Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet SBB-5NMO Help

Reviews Summary for Comet SBB-5NMO
Comet SBB-5NMO Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $54.99
Description: Mobile fold-over antenna.
146MHz 3.0 dBi 1/2wave;446MHz 5.5 dBi 5/8wave x2
VSWR 1.5:1 or less; Max power 120W FM; Length 38"
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/mobile.html

You can write your own review of the Comet SBB-5NMO.

KD5GR Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2016 22:56 Send this review to a friend
The answer for Corvettes  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this antenna for about 4 years on my Corvette Coupe. It is mounted on the hatch with a DIY trunk lid type mount. Commercial mounts wouldn't work because of the thickness of the hatch and the gap between it and the quarter panel.

The antenna has performed very well with my Kenwood TM-V71A on both 2 meters and 70cm. With no metal in the body of the car, I was not optimistic I would find anything that would work well. The SBB-5NMO was a very pleasant surprise.

If you Corvette or Jeep guys are looking for an antenna with good performance, give the SBB-5NMO a try. Hopefully it will work as well for you as it has on my car.

KF5UOV Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2015 13:47 Send this review to a friend
3yrs w/Handheld and still going great...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got my Tech a few years. Bought a Yaesu VX-6R 5w handheld and mounted this antenna to the left lip on the rear door of my FJ Cruiser using a Diamond K400SNMO mount.

The SBB-5NMO extends up probably 24in above the peak of the roof line and performs great, regularly receiving from repeaters +25mi away while transmitting from the handheld to about half that distance on average, sometimes 15-20mi when terrain and conditions are right.

Durability has been very good. Despite numerous tree incursions and having driven 'full speed' into parking garages on occasion the antenna works just like new and the powdercoat has really held up as well. The mount has actually started to give regularly and won't hold the straight upright position. I'm considering moving the mount location down to the door hinge, but I don't know if the roof groundplane will interfere too much (8" lower height difference) or if I'll have to get a longer/higher gain antenna.

Looking at Comet SBB-7NMO as a possible longer length/higher gain alternative, but based on reviews here I won't give up my stolid SBB-5NMO if I don't have to.

KG6UTS Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2015 08:33 Send this review to a friend
Tough antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I posted on this antenna back in 2005 and still have the very same antenna on my Jeep. It has been to Baja many times, has lots of trips to the Mojave, Sonoran and Yuha deserts, tons of street/highway miles and never failed to work. The SBB5NMO is well worth the money.

EdZ KG6UTS

AI6JA Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2014 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Solid performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using this antenna for a couple of months with a Yaesu FT-8800R. It works great. It's lip mounted on the trunk of my Ford Focus. The black color makes it blend in so it's hard to tell I have an antenna mounted. I get good range, routinely hitting repeaters that are 30+ miles away on both 70 cm and 2m. My signal and audio reports are good.

I would by again, but probably won't have to for a long time, since it's very well built. I would also recommend this antenna to others.

HIFLYER_SEATTLE Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2012 13:03 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this antenna about a week, replacing a cheaper antenna that had bad performance due to an unacceptable SWR. This one is awesome! I am using it with a Yaesu 2900R on 2M only, and it provides excellent signal at distances beyond what I expected. When compared to the competition, it is much higher quality of construction and materials. I would strongly recommend it.

KJ6MSG Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2011 17:52 Send this review to a friend
Solid product.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the SBB-5NMO installed on my Chevy Silverado on a hood lip mount, attached to a Yaesu FT-7900R. It's a quality product and I have had no problems with it. I consistently receive very good signal reports with the antenna/radio combination.

KD0NFF Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2011 09:19 Send this review to a friend
Works Perfectly  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Very well-built antenna. No problem reaching and receiving distant repeaters/simplex stations. Great SWR values on both VHF and UHF, no higher than 1.4:1 anywhere in either band. Works acceptably well on UHF GMRS also.

I have to confess that I regularly hit this antenna with up to 140W on FM and it handles it like a champ. This exceeds the rated power handling capability, so it is NOT recommended unless you're like me and don't mind pushing things a bit from time to time. My example has held up to these power levels with no difficulty however.

AF6AU Rating: 4/5 Aug 26, 2010 07:40 Send this review to a friend
Pretty decent out of the box. And it really is tunable!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have to admit I'm a perfectionist.. The SBB5NMO came to necessity after my old midland dual bander's plastic case came loose from the nmo female bottom and ruined the thing. My installation is dead center through-the-roof of a Ford Escape, using a new Larsen roof nmo-k kit. No paint on the inside, silver pl-259, belden cable. Bought the antenna at HRO Anaheim Calif., for the $55 Aug. 2010 "on special" price ($5 off). Funny, off E-bay it was $49+$9 shipping, so $55+ tax was only $4 more, and no wait.

Out of the package, I could swear that this antenna had NO tip-over hinge, as the paint just glued the joint together. I wiggled it and must have pulled 20Lbs force on it before it broke loose. Out-of-the package installed SWR was a worse-case 1.5:1. For me, that's okay for quick and dirty, but not good enough. I was going to run my Alinco hand-held through it, so I needed to radiate every watt of the few I had. I noted that the SWR was better on the bottom frequencies for both bands so I decided to shorten the whip. Don't try to use cutters unless they have hard chrome or carbide edges. I wrecked my good Klein cutters on that whip, it muse be 17-4 or 17-7 Full or Extra hard stainless. Use a dremel with a cut-off wheel, and remove the paint with Scotchbrite. In total I cut-off just over 1/2 inch (12mm)from the original length.

The results:
144.01=1.3:1, 145.0=1.15, 146.0=1.05, 147=1.1 (no needle motion at all!) 147.995=1.15:1.

440.01=1.02, 441.0=1.2, 443.0=1.4, 445.0=1.5, 447.0=1.4, 449.0=1.2, 449.99=1.2. I could go a bit shorter, but this is okay.

Since you trim the bottom of the whip, and it's really 2 stacked radiators on 70cm, I guess their independent reactions to frequency make the odd middle peaked curve.

I would have gave it a 5 if not for the stuck fold over swivel, and not 1 bit of tuning informaion or suggestions in the package or online. This is why I included my tuning process.

Overall a nice antenna, performance is equal to the others in the 40 inch length range, it's flexible, the built-in hinge joint is handy, and yes by gum it can be tuned.

Jon Lenhert
AF6AU

AE7QT Rating: 4/5 Jun 22, 2010 18:53 Send this review to a friend
ssb-5 good times!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I definatly would have to agree with the other reviews. I have had this antenna mounted on my semi truck for almost 2 years, and in the roughly 200,000 miles or so, it has seen everything, as far as weather, birds, bugs, and perhaps a little bit too much power. I run about 110 watts fm through it on regular basis. Not to say that every one of those antennas will do that, but mine seems to just keep chugging right along. I have had some 150 mile plus contacts simplex on ssb and fm, so the gain + amp realy seem to do the job. My band width on 2m= 139meg - 151meg with less than 2 swr. on 70c= 435meg - 456meg with less than 2 swr. This antenna seems to have a big bang with the small bucks you shell out. The only improvement I will seem to be able to get is some how find a much larger high gain antenna, but like most said, this is light and seems to take a lickin and keeps on tickin.
73's
Rod
KE7UTP
p.s. listen for me on 146.52 & 144.200 usb, up and down I-5, I-84, I-80, and I-15. I seem to travel these roads a lot.

KI5SO Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2010 06:29 Send this review to a friend
Small and powerful  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antenna is stealthy and actually looks good on my Prius. It doesn't take a strong mount to hold it in place. I never had to tune it. It has excellent swr everywhere on 2 meters and 440. The reception is really good and it reaches distance repeater. It's every bit as good as a Larson 2 meter 5/8's wave. How can any other mobile antenna be that much better? It's inexpensive. So, if you need a dual band antenna and want it to perform and not ugly up your car, try this antenna.