Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | GAP Titan Help

Reviews Summary for GAP Titan
GAP Titan Reviews: 197 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $titandx
Description: Covers 10m 12m 15m 17m 20m 30m 40m and 100 KHz on 80m, & WARC
More info: http://www.gapantenna.com

You can write your own review of the GAP Titan.

N3OW Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2017 03:40 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well over 100 countries on this antenna it fits my small back yard and allows me to enjoy the hobby and make some good dx contacts.
Mine has been up since 2002 and I have had no issues with it at all i would strongly recommend this antenna

W2JAZ Rating: 4/5 Apr 10, 2017 12:59 Send this review to a friend
Update to previous Post  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First let me say mea culpa regarding my earlier post about tuning problems. While 40 still isn't performing quite like it should, I think with further adjustments to the counterpoise it will. The problems with 20 and 17 were due to pilot error - I connected the 2 jumpers on those bands to the wrong place! Those bands resonate perfectly now! My fault, my mistake and mea culpa. I do think that for the cost the antenna the manual should be improved at least with a few photoss. Too much text without visual reinforcement and that's how I sorted out my problem - photos from a fellow ham who saw my QTH.com post. So please discount my previous post and consider this one. Be very very careful when you assemble it as it is very easy to make a mistake as I did. My rating may go up again once I've used it for a time, but I did want to erase my earlier comments.

NS5F Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2016 04:57 Send this review to a friend
Best vertical I've ever owned in 45+ years of hamming  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Titan is an excellent antenna and is great for hams who can't do a beam or full length dipoles. I've had mine for 15 years or more and never had any issue. Since I live on top of a ridge with limited trees I have mine guyed and recommend guying for most installations. Performance is exceptional and the low take-off angle really brings in the DX.

WB9YTG Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2016 20:12 Send this review to a friend
Highly recommended  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had the GAP Titan HF multi-band vertical 16 years (purchased direct from GAP at the 2001 Dayton HamVention). A few repairs over the years. Pleased at its versatility. Has worked well in my small city backyard. (fortunately no HOA). Mine is about 6 foot above ground near the shack. Not invisible, but have had no complaints from my neighbors. DX and contest QSO's on 20/18/15/12/10 (SSB) using 100 watts. Solid contacts on 40 and 30 meters (CW). Mixed results on 75 but not surprised. Even use it on 2 meters for the local repeater.

KF5Y Rating: 3/5 Feb 3, 2016 04:31 Send this review to a friend
Noisey  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned Gap Challenger for several years and worked pretty darn good but did not cover all bands. After reviews on this site and the GAP web sire (All 5's) I purchased the Titan. Antenna is a 3 in my book compared to the Challenger. Seems a lot noisier than the Challenger but the SWR's are less than 2:1 as claimed. All bands show a 1:1 somewhere but not necessarily where I want it (skipping 80M of course).

Just a note: Appear GAP only publishes 5 stars on their web site as their main marketing tool. I left a similar review on their web site which was never published.

KJ4KBC Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2015 13:24 Send this review to a friend
Very good results!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Titan for three years and it has worked well on all bands designed for except 80 meters. I think it's a bit shot and the matching stubs and the capacitor just cant get it long enough. SWR 1.5 or less everywhere and it seems to have no issue's at legal limit. Contacts have been from Australia, Europe, Africa, South America. The only thing of issue is the wind. Even on an 8' mast it needs to be guyed just slightly above the middle or it can and will bend. I would buy another if mine failed. A true set and forget antenna. 73's

2W0YBZ Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2015 06:58 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna does what GAP says it does. It tunes up fine on all bands with a swr read of lower than 1:5.
For example:

On 80m the band 3.500 swr is 1:5 however as you go higher for example higher than 3:690 the radio warns of high SWR. So this band is not great.

However on:

40m the swr reads better than 1:1

30 meters 1:7

20 meters 1:1

17 meters 1:1

15 meters 1:2

12 meters 1:1

10 meters 1:1

This is without an atu, in fact GAP advise not to use an atu.

The assembly instructions are very poor, and I would have liked more detailed drawings, but on the whole it was simple enough to put together. The build quality seems fine and sturdy enough.

I chose this antenna over others as the problem I have is where I live, here in sunny wales in the UK and on the side of a mountain I do not have much room to lay out ground radials. in fact this would be impossible for me as most of my garden is decking. I personally would advise to guy this antenna. Another problem I have is the very high winds we get here in sunny Wales so guying it is a must. The ability of the antenna is great and I have had some contacts nearly six thousand miles away, not bad for a station that at present is limited to 50w power.

I give five for the antenna as it does exactly what it is supposed to. It does not need ground radials and I have mounted it on a six foot pole attached to the garden fence. The antenna is sited not a great distance from the house, I have solar panels on the roof. However this does not seem to affect the antenna and its usage.

I looked at many other manufacturers and researching their products before choosing the Titan. I have owned the antenna for just a few weeks so it is still early days and I am still testing it. However I am very pleased with the results so far.

DK5EW Rating: 2/5 Mar 11, 2015 02:03 Send this review to a friend
working good - mechanical constuction is a disaster  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own this antenna now for 2 years. My GAP is mounted on a mast at a hight ~6m. The antenna is easy to install. The GAP is electrically working fine and the SWR on all supported bands is good as predicted.

The other side of the GAP is the poor mechanical construction of the antenna. All aluminium tubes are not made out of heavy material all is very thin. My GAP is supported by some ropes agains winds but it didn't helped much the antenna gots crooked and oblique by the winds.

Also the isolated mounting solution of the antenna to the mast is not very clever. It is too thin and should be more heavily.

If you live in a windy area or up in the mountains like me do not buy this antenna it will not last very long until you have a demage.

I'm really dissapointed with what you get for the money.

WD5ACP Rating: 4/5 Dec 31, 2014 05:49 Send this review to a friend
Very good - though not much mojo on 80  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had a Gap Titan DX in service for over 2 years - ground mounted in a country location. It's worked very well on the upper HF bands, and okay on 40 meters. Compared to a 40 meter dipole at ~40', the dipole performed ~3db better - though I guess depends on the direction of the signal... on 80 meters however, the vertical did not perform very well at all. Mostly a dummy load on a stick with an easy ~10 difference between it and a 80 dipole. I think I made 1 80 meter contact on the vertical!

That said, I've worked the world with the Gap Titan DX on 30 meters and higher with a Kenwood TS590 at 100 watts. The antenna is very rugged. It is well designed with good SWR bandwith (though it may require a little tuning). Awesome that it does not require any radials!

Recommended for 30 meters and higher and 40 if you have to. Don't expect much at all on 80.

W7JMW Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2014 11:21 Send this review to a friend
Very impressed so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned the GAP Titan for three months now. I bought to work DX since it has a low TOA. I have an inverted Vee OCF dipole but that TOA is around 35 degrees. I live in a rural area with virtually no noise in Washington state. I put the GAP up seven feet on a steel mast which is in a PVC tube in concrete in the ground (as per the assembly manual, this gives me an easy way to pull the antenna out of the ground if needed). My first contact in late September was Slovakia on 20 meters and we both reported 59 signals. Since then I have worked DX and domestic stations with great reports. I was told by a gent in Alaska that I was clearer than local 2 meter repeaters and I have no problem being heard in pileups with 200 watts or less. As for receive, I have virtually no noise on most bands but, as I said, I am in a rural area. My inverted Vee OFC dipole is much noisier than the GAP. The SWR measurements I have made with an AA-1000 are below 2:1 on all bands and most are below 1.5:1. Further, I get over 150 kHz bandwidth in the upper portion of 80 meters. I don't understand the low marks some folks have given this antenna, I find it a real winner and recommend it highly to anyone wanting or needing a vertical.