Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | DXLab by AA6YQ Help

Reviews Summary for DXLab by AA6YQ
DXLab by AA6YQ Reviews: 155 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $Free
Description: Integrated suite of programs for logging and station management

You can write your own review of the DXLab by AA6YQ.

K3TN Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2016 04:25 Send this review to a friend
Complex, but does everything and support is great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used all the major logging programs and settled on DXLab about 5 years ago. At first it seemed very complicated, 5 or six different programs to installed compared to one or two for the other logging programs. But once you do that you realized all the modules play together seamlessly and it is nice to only run or have displayed a few of them at a time under certain operating conditions.

My rating is a 5 for features, reliability and support, and the fact that of all the ones I've used DXLab just makes it easier to operate the way I'd like to operated.

There are few areas that could improve. I like the way DM780 in HRD works better than I do WinWarbler in DXLab for RTTY and PSK. I'd like it easy to directly enter a frequency, even without Commander active on the screen, a few other areas.

But overall just a great piece of software - and the support by AA6YQ is phenomenal. 99% of the time he solved a problem the same day by explaining how, and where fixes are required, they come out within a weei.
WW3S Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2016 18:19 Send this review to a friend
simply the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
support is great, does everything you would want in a logger and more, and you cant beat the price !!!!! There is a somewhat steep learning curve involved, but there is a super supportive user group and the author, Dave, never sleeps !!!! The learning curve is expected with all the features and full intergration of all the different modules...the beauty is, if you dont want all the modules, dont run them, only run what you need or want.....tracking awards, DXCC, whatever has never been easier, and I've tried them all at some point in time.....did I mention you cant beat the price !!!!!
W6LAX Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2016 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Complete station software  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Because they discontinued maintenance, I reluctantly gave-up my WinEQF after using it for two decades.

I proceeded to test-drive the well-known software bundles before settling on DXLabs, and am very pleased with my choice. As other reviewers have said, I would gladly pay $100 or more for what is currently a free bundle of software programs that manages many aspects of radio operation, digital modes, DX spotting, propagation prediction and logging.

The transition required a little while for me to become comfortable and to adjust everything to my liking. I would suggest that a new user take it slow and download one program at a time, become familiar with it and then download another to see how they integrate. I started with WinWarbler, several days later added DXKeeper, then SpotCollector, etc. When you are finished, you’ll find that everything seamlessly integrates. There are a couple of YouTube videos that you may find helpful.

There’s a lot to like with DXLabs, and as time passes I keep discovering more features. I find the band spread display to be particularly helpful; it tracks what stations are operating on what frequencies, and when you click on one of them it automatically changes your transceiver frequency and even tunes to the last reported split frequency. If you choose, it will automatically rotate your antenna to the correct beam heading. Then, with the click of your mouse you can view the home page of the station you’re working. If you subscribe to QRZ xml, all the operator’s information will automatically appear in your log. The click of a mouse takes you to a choice of ham-oriented world maps, or to Google Earth zeroed-in on the other station’s QTH.

I prefer using keyboard commands to a mouse, and DXLabs supplies a pretty complete set of keyboard shortcuts. Each program has its own “configure” button that lets us set-up that program to your own liking. Many hams do their logging directly on DXKeeper, but I’ve found that the WinWarbler works better for me because it lets me set-up macros for CW via WinKey (and other modes via Rigblaster), which are then automatically logged.

There is plenty of space on my monitor to display all the active pages as long as I minimize those that I only use occasionally. At first my monitor appeared cluttered and overwhelming, but it did not take long to learn exactly where to look for the information I need; after a few weeks it is second nature. The “Launcher” will initiate all your programs and place each window exactly where you left it during your last session, and it will shut everything down for you when you are finished. The Launcher also alerts you to program updates.

The ham community owes a big “thank you” to AA6YQ and the others who are volunteering their time and talent to provide this service.
K0ZR Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2016 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My station is "wired" for SO2R and not all the general logging software available support this. DXLab does a nice job of seamlessly allowing me to switch from one radio to another unlike some of the others. With SO2R comes talking with the other peripherals SO2R entails. DXLab works great. DX4WIN was my favorite until going to SO2R, and unfortunately DX4WIN cannot see my second radio no matter what I have tried. Other simpler software packages just don't support more than one radio. This more than fits the bill for general logging.
ZS1DX Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2015 23:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Logging Software  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using DXKeeper (part of the comprehensive DXLab suite) for more than a year now. Currently running great on Windows10 64 Bit, scaled to 125%. I'm a past user of DX4WIN, AC Log by N3FJP, and Win-EQF. And I've test-driven MacLoggerDX, Log4OM and Ham Radio Deluxe. DXKeeper is easily my favourite logger. Relatively easy to learn, full-featured, up-to-date and extremely well supported with a very active Yahoo Group providing insight and help where needed. I value the excellent integration with LOTW (awesome, easy system btw.), eQSL and ClubLog. Once the Log Page display/layout/colums have been set to your liking, with font style/size etc., it is very easy to navigate and interpret. And DXKeeper keeps perfect and easy track of all the various awards available. Although I don't often use the numerous other programs in the DXLab Suite, they are well integrated and make for a very effective DX'ing support/info/logging setup. JT65/JT9 logging is a breeze with the excellent integration of JTAlert and WSJT-X. I would pay $100 for DXKeeper, but Dave AA6YQ does not accept money. Amazing. While MacLoggerDX is certainly prettier to look at, and well-featured, I much prefer the power and configurability of DXKeeper. Definately worth a test-drive if you're serious about logging your precious DX contacts, tracking awards, and don't have time to waste with so-so loggers. Thank you Dave! 73 and good luck, Christian
K2SN Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2015 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Enormously helpful for DXing  Time owned: more than 12 months
Dave, AA6YQ and his DXLab software suite have powerfully enhanced my DX activities. Although I have been continually licensed since 1958, constraints of school, work, and family limited my air time. In infrequent sessions, using General class license WA2DFP, I occasionally worked a DX station, but remained far from DXCC. My log was always pencil on paper. After retirement, with family grown, I began looking again at my 20-year-old transceiver. Computerized logging seemed worthwhile. With some false starts, I came to DXLab, only for DXKeeper, the logging module. For a while I also kept the pencil and paper log, just in case the computer idea didn’t work out. But of course, it did work well, and I added a refurbished desktop machine dedicated to this new purpose. DX became more interesting, so I added SpotCollector. Now the internet pointed me to needed QSOs. This inspired equipment upgrades in the shack, from the ground rods on up. The Commander module allowed SpotCollector to tune the transceiver to the desired frequency. DXView rotated the antenna and displayed entity status, while Pathfinder facilitated the QSL process. For the first time, digital modes came into play, enabled by WinWarbler. Amazing support from Dave (does he ever sleep?) and the DXLab Yahoo group taught me how to make things work. All of that led to upgrading the operator to Amateur Extra class. In less than a two-year timespan, using just a 25-foot high Yagi with a 10-foot boom, only on 10, 15, and 20 meters, over 200 entities are confirmed on each band and each mode, for a total of 265 mixed as of July 2015, plus the WAS Triple Play. I certainly would not have reached these milestones without Dave and his marvelous DXLab software, the brains of my station.
VK3MEG Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2015 14:44 Send this review to a friend
the best Logger  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Dx labs suite is the best logging and software managing prorgam. i have used.

if you have hrd and are considering change DO IT this software might not look as shiny but the level of usability and function its amazing. it is as close to a mission critical software that i can find. rock solid logger rock solid cw keyer, the same for rtty and psk. So if the dx comes up quick and you are there early you wont be fluffing around trying to get your unsupported software running. you will point and shoot in a minute or 2 you will be looking for the next new one. this is for the DX'er who wants rock soild reliability.

btw migration from hrd takes a while but is worth work the work

K3GC Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2015 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Solid App and it works well  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After way too much frustration with my previous logger (Logic9) I investigated most of the selections and there is great choice. I ended up settling on DXLab.
It has a very steep learning curve but then so do most of the other offerings. A complete logger is going to require a lot of setup. If a logger is going to meet the requirement of a group as diverse as HAMs it is going to have to offer a huge selection of options.
It is free and probably shouldn't be but far be it from me to complain.
I would like to see it support more than 2 receivers - 8 anyone? I am sure that will happen as more and more hams go to software defined radios like Flex.
For those like me who like to venture out on the cutting edge DXLab works perfectly so far as I can tell with Windows 10.
VK4WTN Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2014 14:18 Send this review to a friend
Its great  Time owned: more than 12 months
hi all,I have run DXkeeper as my logger for several years now and find it great.I also now use Commander to control my TS590 and use Winwarbler,DX view and Spotter. These are all great programs to use and I am a computer challenged ham. Any problems that I have had (all my own fault) have always answere quickly on the reflector.(I dont know if Dave actually ever sleeps). The program can do many things but I keep it simple. I will never use another logging program its simply the best
regards Wayne VK4WTN
AE3K Rating: 0/5 Dec 21, 2014 10:54 Send this review to a friend
Surely you're joking.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My initial opinion is, "Surely you're joking." I understand that this software gets overwhelmingly positive reviews, but I do not concur.

I installed the software and imported my log. I clicked through a few QSOs, happening to click on one with TO5A, which the software cannot categorize. Okay so far.

But it's not okay that it pops up a dialog that tells me that I must "click okay and correct the flashing field(s)", and then refuse to proceed until I do. I have no idea what it wants me to do or how to do it.

And, understand this, the problem is not with me. All I'm doing is looking at the log. This program expects me to have its worldview, expects me to know to "correct the flashing field(s)", and the only way out that I could find was to exit the program.

Followed by uninstalling it.

No doubt I could get a Ph.D. in DXLab and think it is wonderful.

From a software developer's point of view, the choices in ham radio logging software are bad. But this is one of the most infuriating I've tried.