Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | DXLab by AA6YQ Help

Reviews Summary for DXLab by AA6YQ
DXLab by AA6YQ Reviews: 127 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $Free
Description: Integrated suite of programs for logging and station management
More info: http://www.dxlabsuite.com

You can write your own review of the DXLab by AA6YQ.

KM1C Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2014 08:56 Send this review to a friend
Has saved my DXing life!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have now used the DXLab suite for well over one year. It has become the centerpiece of my ham shack. Incredible real-time tracking of all DX confirmations and DX needs by band and mode. Supports DXCC, VUCC, WAZ, and a multitude of other award programs. Integration with LOTW is seamless. I really enjoy the use of WinWarbler, the module that handles PSK and RTTY QSOs. All modules talk to each other, upgrades are handled very smoothly via the DXLab Launcher program. Supporting documentation is fantastic, as is info on the Yahoo Group. The spot filtering functions are superb when looking for only the elusive "new ones". Having said all of this, I am probably only tapping into about 25% of the power of the overall program. I learn something new about it almost every day, and it is fun! Dave, AA6YQ, will not accept any contributions for this great software. You can, however, make contributions to charitable organizations on his behalf. My choice is St.Judes Childrens Research Hospital. This is a nice way to thank Dave for his efforts while also helping those in need. 73 and see you in the pileups! de Bill KM1C

AG1T Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2014 10:48 Send this review to a friend
Finally a suite of ham software that works well!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have hunted long and hard for a windows replacement for an old piece of logger software that no longer runs on current versions of windows. I wanted an integrated suite that did many things in a manor that was pleasing to my eyes and easy to work with. I tried and paid for two other so called suites (Cost around $200). I was very displeased. They did not work or did not have the functionality I needed.

DXLabs has what I needed. With LoTW, eQSL, and ClubLog integrated (and tracked!). It fits the bill well. The support is awesome. I usually get a reply to my query in hours not days. It has multi-monitor support. It works with my favorite DX cluster. It alarms for me, it emails me.

I would pay double what I paid for the last to spota suites for DXLabs and still would feel I am cheating the author. He does not accept a dime for his efforts.

Excellent software!

N8XI Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2013 20:46 Send this review to a friend
Commander  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using 4 of the DXLab suites for several years.
I decided to start using Commander.
Had a couple of DB-9 serial ports added to this W7 PC when I purchased it.
NOT from a big lot store :)
So, it was fairly straightforward to set up.

Commander has all that I could ask for!!

No more having to set up the V>M and M>V keys for memory use on the OMNI VII.

Commander has 10 banks with 10 memory slots each.
Press the 'sel'ect button and your there :)

Too bad I didn't try this sooner.

I have been well pleased with all the DXLab programs and Commander makes it that much more fun.
Especially when using Bandspread window.

Like shooting fish in a barrel:)

73, Rick - N8XI

AF9W Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2013 14:16 Send this review to a friend
As I learn more I love it more  Time owned: more than 12 months
I began using DXLab a little over a year ago. I was looking for a logging program to run on my Mac Air. I tried the free programs and RumLog was pretty good but it wasn't good at helping me track QSO's with CWOPS, SKCC, NAQCC, and other club members. I tried DXLab based on the eHam reviews and it does everything I want. I travel extensively in the summer and DXLab makes it easy to keep track of multiple locations and multiple radios. You can't beat the price and support. The author listens to users and adds features to help users get the most value from the software. It has a bit of a learning curve but like N1MM you start slow and then use more features as you get comfortable with the software.

AB4BJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2013 10:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent software package  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this software package for several years. It is an excellent all-in-one solution for station control, logging, DX spotting, digital modes, etc. Not only that, but it has the best customer service I have experienced with any ham radio software. The author, Dave, AA6YQ, listens to his users and provides frequent updates to make sure the software is current with super functionality. Try it!

VU2CDP Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2013 03:44 Send this review to a friend
Knowledge is power!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent suite of software programs. The functionality and support is better than what one would get for paid software. It has a learning curve but then so does the hobby itself. May not seem very intuitive to begin with but as one takes the time to understand every functionality, one comes to appreciate how powerful the application suite really is. Seemed overwhelming at the beginning and the GUI (or lack of it) wasn't very exciting to look at, but DXLab is more about substance than form.

DXing success is a mix of station capability, operator skills, location and knowledge. The DXLab Suite arms you with enough information to improve your knowledge of DXing and eventual DX success. IMHO, this is a very valuable tool to have in the arsenal.

Thank you Dave!

Deepak VU2CDP

WH7DX Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2013 17:42 Send this review to a friend
INTENSE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
W3QT - I second those statements.

I was using N1MM and happy with the speed and simplicity. Wasn't paying attention to awards and had fairly recently started logging on my computer. I was playing around with contests and chatting with whomever was out there.

I looked around and DXKeeper offered what I needed and the speed was still there. You can't beat the price and the entire package of software is really something, and it was all free, how rare.

I have spent countless hours getting it all put together, software, QSL cards entered, DXCC online updated, QSL records correctly noted, Clublog loaded and QSL log chart printed out for notes, LOTW award accounts set, postage ordered, envelopes and labels purchased, money ready.. WOW. So organized.. :-)

Now I need to raise my Antenna up another 10ft!!

W3QT Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2013 08:24 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Program - Unequaled Support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I migrated to the DXLab Suite from HRD. I wish I had done it years earlier! I tried the Suite several years ago, but at the time it seemed to be too complex, so I gave up and stayed with HRD. After all, it was working so why switch?

Well, I've tried it again, only this time with an attitude of sticking with it. The learning curve has been fantastic, and that's primarily because of Dave's (AA6YQ) incredibly patient and insightful support, both of which are absolutely praiseworthy. As far as functionality of the Suite's programs, I'm constantly amazed by the new things I am discovering and the things the programs tell you that before could only be tracked down with great effort. About the only task they won't do for you is explain to your wife why you're spending so much time on the radio! In short, if it isn't obvious by now, in my opinion Dave and his fantastic suite of programs are hands down the best out there. I challenge anyone to take an issue they are having with their software and within several hours have the developer of the software explain the issue, give detailed steps for resolution, and give manual references to resolve the issue. Thanks, Dave!

ON4VP Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2013 20:39 Send this review to a friend
Loaded with features, great support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I installed the suite and requested to join the Yahoo support group, the first message from Dave were: "Don't be afraid to post questions, even if they were handled before". With other words, a warm welcome and not like in other reflectors where a new kid on the block gets being bashed for asking a question that was asked before.

This almost immediately make me feel good about trying to learn to know the suite. And you should. It takes some time to go trough all the documentation and learn to understand all the suite has to offer. A good advise from Dave is to start using what you need, get familiar and work yourself trough the process.

I've been using logger32 for years. So adapting to dxlab took some time. But it paid off. I now got to the point where I'm going to work from here and stay with the suite to maintain my logs. I'm thinking about installing the suite on my laptops to for portable use.

Some very positive observations that I made as they are personal to my taste:

- Fantastic and very fast support.
- Interesting Yahoo support group.
- Good wiki pages with first time usage tips.
- Loaded with features and tools
- Great dx spots collector with lots of filters.
- DX view window with tonnes of information.
- Propagation prediction built right in.
- LOTW EQSL and Clublog supported with (semi) auto functions for up and downloading and QSL-ing.
- Support for multiple monitors.
- Extended CAT support for most radios.
- Multiple radios supported.
- Antenna rotator control supported.

Some observations I made that I'm have to getting used to:

- Because of the extended modules, loading the suite takes some time.
- Because of the extended logbook functions, response of the logbook windows is rather slow.
- Fully loaded and in use, takes up fair amount of computer resources.
- Could not find a shortkey for SP or LP antenna turning without leaving qso input window.
- Fairly steep learning curve before you are familiar with the suite.
- Could not find a way to reduce the amount of windows in the win warbler window for digital modes. To my taste 3 qso's is to much.

The balance is very positive. After I got familiar with most parts of the suite, I started to like the suite a lot and I'm enjoying all the features that I'm interested in. A lot of the parts are loaded with tools. First impression when loading the suite was perhaps that the interface looks a bit to much visual basic but that's a minor thing. What counts is the way most things work and interact making it a fine suite to help the operator supervising his logging and dx work.

K7JBQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2013 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Great tools  Time owned: more than 12 months
The only two things missing from this product are:

1) Eye Candy
2) Price

Simply the best suite of programs for the DXer. As others have stated, support is incredible.

Bill