Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - 6M/VHF/UHF+ | TE Systems 0552G 50 Mhz 375 watts linear amplifier Help

Reviews Summary for TE Systems 0552G 50 Mhz 375 watts linear amplifier
TE Systems 0552G 50 Mhz 375 watts linear amplifier Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $500
Description: Frequency: 50-54Mhz (tuned for 2 Mhz bandwidth) Input power: 10-25 watts; Output power: >375 watts; Amp. Ratio: 15 (25watt in 375 watt out); Class operation: AB linear;
Rx preamp gain: >15db; Rx preamp NF : <0.6db; Power: 13.8v 55A

You can write your own review of the TE Systems 0552G 50 Mhz 375 watts linear amplifier.

DF9CY Rating: 4/5 Aug 3, 2009 05:14 Send this review to a friend
Good little power booster  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this amplifier last year (2008) as second hand for a danish friend, but since then he used it only a few times. Before the 0552G went to OZ, I took it to my RF workbench. The driving transverter has an output power of 25W - exactly what the 0552G wants to see. We measured this with a R&S power meter, which is rated up to 300W and up to 60 MHz. Output power we see is about 240W. Oh, this is low, you may say, but the power supply is only capable of delivering 11,3V at 50A (11,7V with no load). Input SWR of the PA is less than 1:1.2 in any case. At first we thought, one of the transistors may be dead with that "low" output power, but they are all OK. So it must be the low supply voltage, which on the other hand makes operation more robust. Destroyed transistors will be expensive to replace. We added a fan running permanently at low speed and this keeps the heatsink cool even after longer transmission periods.
I am indeed missing some safety circuit especially against high output SWR and overdrive, therefore I can rate this amp only at 4/5.
With a HP8970B noise figure meter I could measure a gain of 19 dB and noise figure of 1,3dB for the built-in receive preamplifier - we do not use it, as in most occasions the surrounding noise is higher.
So if you are looking for a "little power boost" this may be a box for. If you treat it carefully it does its job and lives for a long time.
GL and 73

K9KJM Rating: 0/5 May 23, 2009 00:58 Send this review to a friend
Overpriced junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine NEVER did put out full advertised power, But to make up for that, It smoked the finals
(TE said it was "overdriven") Even cheapo Mirage amps have overdrive protection!

AND the bill to simply check it over will floor you!

I finally got rid of this TE garbage and got a King Conversion SB 220 tube amp that DOES put out REAL power on 6!

W4MAA Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2008 10:31 Send this review to a friend
QRO on 6 Meters!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned the TE Systems 6 meter PA for about 1 year now and is a compliment to my VHF side of my shack. With around 20-25 watts drive seeing around 190+ watts on RMS!!! Its PEP takes the meter of the scale at over 400 watts. I have also noticed that small bursts of 28 watts drive give you 200+ RMS watts and must be run with a large power supply. I recommend a power supply of 70 amps. The PA is run at around 15v input DC and works very well. I run VHF contests and local dx ragchews 100 miles away with ease with a 3 element beam. I bought it second hand but was checked by TE Systems and got the clean bill of health. I had the smaller 6 meter PA that TE Systems made and worked great also. AM/FM/SSB operation with and adjustable delay can't be beat. Can't wait for 6 meters to come alive if solar cycle 24 ever gets here. A+ 5 rating!

VR2XMQ Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2008 03:39 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased second hand the TE 0552G RA which is basically the 0552G placed into a 19 inch rack mount with dual blower fans for cont.-duty. The unit was in brand new tip top condition.

I removed the unit from the rack mount and am using it as the basic stand alone 0552G unit and I am very pleased with the performance.

This one is a keeper. The 19" rack moubnt blower has been stored away and may find some other use some day?

73 Steve, VR2XMQ

KI4KVS Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2006 11:31 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I, also, bought directly from TE Systems. The amp arrived on a Friday, and it was being shipped back the following Monday. I understand "infant mortality" in solid state devices, so I wasn't too upset. It took two months (THAT did make me upset) for the amp to be returned (no charge for the work) - a relay was bad. Since this review is about the amplifier, and not TE Systems' "service", I'll just say that calls were not made, as promised, nor were emails sent, as promised.

The amplifier, itself, works as advertised. If you put a good drive signal into it, you'll get a good signal out of it. If your drive is over modulated, or has any problems, the amplifier does what it's supposed to do, and passes them along - at a much more noticeable level!

Good product, made by what appears to be a good, but very understaffed, company. I've owned it for over three months, but have only been using it for one.

W5WVO Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2006 19:05 Send this review to a friend
Truly excellent amplifier  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my 0552G directly from TE Systems, as their few distributors seem to be usually out of stock of this highly sought-after unit. Delivery was quick, and the packing for shipment was way into overkill mode. It took five minutes to completely unpackage it! Impressive.

I found the manual to be fairly comprehensive (though being a tech writer, I have pretty persnickety standards for such things). I was able to get it hooked up and working without any glitches.

Performance results have been outstanding. Though TE Systems conservatively rates the unit for 25W of drive (producing 375W output), I found through testing that it will easily produce 450W output with a totally clean signal. Heavy-duty use at this level isn't recommended, but with an outboard muffin fan, it should handle it. I run mine at 400W (27W drive) and it never overheats, no external fan required.

The built-in receive preamp isn't needed in my situation because my external noise floor is way above the internal noise generated in my receive chain. I simply leave it turned off. If you live in an exceptionally quiet place (don't I wish I did!), the preamp would probably be more useful.

Most people who own this amplifier power it with an Astron RS-70M analog power supply, and I'm no exception. This power supply is reviewed separately and is also highly recommended.

I highly recommend this amplifier to anyone.

N3JBH Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2006 09:45 Send this review to a friend
simply wonderful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very nice amplifier. Well constructed with excellent manual.
And it includes the accessory plug and crimp on wire connectors. Nothing extra to ever buy.
As far as shipping they packed this amp for war. They sure don't skimp on that. Delivery time was about a week. And I am very happy with them. I will do business with Te systems again. Jeff n3jbh

AD5TH Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2006 16:48 Send this review to a friend
Solid as a ROCK Performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Just as stout as my other TE amp (1452G) and runs at full tilt 400W+m with no complaints.
Photos of inside and out as well as 0552G owner's manual with schematic, parts list, test procedure etc at this link

K4LRX Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2004 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Good Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this unit on six meter SSB for the last five years,and it is a solid performer.T.E. had originally suggested 75 watts of drive for this model. Later, this was updated to 25 watts of drive for it to produce 400 watts. As a result of this suggestion the 552 runs forever with out overheating and shutting down as it did with 75 watts of drive.

The amplifier reflects professional workmanship, but the company is a little slow on response time for replacement parts.

Only real draw back for this amplifier is you must have a heavy duty power supply to handle it. I use the Astron 70 amp supply; with full power output of 400 watts you are pulling close to 50 amperes! Additionally make sure you are using a 10 to 12 gauge wire going from the amp to the power supply.

The T/R relay is a little slow and caused the FET on the Preamp of my T.E. two meter amp to short. You may have the same problem with the six meter amp as well,but if your unit does not come with the preamp,then no problem.

I checked my unit on a Tectronix 492 Spectrum Analyzer and found it emitted a very clean signal.

I would certainly suggest the 552 six meter amp and the 1454G two meter amp to other hams as a well constructed and reliable addition to your ham shack!

VR2XMC Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2003 08:20 Send this review to a friend
A solid performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ordered two amplifiers to Hong Kong about 3 years ago. I had to wait 3 months before I got them because TE Systems placed priority on government orders first.

While my amplifier has been used only a few times, my colleague's one has been used all day long. As far as I am aware, my colleague's amplifier is still under perfect good working condition. The amplifier runs hours after hours and can still give solid output at 375 watts at least.

The amplifier consists of matched quad transistors for the PA. The RX amplifier is using a commercial grade GasFET. Craftman ship of the amplifier is excellent. It is a solid performer. I shall recommend it to any 6 metre operators who need power lower than 500 watts.

You may wish to ask why I have used the amplifier so few times. Shortly after I bought this amplifier, I got an ICOM ICPW-1 at a very good price. Clearly, I would prefer using PW-1 with my ICOM rigs. Nevertheless, it is unfair to compare this amplifier with PW-1 because they are in different classes.