Reviews Categories | Microphone Equalizers & Transmit Audio Accessories | W2IHY Technologies "Ibox" Amateur Audio Interface Box Help

Reviews Summary for W2IHY Technologies "Ibox" Amateur Audio Interface Box
W2IHY Technologies "Ibox" Amateur Audio Interface Box Reviews: 30 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $80
Description: "Ibox" by W2IHY Technologies uniquely designed to Interface studio audio equipment to amateur radio equipment with P.T.T. switching Included in KIT & FACTORY WIRED/TESTED.
More info: http://w2ihy.com

You can write your own review of the W2IHY Technologies "Ibox" Amateur Audio Interface Box.

KD5VSV Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2007 18:57 Send this review to a friend
Like eating cake  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using the ibox for couple years and it's hands down the easiest way to connect a pro mic to your rig.

Glad back then I ran across Julius's site. Saved me time trying to figure out how to attenuate the mic signal and build the interface.

AD5MD Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2007 08:50 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I called Julius to inquire about my problem with buzz and hum in my audio after connecting a Behringer DEQ-2496. After explaining to me that I would need a variable attenuator of some sort like the I-Box I went ahead and ordered a kit. 3 days after the box came and to my surprise it was an assembled one that he sent (ran out of kits) at the same price! What else can I say, the unit performed well and the service is great. Keep up the good work Julius!

de Ernie, AD5MD

NE4EB Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2007 18:53 Send this review to a friend
A Unique Product that Works Well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First of all, the customer service from Julius is outstanding. Prior to even purchasing this unit, Julius was willing to take time to answer all my silly questions on the phone. Customer service is top notch, and this company ships at lightning speed.

The unit is well built, and the documentation is fine.

I use mine to interface between a mixing console and my Icom 756 Pro III. It works great.

I also purchased audio cables from Julius for the front and rear inputs for my rig. These cables are well built as well. No problems with anything.

I would not hesitate to recommend the IBox to anyone.

N2YHN Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2006 16:18 Send this review to a friend
great little box  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
ordered an i-box from julius on a wednesday (the kit version ,received an assembled version!) ,had it in my hands that saturday , also needed some assistance with the interface cables for an unusual setup ,julius was a great help in resolving my issues , what more can be said that has not been said about this man ? he is a true gentleman in every sense of the word . i have the i-box eq-plus and the 8 band eq in line now ,they are top notch ,thanks julius!

N9VR Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2006 15:35 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
After two years + of running two of the " Ibox's " in my audio chain they still get a 5 Rating from this shack. Dependability + service from W2IHY..A ham serving hams!

73 / N9VR

G4MJA Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2006 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Audio Interface Solution!  Time owned: months
Without taking up too much space let me say I agree with everything that has been written here about this superb little unit- it does exactly what it is supposed to do which is a rarity in this day & age. I run my iBox between a Symetrix 528e voice processor & an Icom 775 DSP feeding direct to the balanced modulator of the radio - perfect control & drive levels. I also ordered the interface cables required from Julius & was impressed with the very high quality when they arrived. The service from Julius is second to none - I emailed him with a query & he phoned me here in the UK within the hour to discuss requirements - THATS SERVICE! If you are serious about playing with audio you need the iBOX, it's a 'cure all' for just about every audio chain problem you may run into. Color me happy!!

ON6CV Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2005 13:24 Send this review to a friend
Go for it !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
W2IHY - iBox - Variable attenuator - Kit version

Hi all,

Well there's not much to say about this little magic black box except it works the way it should ! It's useful to achieve optimum impedance match from low-Z to low-Z or Low-Z to Hi-Z and vice versa. Interface any combination of balanced and unbalanced audio gear, so if you're interested by enhanced SSB (ESSB) or lo-fi SSB, this accessory will be mandatory to convert the high output of your audio processing chain to match the low input of your microphone pre-amp section !

Everything else is described on the website.

So, my review now... as always, I have something to say about everything even when it's perfect ! :-)

First of all, and this is very important, I choose the kit version because I think my soldering iron is a little bit rusty these days ! :-)

The kit is well packaged into a little carton box with all parts detailed and the assembly procedure is very simple and clear... so what ?

This is the only "criticism" I have to say about this iBox, the size of the plastic case is too small in my own opinion... in the assemply procedure, one have to cut some pieces of shielded wires, about 4 inches long, those shielded wires are not very easy to bend without damaging them... so in a box that is only 1 inch high, you'll have some troubles to put the printed board with the components and the audio input, 5 pins DIN audio output, variable resistor and the PTT RCA jack all in this litlle box ! As I don't like to hammer on the parts to get everything in place, I think it was time for a change... read below.

Components are too close from each other once assembled in the box, the risk of a short circuit between connections is obvious so be extremely careful.

Good luck also to put the bolts, washers and tiny nuts to attach the 5 pins DIN connectors to the case, if you have big fingers, try using tweezers instead, if you have Parkinson too, don't loose your self-control (just kidding !).

The assembly is very easy and should be completed in a couple of hours if the box was only a bit bigger, the job could be done for less.

To resolve this issue, I throw away the original black case and I switched for a bigger one with lots of room inside for the connectors with no risk for a short path. The box is now 6" x 3.5" x 2" (L x W x D) (150mm x 90mm x 50mm) with one connector on each side, nothing on top, nothing on the bottom...

I have changed a number of things inside too without modifying the original electronic engineering of course... I just make this iBox right for me, nothing more !

That was interesting with the kit version... you can tweak it ! If you're ordering the assembled version, just plug and play the iBox and enjoy.

Julius D. Jones done a very great job with that small accessory, if it's the VERSION 1, now I have the VERSION 1.01 and that's perfect like this.

I'm using now the iBox with tube studio quality pre-amp from Avalon U5, Behringer VX2000 Ultra-Voice and Focusrite Voice Master, EQ from Behringer, dBX 160A compressor, microphones are : Heil GM-4, Neumann KMS-105 and a brand new Studio Project TB-1 tube studio microphone... without the iBox, forget about using this stuff with a ham radio transceiver.

So as a summary, go the W2IHY website and get yourself an iBox, assembled or not, it will do the job perfectly !

Best regards, take care.

73, Eric de ON6CV.

W9RPE Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2005 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use it every day. Works as advertised!!!

W3PH Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2005 11:47 Send this review to a friend
Great device, great support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a way to connect a Behringer preamp with a mic-level input on a PC - the iBox does this job perfectly, letting me run the preamp at levels that make it happy but dropping the output to a level that makes the PC happy, without limiting frequency response or adding noise.

There was a problem with the first iBox I got, so I sent Julius email asking whether he thought it was the iBox or the way I had it connected. He immediately tracked me down by phone, decided it was the iBox, and shipped out a new one that day with postage-paid box to send back the old one. Julius has a super reputation, and I've seen first hand that he deserves it.

I also bought cables from Julius to connect to several of my rigs, and the iBox works perfectly with those as well. The PTT jack on the iBox lets you connect a hand or foot switch - just the ticket for studio mics that don't have PTT switches.

VK3AP Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2004 20:00 Send this review to a friend
The Solution!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After a lot of research it looked like the iBox was a good solution to interface some of my audio gear
to the FT1000 and IC706MKIIG. A number of emails back and forth and Julius was able to answer all my
questions.

The iBox and cables arrived after only a few days of ordering. Pretty quick to Australia!
This is probably the easiest solution to interfacing ANY professional audio equipment to your radio.

The cable for the 706 was wired for another modular system and an email to Julius had the problem
resolved in minutes. Not only did he send me another cable, but an adaptable cable that can be used
on either Icom modular but also on the standard 8 pin Icom connector. AND wait, there's more!
No Charge for the replacement cable nor the shipping to Australia.

That's what I call service! A guy that seriously stands by his product and supports everything
he sells.