Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - 6M/VHF/UHF+ | TE Systems 0510G Help

Reviews Summary for TE Systems 0510G
TE Systems 0510G Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $319.00
Description: 50MHZ Transistor Linear Amplifier (10w in - 170W out)

You can write your own review of the TE Systems 0510G.

KR0VER Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2006 08:11 Send this review to a friend
Nice Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After hearing nighmare reports about mirage amps I went straight to TE for my first amp.

Great execution. Super easy to setup.

The RF sensing and delay works well and I'm going to shift to PTT keying after I've had several weeks of things working out of the box. I've been using the amp for a week now and it really helps me get out on six.

The preamp in this device is very nice for getting down into the noise and digging out far stations. Being able to switch in the TX amp and/or the RX preamp, each on their own is a nice feature.

Ordering from TE was a snap. Call the number, talk to Dave. He's great to work with and seems very up to speed on their products. I'll be ordering more, 2m and 440 next.

W0LC Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2005 13:41 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp/Great Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
Thought I would stick my plug in to the reviews as well. Been meaning to.

The TE Systems amp plays excellently with my solid state rigs, puts out the advertised power and you can key directly or RF sensed. I don't worry too much on the transmit side about direct keying, so use the RF sensed.

Excellent noise figure and excellent gain of the preamp.

Since upgrading to a large base amp, I no longer use the TE Systems amp. Probably should hang on to it, but hate to keep stuff I use very little.

Probably regret selling it!

Compared to the Mirage amp construction, it wins hands down!

W3NRL Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2004 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Again T.E. Sytems Great Job!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Again i sent out my other amp and in about a week i had it back, again Dave at T.E. System Thank you, you guys pumped some more iron in my amp, and now it pumping more watts then it did when it was new...Next i am sending my 2 meter amp to you guys.. do what you guys do best to my 2 meter amp.

N6AJR Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2004 18:33 Send this review to a friend
good service but not fast  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just got my 6 meter amp back from T E Systems, and am very happy with the results. They converted it from a 10 watt input to a 25 watt input model, for 375 out fm or ssb .

It was used with my Ic 746 and the 6 meter on the 746 went waco and started to put out 100 watts of hash on any power setting which got the board in the 6 m amp so hot 3 resistors melted loose.

I sent it to Dave at TE systems and it was repaired, and returned in excellent shape. They were very busy and it took a while ( about a month) to get into "my turn" then it was repaired and shipped in great condition for a reasonable price (actually a great price) .

My thanks to Dave and the rest of the crew at TE systems for the great service. Yea it took a while, but thats ok, for a great service and good info on the phone.. Dave kept me well updated. so my overall is a 5, good equipment, great prices, good communications, and returned in a reasonable time period, if not exactly quick. have patience folks you can get it fast, or get it right, but not always together.. my hats off to Dave and the gang, Good JOB tom N6AJR

T E SYSTEMS

phone 1 -310-478-0591
fax 1-310-473-4038
los angeles,
no web site.
po box 25845 los angeles, ca 90025

W3NRL Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2004 13:26 Send this review to a friend
was sick, now works strong  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this amp used from the internet came to me with bad t/r switch and some other minor problems, so i sent the amp to TE Systems for repair. I talked to Dave (great guy), the switch was replaced and they also did the update on the output stage and checked the unit out. Well in a couple of days later my amp came back to me, they must of put this thing throught a workout and pumped some iron, now this baby does a lot more then it did when it was new....wowowowowo, love it.
TE Systems great job will be buying more TE Systems amps very soon!!!! Thanx w3nrl--Nick

N7RFG Rating: 4/5 Oct 6, 2003 13:13 Send this review to a friend
Good Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased a used model. The amp seems to perform better on FM than SSB. I get about 150 PEP out on full power. The amp should be rated at 170 according to the documentation. Build very well.

M0BTZ Rating: 2/5 Mar 23, 2003 17:07 Send this review to a friend
Has Problems, but when fixed, great amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my TE Systems Linear Amp Secondhand in very
good codition but initially it produced 135W for 10W input.I did a linearity check by plotting the output power against the input power. It was non linear and appeared to be suffering from thermal runaway. It stated in the manual that the bias was provided by a silicon diode in thermal contact with the RF power transistors. But looking inside showed that this diode was about 2
inches away from the power transistors! It was clearly not in thermal contact. I rectified the problem by soldering a new diode in place on top of the transistor and I used some thermally conducting paste to make sure of a good thermal
contact. This solved the thermal runaway problem but I had to experiment with different values of bias resistors for best linearity. 27ohms gave the best results with a 1n4001 diode.The amplifier
now works fine and gives a linear 145W for 10W input from the Icom IC-551 prime-mover.
To its credit, the unit certainly looks well built and rugged. The preamp has enough gain but not too much which means it does not overload my receiver.I liked the front panel switches which where easy to operate.The manual is poorly written.It seems to take up a lot of pages to cover a few simple features. The schematic diagram was not very easy to read either.
I suspect that many TE Systems Linear Amplifiers get poor user reveiws because of thermal runaway problems and improper transistor biasing.I had planned to built a two transistor bias circuit inside the amplifier to obtain the best linearity possible but I did not want to modify the linear too much. The amp works well now but runs quite warm over long QSO's. I plan to build a padded aluminium bracket which will hold a computer fan
to cool the heatsink. I think the amplifier will be more reliable and run cooler this way.

A good amplifier but needs mods to the bias circuit to get the best quality signal from this beast.