Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-8100R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-8100R
Yaesu FT-8100R Reviews: 96 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $699.00
Description: Dual Band 2 meter/440 Remote capable 1200/9600 data interface
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/ft8100.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-8100R.

KF6VTA Rating: 4/5 Jun 28, 2014 12:40 Send this review to a friend
Great radio, some issues   Time owned: more than 12 months
My experience with 4 of these radios from different years and production dates is like everybody else. Issues. Several problems behind the main screen with volume buttons. Leaking parts that brake traces, Lithium battery getting depleted and having to replace taking appart the whole front of the radio to reach it. Modifications done or to be done by myself because of the poor ingeniering. Overheat in stand by..Not burning, but hotter than normal..Just listening!!! My current model is 1998 production, didn't have any mods done. It failed behind the screen and the technician had to resolder components behind the volume knobs and reroute two traces ..Hummmm I love the radio because of the nice screen, nice audio in/out ( With external speaker ) and the features. It has a fast scanner and holds enought memories for all the repeaters I use. The other three models before this one were different ...another with problems behind the screen and volume knobs. The two first ones were from 2004 and they performed very very well. Never problems. I guess it all depends on what year of production it was manufactured. I understand Yaesu made different Mods to correct some of the issues. If you buy one, be sure it was manufactured after 2001. with all these...I still recomend it. Love this radio.

AC5LP Rating: 4/5 May 14, 2012 21:10 Send this review to a friend
Good Experience  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this radio for at least 10 years. It has been in and out of vehicles and is currently installed in the shack. The only problem I have with this rig is that the fan comes on as soon as you transmit and is louder than I would like it ti be inside my shack.

This is easily the best mobile VHF/UHF rig I have owned and I would not hesitate to recommend a friend purchase this model of rig if he were looking for a good used mobile dual-band radio.

VK2TDG Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2011 14:49 Send this review to a friend
Rock solid workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 8100 back in 2000, and it's never skipped a beat. It spent 4 years in the car, went through two remote-head kits (they don't like direct sun so much..), came out and spent 3 years as the local APRS Igate, and then went under the seat of my motorbike with an OpenTracker. These days it lives on my workbench connected to a TNC as a digipeater, and it's still going strong! We're talking 50,000+ hours, primarily on 2m at full 50w, and it's still a great workhorse!

The one problem that I've had, is that 'something' changed in the PTT circuitry after the PSU I was using died (taking out something in the input to the radio - thankfully fixed by the supplier of the PSU!), and my MFJ TNC's had to be modified to a higher rated switching circuit, as they stopped being able pull the PTT line low reliably.

It's an expensive radio ($1200 in 2000 here in .au), but having given 11 years of service, it's well worth it! The 8100 was replaced in the car by a Kenwood D710, and I still daily consider swapping back to separate APRS and voice rigs!

PA3FPZ Rating: 0/5 Mar 21, 2011 05:57 Send this review to a friend
Disaster Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Gave this unit a last and final chance and thought this could be the ultimate repair. Had it working perfectly and gave me a smile. Very nice rig when operational, hence the reason for yet another repair, but you guessed it, it broke down again. Same intermittent problems, all related to a poor main board on 2 meters. The 70 cm seems to be OK, but 2 meters is an absolute disaster, mostly PA related. A real shame Yaesu could not do a better job!

W6GEE Rating: 2/5 May 5, 2010 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Makes a great scanner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Intermittent transmit power failure and display malfunctions. Rig works reliably about 75-80% of the time, but not rock-solid like other VHF/UHF mobile rigs I've owned and used in the past. From other postive reviews I've read, I guess I might've gotten a lemon out of the crop. If you want to buy one, pay your money and take your chances.

G4IRQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2010 21:36 Send this review to a friend
Never had a problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this rig second-hand many years ago and I must say that it has never put a foot wrong. It has a good, clear, well-lit display, takes up very little space and gives you most of the bells and whistles' of contemporary radios.

It has plenty of power and is also a 'true' dual-bander in that you can TX on one band and simultaneously listen on the other if you wish.

I suspect the only reason I would get rid of it would be because I was getting bored with staring at the same radio for 10+ years as I have never had a problem with it.

F1HKN Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2010 00:36 Send this review to a friend
No problem!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one since 2000 for use in my car and as a portable station in field operation. Today, this rig is "like as it was the first day". I never met a problem with it. An imperative condition: make the power connection directly on the car battery. Use with relays and transponders on cross bands in mountains is very easy. Just needs an external loudspeaker for a good listening.

PA3FPZ Rating: 0/5 Sep 8, 2008 01:31 Send this review to a friend
Died again  Time owned: more than 12 months
It has happened again, it died on me for the 6th time. Done all the repairs mentioned on Internet to no avail. A bin job, do not buy this radio!!!!!

KF5SA Rating: 4/5 Aug 28, 2008 11:13 Send this review to a friend
This is a great and reliable radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used my FT-8100R mobile for many years and it never let me down. It has a lot of function and was extremely reliable. The only reason I rate it a 4 is because it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that recent new models have.

PA3FPZ Rating: 0/5 Jul 6, 2008 02:37 Send this review to a friend
Worst ever radio Yaesu build  Time owned: more than 12 months
To summarise the last few years, everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Do not even think of buying this rig, unless you have very good nerves and a lot of patience. This rig spend mote time on my workbench than on the air.