Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-8100R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-8100R
Yaesu FT-8100R Reviews: 96 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $699.00
Description: Dual Band 2 meter/440 Remote capable 1200/9600 data interface
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/ft8100.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-8100R.

OE6MDF Rating: 3/5 Nov 14, 2007 01:17 Send this review to a friend
Need rework after 3 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Problems with the volumeknobs, thanks to this reviews I found the fault on my FT8100R and now it works fine again.
I do not reach the advertised RF output on 2m and 70cm.

WV4R Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2007 09:23 Send this review to a friend
NINE Years & nary hiccup!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After FOUR FT-8500 units in use all over TheFarm, purchased the FT-8100 along about 1998. Have replaced the lithium battery, of course... it has never blinked in NINE years! Now feeling snake-bit about my proven reliable unit with all the 'dissing' here since have had Zero problemos! Do prefer Yeasu Hi-Band equipment due to Features/Price. Use a 5" External speaker with switching 110vac supply for Base Station or camper use only... Never had it mobile in the truck/tractor. Have Plenty of audio & fidelity on receive. Made the 'standard' Mic-Mod which gives me Fuller & Richer sounding audio, cost Nothing but a few minutes time... you can read about the Mic-Mod which is nothing more than making the Holes bigger on the mic cover/removing the plastic blocking disc inside the element cavity. I made this mod. to all my Yeasu radios including the FT-100D. On SSB you can Really notice the difference in transmit audio quality. The receive quality is very good in the General Coverage receiver, controls are pretty intuitive compared to FT-8500. Programable from my laptop computer. NOTE: Yeasu Factory advised they no longer support a Number of Out-Of-Warranty radios, Including the FT-8100. So... NINE years of flawless functioning gets the WV4R FIVE-STAR Rating.

N3TVV Rating: 2/5 Oct 16, 2007 22:07 Send this review to a friend
Definitly room for improvement  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this radio for about 2 years,never
had any problems with it then,Thermal Failure
hit.After doing some Googling,I found this
website

-------->(Do these at your own risk !)<--------

Neither G8SBF or N3TVV are responsible for any
damage caused to your radio by doing these
modifications.

After doing the modification that( G8SBF )had
posted,the radio seems to perform well now.

I have also,hard wired the fan right to the
power leads coming into the radio.This causes
the fan to go on when the power source to the
radio is turned on.Since it is a shack radio,
it's practical to do,although it's not
suggestible for mobile or portable installations.

My only other grudge with this radio is the
all of the intermod this thing picks up.Some
days I swear it picks up every pager in Fn 20.

Now the good news

I find the radio real easy to use and program.
The crossband repeat feature has come in handy
many times,while working in the back yard.I run
1/2 watt on 440 and 10 watts from the base on 2
meters,let the 8100 and the Comet GP 9 vertical
do all the work..

My suggestion,unless you don't mind repairing
radios,get an FT 8800 or 8900 ..

N3TVV

N5NPO Rating: 4/5 May 7, 2006 04:39 Send this review to a friend
Lots of Features!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of these for over two years and loved it. The only problem I ever had with mine was the pc board in the control head with the controls mounted to it did not have enough good solder on its inter-board plug-in connector and this cause it to loose volume on occasion. I finally figured out that this was the problem and fixed it. Other than that, it was a great rig. Armed with that knowledge, I would not hesitate to own another one.

DANNYRINGO Rating: 0/5 Mar 21, 2006 17:21 Send this review to a friend
piece of junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I made the mistake of buying this at a hamfest and just after getting my ham license....This radio supposedly had all of the "problems" fixed, or so the owner claimed! It works when it wants too and thats being polite! I pulled the radio apart and looked at all the things that supposedly were repaired and resoldered them, but it is still garbage!
I've NEVER had any problems with any of my rigs when I was into CB radio, even after we pumped them up! But, as for these supposed great radios that they make; I think they would make great boat anchors and they bring new meaning to the term "MUD DUCK RADIOS"!
Since then, I have lost my faith in beleiving that Yaesu, Icom and Alinco were considered top of the line radios....I'd take a Uniden, or Galaxy anyday knowing that I will not have a problem with them for years......I'm not impressed for the amount of money that has to be spent in this hobby only to hope that your not playing "Craps" in Vagas on your next radio purchase be it new, or used!

N2LJ Rating: 4/5 Mar 1, 2006 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Good performance!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my 8100 for about 8 years now. It spent a lot of time in one car with the separation kit and the radio body located under the back seat. When I got rid of that car in 2003, it sat on a shelf until about 18 months ago. SOmeplace in that time (at least I didn't notice it before) it developed a problem with the UHF side volume and squelch. Neither were controllable. Found a fix on the 'net, and after two tries more than a year apart, it's finally fixed.

Originally tried to mount the rig with the remote head in the new car.

But that didn't work well, as there seemed to be something wrong with the remote cable assembly. At odd times when I would transmit, the display would go crazy. The radio otherwise worked, but had to be power cycled to fix the display.

Oh, and don't leave the display in a hot car...

Now it moves between two cars, and seems to be doing well. No problmes with the rig, but the antennas are another story...

N2LJ

KB0UQX Rating: 1/5 Dec 22, 2005 06:40 Send this review to a friend
Terrible/Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased two FT- 8100R's when they were first released. They both quickly developed the volume/squelch control problem which Yaesu repaired.

One had the "VIA's" (feed thru's) problem on the 2m board which was also repaired N/C by Yaesu by soldering in a jumper wire. About 6 months ago this same 8100 started having more "VIA" problems on the 2 meter board (intermittent transmit/receive) so I again phoned Yaesu. They said to return it for repair. About 2 weeks later, I phoned Yaesu and they said they weren't repairing the 8100's anymore so they were sending it back to me. Why didn't they tell me that BEFORE I sent it to them? Two weeks later still no radio. To make a long story short, they sent it to the wrong address (old address in another state). It was left on the doorstep of a vacant house. This was their mistake, I gave them my current address. Everyone I contacted, even Burghardt, refused to even look at it so I sold it on eBay.

I still have my other 8100 and love it but I wonder how long before it develops the dreaded "VIA" problem.

I would give the 8100 I still own a 3 and the one that's gone a -1(if that's possible!). This gives an overall average of 1.

KC5HMC Rating: 2/5 Nov 15, 2005 15:04 Send this review to a friend
Unreliable  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It worked great for a year then the VHF side would quit. Repaired it then it worked fine for a year then started to have the same problem. Replaced it with a FT-7800, problem fixed.

NV0U Rating: 2/5 Jul 7, 2005 08:31 Send this review to a friend
Poorly designed. Easy to fix (so far). Could be great.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I must say I really do like this radio. It is pretty simple to operate and does a great job. But, it is unreliable as all get out. Whoever designed this thing should really be dope slapped in a big way.

I used the rig at home for a number of years and had no problems at all with it. Then, two years ago, I decided to put it in the car. Everything went fine for a the first 10 miles of my trip, then blam! Everything died. No receive audio. No transmit.

Tried it later in the day and it worked perfectly.

Next day, same thing happened.

Well, I changed the radio out with a Kenwood D700 and put the 8100 on the shelf. I dug it out again last night and hooked it up and noticed that there was nothing at all coming out of the speaker, nor was there any transmit at all. Some searching around on Google turned up a fix that works great - making a wire jumper on the top board.

Okay, no big deal there. Easy fix. But the whole thing leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth. How anyone can produce a radio that is this unreliable is beyond me. I could handle it if they did something like buy a batch of bad ICs from someone - but this is Yaesu's fault for designing such a piece of garbage from the start. Like I said, this is a nice radio. But the design completely falls flat.

KA3CJX Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2005 12:34 Send this review to a friend
Hasn't missed a beat  Time owned: more than 12 months
Almost afraid to write this, but bought mine in 2000 and it hasn't ever missed a beat. Used mostly on a power supply. Have put it on the seat of my car and used it about a dozen times. Once in a backpack on a motorcycle. I hope my luck holds up because I expect it to work well in the future. Sure sorry to hear about the problems others have had because it was an expensive rig.