Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | GAP Titan Help

Reviews Summary for GAP Titan
GAP Titan Reviews: 185 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $titandx
Description: Covers 10m 12m 15m 17m 20m 30m 40m and 100 KHz on 80m, & WARC
More info: http://www.gapantenna.com

You can write your own review of the GAP Titan.

N1KTS Rating: 3/5 Jun 23, 2014 13:49 Send this review to a friend
Taking it appart  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had this Antenna up for a couple of months and I must say it worked well.I am moving so I had to take it down and getting it apart is bad news...I wished I never bought it..Self tapping screws into thin steel isn't a good idear..I am a frame tech in a body shop and seeing the way this antenna is built I would not buy another gap product..It worked great and if one is not planning on bring it down then I guess it would be ok...They could of done a better job for the buck..It has to be tied down well cause the piping is kinda thin...As far as the swr the antenna was on point..No tuner needed unless one is going out of band...I ended up bending it in half and tossing it into the metal pile at work...

WD5ACP Rating: 4/5 Jun 20, 2014 15:14 Send this review to a friend
Very good on upper HF bands - but forget 75/80 MTRs  Time owned: months
I've had a Titan DX vertical in my quiet rural location for 2 years, and finally put up a full size 80/60/40 dipole for comparison (fan dipole in broad inverted V with apex at ~40' and ends at ~25').

Pretty much what I expected - The Titan DX is fair on 40 meters but the dipole is consistently about 3 db better on most signals TX and RX, On 80 the Vertical is pretty much a dummy load on a stick! At least a 10 db difference between it and the dipole. Never could get decent performance on 80.

Above 40 I don't have another antenna for direct comparisons, but I've been very pleased with the vertical on the upper bands - works well enough for me to get to most stations I can hear will 100 watts.

The antenna is very well constructed and I love not having to deal with radials! The resonance is pretty much good over the entire bands except 80 (no loss there).

Recommended for 40 MTRs and above only.

KD4INV Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2014 10:40 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: more than 12 months
My experience with the GAP Titan started when tried to use a G5RV Jr and almost quit the hobby. Later I tried a TitanDX built to spec and mounted 6 ft. above ground for the sound tecnical reason that I could use my riding mower and uninvited guests could walk under it. The antenna met or exceeded all specs using and internal ATU. It was used with 8 different transceivers with the same results. It was very usable on all bands and fantastic on those good propagation days.
We were forced to move to a new location and being shoort of funds I puchased a GAP Mono 20 which was ground mounted surrounded by trees and the house. It was fantastic on 20 and pllenty of good bleed on close bands again using an internal ATU.
When funds allowed I purchased an other TitanDX anf replaced the Mono 20 at thhe same location and ground mounted per instructions in the hand out. Now all bands opened up to me with fabulous DX. The only change was to paint the antenna with green annd brown paint to ease the impact on the neighbors since this is a semi-DR community.
So there you have it. I don't understand the complaints and criticisms found on the web. Call be lucky If you will but paint me happy with me GAP products. Remember, they are verticals.

WA3SIMI Rating: 3/5 Jun 7, 2014 15:40 Send this review to a friend
Great on 20m - 10m, not 40 nor 80  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Vertical are a different from horizontal dipoles in ways I didn't realize at first.
Best for limited space. If you have room for a dipole, use that instead.
Unfortunately, limited space means more obstacles that can detune your vertical.

I'm giving it three stars because it doesn't work well on 40 and is useless on 80. It's 20 db lower than dipole on 40m.

It works great on 20, 17, 12, and 10 meters.
I don't use it on 40 or 80 anymore.

I tried it mounted at heights from 18' to 10' in 3' increments. It actually works best at 10' for 15-10m. Also, the receive is quieter at 10' than 18', and also quieter than 40' high dipole. Signals compared between dipole and Titan show same strength but lower noise on vertical, making them more readable.
DX stations hear me better on the vertical.

KJ7MX Rating: 4/5 May 14, 2014 05:19 Send this review to a friend
A bit touchy but works great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna up for two years in Washington State. The only two downfalls I've experienced are that yes, it is susceptible to coupling, and for some reason the swr at my location varies with the humidity (goes up in the winter when it's raining). I haven't put much effort into the swr/humidity issue, but I have a feeling it's probably moisture in the coax connectors.

I have it mounted 3' off the ground, too close to the house (about 15' away, and about 30' to my south I have an 80' high tree line. Even with those factors it seems to perform pretty well. I can usually work through pile-ups with a little patience including some of the big ones like the recent VK9MT dxpedition. I run 500 watts out through my S-Line and a 30L-1.

SWR, when conditions are dry, runs under 1.5:1 on most all bands. When I bought the antenna at Dayton in 2012, Chris told me that though they don't advertise it, it will also load on 2 meters. So yeah, of course I had to try it and sure enough it loads up! Sometimes I'll connect my IC-7000 & sit & listen in on the local repeaters when I'm doing other things in the shack. I can key up local repeaters with it, but have no idea how it compares to other antennas designed for vhf.

I've heard others say this is a noisy antenna, but then from my experience that's kind of typical for any vertical. I'm thinking about a hex beam as an alternate.

Overall I'm pleased with the Titan. It can be quirky when getting the swr dialed in, and yes, as others have mentioned, the manual is difficult to follow. I had a few "do overs" putting it together but total time spent was about 4 hours.

KC3JV Rating: 4/5 Apr 24, 2014 04:55 Send this review to a friend
Galvanic corrosion  Time owned: more than 12 months
I agree with one of the other people about mixed metals. With acid rain in Philly I replaced all of the jumpers with aluminum flashing strips and new SS. screws. One of the crimped staykon connectors was so badly corroded that it became an insulator. Hey GAP GUYS SWITCH TO ALUMINUM JUMPERS Already! Aluminum is cheaper anyway!

Mark
KC3JV

W4ETR Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2014 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
All the good stuff has been covered by previous reviews, so I'll just say that if you are considering buying one of these don't hesitate. Follow the instructions, to the letter, and you will be as happy with this great antenna as I am!

W4RAA Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2014 06:53 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased the GAP Titan DX as I wanted a vertical with no radials. Before you even attempt to assembly this antenna read the assembly instructions several times to ensure that you understand it. I layed the Titan DX out on 2 saw horses and a table in my gargage and assembled it in 3.5 hours. I took my time and went over each piece that I assembled to make sure I did it correctly. I mounted the Titan DX on a pole bracketed to the backside of my house at a height of 10.5 feet. The counter poise was 3 feet above my pool screen room. I had a narrow bandwidth on 75/80 meters at first so I called GAP and talked to Chris, he advised me to raise the antenna to at least 5 feet above the pool screen room. I did so and that solved the problem. I installed 3 guy lines to support the antenna in high winds that occur here in Florida when we get storms. After the installation was completed I ran SWR test on all bands and was pleasantly surprised with the results. I had 1.5 - 2.1 on 75/80 meters with having a useable bandwidth of 200Khz and the SWR in that portion being 1.1. 40 meters is 1.1 - 1.9
30 meters is 1.1, 20 meters is 1.1, 17 meters is 1.1 - 1.3, 15 meters is 1.1 - 1.7, 12 meters is 1.7 - 2.1, 10 meters is 1.1. There was a contest going on so I decided to see what the Titan DX could do. With 100 watts I worked Japan Guam, Hawaii, Alaska, Morocco no problems. I used the Amplifier and my output was 600 watts and had no problems busting the pile ups. I am totally pleased with this antenna. It is constructed is high quality materials and should you need to contact GAP with any question Richard or Chris will gladly assist you.

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2014 11:05 Send this review to a friend
A work horse of an antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
The one and only..GAP Titan, had mine until July 2008, and would probably still have it up today, if not for the fact that July 2008 is when my tower went up. My Titan was in the way of getting the tower to its base, and then it would have been about 8'-10' from the tower. So,it was with heavy heart I sold my Titan to a gentleman from Coco, Fl. If I had had any other place to put my Titan I probably would have kept it, but I didn't, so, sold it was.

The Titan in my opinion is the workhorse antenna of Gap Antenna Products line. Covers parts of 75/80, there is a capacitor on the very top of the antenna you can change to suit your taste. high end or low end, some where in between. You get about 50-75 kc either side of the capacitor. I have the one on my GAP Challenger at 3.8KHz. Gives me some decent coverage on 75 meter phone.

You move on up 40-10 meters covers it all, with low SWR to boot. I can honestly say, the entire time I had my Titan I never saw an SWR above 1.5:1. Of course I would pull the antenna down yearly, go over everything, make sure all the connections were cleaned of any oxidation, and everything was right and tight on the antenna. Then, back up it would go, a fresh wrapping of electrical tape where needed, and it was back on the air for another year.

If I had a place where I could plant a Titan...you bet I would have one, and be using the hell out of it..just like I do my Challenger, but that...is a different review.

73 de Mark
AI4HO

KD8LJD Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2014 00:39 Send this review to a friend
Excelent for a vertical   Time owned: more than 12 months
QTH limits what I can and cant set up, So I have been limited to Verticals and wire.

Previous to this I had various older cushcraft verticals and was never really too impressed with them.

After my R7 fell apart I went looking for a new antenna and I ended up picking the Titan. And I am glad I did. Good signal reports, does better then some of the wire I have. After minor adjustments the SWR for me was 1.4 or better match on all the bands its advertised for.

Now I will agree with others that the assembly manual left a bit to be desired, some better diagrams would be a help. Its handy to know someone who has put a few of these together. Either way support directly from GAP was excellent.

For a vertical this is a very large and fairly heavy antenna. Regardless what your setup is, I would recommend guying it. Mine is about 8 foot off the ground and is tied down in 3 directions.

There are some dis-similar metals in use, in order to combat that I used a conductive non-ox grease. (no-ox or similar)

After over a year of being in the air and surviving the particularly active 2013 storm season in Ohio it still functions exactly as it did when I first set it up.