Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - 6M/VHF/UHF+ | TE Systems 0552G 50 Mhz 375 watts linear amplifier Help

Reviews Summary for TE Systems 0552G 50 Mhz 375 watts linear amplifier
TE Systems 0552G 50 Mhz 375 watts linear amplifier Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $500
Description: Frequency: 50-54Mhz (tuned for 2 Mhz bandwidth) Input power: 10-25 watts; Output power: >375 watts; Amp. Ratio: 15 (25watt in 375 watt out); Class operation: AB linear;
Rx preamp gain: >15db; Rx preamp NF : <0.6db; Power: 13.8v 55A

You can write your own review of the TE Systems 0552G 50 Mhz 375 watts linear amplifier.

AD5TH Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2006 16:48 Send this review to a friend
Solid as a ROCK Performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Just as stout as my other TE amp (1452G) and runs at full tilt 400W+m with no complaints.
Photos of inside and out as well as 0552G owner's manual with schematic, parts list, test procedure etc at this link

K4LRX Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2004 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Good Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this unit on six meter SSB for the last five years,and it is a solid performer.T.E. had originally suggested 75 watts of drive for this model. Later, this was updated to 25 watts of drive for it to produce 400 watts. As a result of this suggestion the 552 runs forever with out overheating and shutting down as it did with 75 watts of drive.

The amplifier reflects professional workmanship, but the company is a little slow on response time for replacement parts.

Only real draw back for this amplifier is you must have a heavy duty power supply to handle it. I use the Astron 70 amp supply; with full power output of 400 watts you are pulling close to 50 amperes! Additionally make sure you are using a 10 to 12 gauge wire going from the amp to the power supply.

The T/R relay is a little slow and caused the FET on the Preamp of my T.E. two meter amp to short. You may have the same problem with the six meter amp as well,but if your unit does not come with the preamp,then no problem.

I checked my unit on a Tectronix 492 Spectrum Analyzer and found it emitted a very clean signal.

I would certainly suggest the 552 six meter amp and the 1454G two meter amp to other hams as a well constructed and reliable addition to your ham shack!

VR2XMC Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2003 08:20 Send this review to a friend
A solid performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ordered two amplifiers to Hong Kong about 3 years ago. I had to wait 3 months before I got them because TE Systems placed priority on government orders first.

While my amplifier has been used only a few times, my colleague's one has been used all day long. As far as I am aware, my colleague's amplifier is still under perfect good working condition. The amplifier runs hours after hours and can still give solid output at 375 watts at least.

The amplifier consists of matched quad transistors for the PA. The RX amplifier is using a commercial grade GasFET. Craftman ship of the amplifier is excellent. It is a solid performer. I shall recommend it to any 6 metre operators who need power lower than 500 watts.

You may wish to ask why I have used the amplifier so few times. Shortly after I bought this amplifier, I got an ICOM ICPW-1 at a very good price. Clearly, I would prefer using PW-1 with my ICOM rigs. Nevertheless, it is unfair to compare this amplifier with PW-1 because they are in different classes.