Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet SBB-5NMO Help

Reviews Summary for Comet SBB-5NMO
Comet SBB-5NMO Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $54.99
Description: Mobile fold-over antenna.
146MHz 3.0 dBi 1/2wave;446MHz 5.5 dBi 5/8wave x2
VSWR 1.5:1 or less; Max power 120W FM; Length 38"
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/mobile.html

You can write your own review of the Comet SBB-5NMO.

W9GSD Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2009 16:18 Send this review to a friend
5/5  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
GREAT WORKING ANTENNA FOR BOTH BANDS. LOVE THE FOLD OVER FEATURE. NOT A HEAVY ANTENNA LIKE MY DIAMOND SUPERGAINER SG-7500NMO. THEY BOTH ARE GREAT ANTENNAS BUT THE COMET IS CHEAPER, LIGHTER IN WEIGHT, AND STEALTHY. YOU DO NOT "SEE" THE ANTENNA THAT WELL OUT WHILE DRIVING OR AT NIGHT IN THE PARKING LOTS WHILE SHOPPING. PEOPLE DONT EVEN KNOW YOU HAVE A ANTENNA ON YOUR VEHICLE.

K0KMP Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2008 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Great bang for the buck!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Durable, versatile, and performs extremely well on 2m. 70cm has a bit less gain performance on this antenna. Extremely durable, fold-over is faultless and makes getting in and out of ramps and garages easy. I have forgotten to fold it over a couple times as well and have whacked it on beams and dragged it on ceilings. Still looks and works like brand-new. Also, it has (thus far) survived and extremely cold and snowy Minnesota winter, road salt and all. I clean it regularly, just to be sure, but I have driven through ice storms and snow showers with it, and it keeps on pumping out great signal every time.

KE5NUC Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2007 16:10 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna, great value!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have it mounted on lip of rear entrance door on 2002 Toyota 4-Runner. On 2m average SWR 1.1 to 1. Slightly less on UHF. Use Yaesu 7800R. Works very, very well. Good looking antenna.

VE5NAT Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2006 17:39 Send this review to a friend
great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have this antenna mounted on a sunfire with a K400 lip mount and it works great. I originally had this antenna on a mag mount on the roof but I changed the SBB 7 with this antenna for the ease of parking underground during the winter. Considering the size of the antenna it works fairly comparable to the SBB 7.

K5LDL Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2003 11:20 Send this review to a friend
Best Dual Band Mobile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have and use SEVERAL mobile antennas. From the SBB1-NMO to Hamsticks to MFJ stuff and everything in between. The stuff that I like and works, I keep. The rest is thrown away. Period. I've had my SBB5-NMO for over 3 years now. And I've put it through quite a bit. Highway speeds over 80mph hitting bugs, hit two birds, three bad hailstorms... add to that going through dense patches of shrubs and trees going to either a contest spot in the woods or a friend's campground, that antenna has stood up to a lot of abuse. I always have to make sure to fold it over when entering our parking garage at work, but even at times when I've forgotten, it's own beefy element and construction have made it through just fine. Have worked a few great band openings with it and have been surprised at its range without the openings. Wonder what its bigger brother, the SBB7-NMO, is doing? I may upgrade to it, if I don't, the SBB5 is what I plan on sticking with. You can't go wrong. BTW, I prefer the NMO mounts and the 3/8" mounts over the PL-259 types. Seem sturdier, and I like the fact that the NMO has a broader support base. Window/glass mount units I don't even bother with.

As always... the very best of 73,

Luis KD5KJD

KC0NZV Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2003 01:58 Send this review to a friend
GREAT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
works great. sways around when I do about 80 but otherwise ok

taken a lot of bugs and dust in its life but still works great

make sure you have a good MAG MOUNT (not glass) and a large metal surface to put it on

Awesome antenna, well worth your money

I use it with a VX-5R by YAESU

(o:

K0KOE Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2003 15:51 Send this review to a friend
A much-improved replacement for the B-20NMO  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I owned the predessor to the SBB-5 (the B-20), but it gave out on me after 18 months of use and abuse; I occasionally forgot to fold it over before driving my pickup into my garage (Oops!... you can't get away with that stunt too many times!). In my search for a replacement I wanted the same great perfomance of the B-20, but without the B-20's often-noted tendency to fold over by itself at highway speeds.

I called Comet and spoke to a technician about the SBB-5. He assured me that it was "beefier" than the old B-20 and would NOT inadvertently fold over at highway speeds. The tech knew what he was talking about, the SBB-5 looks like the B-20 on steroids!

I'm very happy with my SBB-5. After several thousand miles it hasn't ONCE folded over on me while driving down the highway! So... if you're looking for great performance, if you have a high-profile vehicle (like a pickup) and need garage door clearance, then the SBB-5 is for you!!