Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet SBB-2/SBB-2NMO Help

Reviews Summary for Comet SBB-2/SBB-2NMO
Comet SBB-2/SBB-2NMO Reviews: 28 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: 20" long 2m/70cm dual band mobile antenna. 1/4 wave, 2.15 dB gain on 2m, 5/8 wave, 3.8 dB gain on 70cm. VSWR 1.5:1 or less. Maximum power 100W.

You can write your own review of the Comet SBB-2/SBB-2NMO.

N7SZF Rating: 4/5 Aug 22, 2011 09:25 Send this review to a friend
Decent Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's not a Larsen, but it's not bad.

I own the UHF and two NMO versions of this antenna. It is YL approved as a "cute" antenna for the vehicles.

The UHF mount model won't do better than 2:1. I've tried it with several mag mounts and on two brands of NMO to UHF adapters. 2:1 is the best it will do. I've run it into branches and parking structure concrete on the mag mount - it still works.

The NMO models do 1.5:1 all over the band on a Larsen NMO mount.

The NMO ring on this antenna is short. If you have the Larsen NMO mount, it will sit about 2-3mm off the surface of your car. A large-ish O-ring or a bead of removeable silicone will keep the rain off your NMO mount.
N0FPE Rating: 0/5 Sep 14, 2010 15:04 Send this review to a friend
Junk any way u slice it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of these things. used it for abt 30 minutes. never could get the SWR below 2:1 on any freq. 2.15 dbi gain really means ZERO gain in the real world. I will never use a "shortened" antenna. Compaired to a real antenna like a Larsen 2/70 this antenna is just a waste of money. It now resides in the junk box along side the radio Shack RG-58 coax. Both are as useful as a hangnail
KK9H Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2010 05:36 Send this review to a friend
Good small dual band antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my SSB-2 and mount at Dayton in 2007. I had a new Ford Escape and I needed an antenna that would go in and out of my garage. The antenna is mounted in the left rear corner of the car near the top of the rear door. It has held up well and still looks pretty good after 3+ years of driving. When I go through the car wash, I always remove it and put the little cap on the mount. I live in the Chicago suburbs and
am able to reach all the repeaters I want on both bands. It performs exactly as I would expect for a 2M quarter wave and small collinear on 70cm. My antenna is the SO-239 version and while my other antennas are NMO types, I have found this version to be problem-free. I would rcommend this antenna for anyone needing a smaller dual band antenna.
K5DRH Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2009 14:39 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this because it is small enough to mount on the roof of my car and still clear the parking garage at work. So far no problems. It's very rugged feeling, hefty for a small antenna. It's rigid so won't flex at highway speeds. I've even had my Subaru up to 100mph at one point - no problem with the antenna. It's actually mounted to the roof rack and run through the rear hatch of the wagon, connecting to the radio with about 6' of coax. SWR is very low, I checked it thoroughly on both VHF and UHF using a Daiwa CN-103L. Very happy with this antenna.
N3TCR Rating: 1/5 Feb 1, 2008 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Short Life - Disposable Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the UHF-mount variant of this antenna in January 2005 as a replacement for a broken Diamond NR770HB. I liked its small size (less than half the size of the Diamond) and it initially worked well.
After having trouble in September 2007 hitting local repeaters even with 5W from the HT in the vehicle, I looked at the SWR. It had gone up to over 5:1 over the entire 2M band.
No cause of failure has been determined, but I won't be buying another as a replacement.
W5GSR Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2008 10:03 Send this review to a friend
Good mobile antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I mounted this antenna on the roof of my truck (drill in mount) and it works great for a 20" antenna,swr on 2 meters and 440 are darn near flat.I also checked the swr on it @ 462.675(GMRS) using a buisness band radio and it was about 1.3 at 25 watts.swr on 2/440 was checked at high and low power on a Alinco Dr-635.
K7JGB Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2007 19:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Dual Band Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned two of these antennas and they have worked great. The SWR is under 1.3 on VHF/UHF. It is also a good receiver antenna for railroad and UHF public safety frequencies. I would buy another one if I had another vehicle to put it on!

-Joshua K7JGB
KG4GXI Rating: 4/5 Jan 25, 2007 12:04 Send this review to a friend
It has lasted  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned the SBB-2 for 4 years. It's been one three different vehicles and 3 mounts. Its a little dirty, but has held up well. No problems getting the SWR under 1.2:1 on both bands. The whip is a stiff one that stays straight at 70 mph. It performs like the 1/4 wave it is. I'd give it a 5 if the price was a little cheaper.
ACD201 Rating: 4/5 Nov 8, 2006 07:23 Send this review to a friend
Good performance for its size  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this antenna, trunk-lip mounted with RG-174 mini-coax, for over 2 years now. It's rugged with a sturdy rod which maintains vertical polarization even at high speeds. SWR is between 1.5 and 1.2 for both 2m and 440. It performs just as good as other antenna's twice its size. I keep it looking new by cleaning it with armour-all periodically.

My main limitation is not the antenna but with the trunk mount position that prevents good omni-directional receive/transmit that affects performance in repeater fringe areas.
KD5FX Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2006 10:29 Send this review to a friend
Great little antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for MANY years, since around 1997. I used it on TOP of my mini-van for many years. It works well, bumped the garage door in and out EVERY day and still works fine. On the top like that it works as good as some 5/8 wave antennas I've used on the trunk of other cars.
I'm using now INSIDE my 'vette. Can't bring myself to drill any holes in my baby so it's sitting on a small piece of steel in the back of the 'vette and works OK, not great but OK.