Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | GAP Titan Help

Reviews Summary for GAP Titan
GAP Titan Reviews: 192 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $titandx
Description: Covers 10m 12m 15m 17m 20m 30m 40m and 100 KHz on 80m, & WARC

You can write your own review of the GAP Titan.

2W0YBZ Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2015 06:58 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna does what GAP says it does. It tunes up fine on all bands with a swr read of lower than 1:5.
For example:

On 80m the band 3.500 swr is 1:5 however as you go higher for example higher than 3:690 the radio warns of high SWR. So this band is not great.

However on:

40m the swr reads better than 1:1

30 meters 1:7

20 meters 1:1

17 meters 1:1

15 meters 1:2

12 meters 1:1

10 meters 1:1

This is without an atu, in fact GAP advise not to use an atu.

The assembly instructions are very poor, and I would have liked more detailed drawings, but on the whole it was simple enough to put together. The build quality seems fine and sturdy enough.

I chose this antenna over others as the problem I have is where I live, here in sunny wales in the UK and on the side of a mountain I do not have much room to lay out ground radials. in fact this would be impossible for me as most of my garden is decking. I personally would advise to guy this antenna. Another problem I have is the very high winds we get here in sunny Wales so guying it is a must. The ability of the antenna is great and I have had some contacts nearly six thousand miles away, not bad for a station that at present is limited to 50w power.

I give five for the antenna as it does exactly what it is supposed to. It does not need ground radials and I have mounted it on a six foot pole attached to the garden fence. The antenna is sited not a great distance from the house, I have solar panels on the roof. However this does not seem to affect the antenna and its usage.

I looked at many other manufacturers and researching their products before choosing the Titan. I have owned the antenna for just a few weeks so it is still early days and I am still testing it. However I am very pleased with the results so far.
DK5EW Rating: 2/5 Mar 11, 2015 02:03 Send this review to a friend
working good - mechanical constuction is a disaster  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own this antenna now for 2 years. My GAP is mounted on a mast at a hight ~6m. The antenna is easy to install. The GAP is electrically working fine and the SWR on all supported bands is good as predicted.

The other side of the GAP is the poor mechanical construction of the antenna. All aluminium tubes are not made out of heavy material all is very thin. My GAP is supported by some ropes agains winds but it didn't helped much the antenna gots crooked and oblique by the winds.

Also the isolated mounting solution of the antenna to the mast is not very clever. It is too thin and should be more heavily.

If you live in a windy area or up in the mountains like me do not buy this antenna it will not last very long until you have a demage.

I'm really dissapointed with what you get for the money.
WD5ACP Rating: 4/5 Dec 31, 2014 05:49 Send this review to a friend
Very good - though not much mojo on 80  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had a Gap Titan DX in service for over 2 years - ground mounted in a country location. It's worked very well on the upper HF bands, and okay on 40 meters. Compared to a 40 meter dipole at ~40', the dipole performed ~3db better - though I guess depends on the direction of the signal... on 80 meters however, the vertical did not perform very well at all. Mostly a dummy load on a stick with an easy ~10 difference between it and a 80 dipole. I think I made 1 80 meter contact on the vertical!

That said, I've worked the world with the Gap Titan DX on 30 meters and higher with a Kenwood TS590 at 100 watts. The antenna is very rugged. It is well designed with good SWR bandwith (though it may require a little tuning). Awesome that it does not require any radials!

Recommended for 30 meters and higher and 40 if you have to. Don't expect much at all on 80.
W7JMW Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2014 11:21 Send this review to a friend
Very impressed so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned the GAP Titan for three months now. I bought to work DX since it has a low TOA. I have an inverted Vee OCF dipole but that TOA is around 35 degrees. I live in a rural area with virtually no noise in Washington state. I put the GAP up seven feet on a steel mast which is in a PVC tube in concrete in the ground (as per the assembly manual, this gives me an easy way to pull the antenna out of the ground if needed). My first contact in late September was Slovakia on 20 meters and we both reported 59 signals. Since then I have worked DX and domestic stations with great reports. I was told by a gent in Alaska that I was clearer than local 2 meter repeaters and I have no problem being heard in pileups with 200 watts or less. As for receive, I have virtually no noise on most bands but, as I said, I am in a rural area. My inverted Vee OFC dipole is much noisier than the GAP. The SWR measurements I have made with an AA-1000 are below 2:1 on all bands and most are below 1.5:1. Further, I get over 150 kHz bandwidth in the upper portion of 80 meters. I don't understand the low marks some folks have given this antenna, I find it a real winner and recommend it highly to anyone wanting or needing a vertical.
N2EHG Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2014 17:15 Send this review to a friend
great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had it for about 4yrs. Ground mounted. Always worked as it should. Have a few other antenna types, vertical, horizontal, some low mounted some higher up. All antennas on a switch box. For me, the Titan always performs great, you never now how propagation is going to effect you exactly at a given moment, so having the ability to switch different antennas helps, and sometimes defies what you think the propagation 'should be'. So I don't blame that on a antenna w/o a full analysis and even then, you never know. Overall I get the best performance more often then you would think from the Titan. I can jump nearly all the bands legal power w/o having to do anything. I'd like to get another and experiment with the 2nd one higher up, and phased. At the time and place this antenna is located I didn't have the ability to burry a large radial field it's ring is compact , and a turn key solution.
W8JPF Rating: 4/5 Oct 29, 2014 17:52 Send this review to a friend
Good for a multi-band vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was thinking that I would rate this as between a 3 and 4. Considering that it is a multi-band, short vertical requiring no external radials, it performs well and I'll stick with a 4 for now.

Assembly: I took about 5 hours to assemble this and really took my time and re-read each step of the instructions so I would know exactly what I was supposed to doing with what part. Since I was planning to install this elevated, taking it down to re-do something would not be easy. If you have experience assembling things that come as many pieces in a box, this will not be much of a challenge. I could have gone faster, but I had all day and didn't want to screw anything up. The hoop counterpoise was assembled and attached after raising it in its final location. It was attached to a tip-over mast and the bottom of the antenna is about 16 feet above the ground.

Tuning: I have adjusted the counterpoise a few times to get a minimum SWR on the part of 40 meters that I wanted to use the most. The lower end of the CW part of 40 meters is over 3:1 and the top of 40 meters is around 2:1. I think that downspouts and rain gutters on my house are affecting the antenna; it is about 20 feet from the house.

It seems to be resonate a little too high on 75 meters; SWR at 4 MHz is about 1.5:1 and the 2:1 point is around 3.87 MHz. I would have to change the capacitor at the top of the assembly to lower the resonance which would mean removing the counterpoise and lowering the antenna; probably won't do that.

Initially, all of 17 meters was around 3:1. I talked to Chris at GAP and he advised attaching a short wire to the lower, 30" tuning rod. A 6" length of 6 AWG wire brought the SWR down to 1:1.

Performance: 75 meters is not great; I can hear much better than reach out. This isn't too surprising. The radiation pattern seems to be low so stations a couple of states away hear me better than closer-in stations.

40 meters is pretty good, again with a low radiation angle. I have had SSB contacts with Europe running barefoot but stations within a couple hundred miles are not so easy to work. Can be done, though. A few times I called CQ at reduced power and had difficulty copying stations replying. Thought that was curious.

Other bands perform pretty well, including 30 meters (digital, I'm not proficient on CW). I had a quick QSO as far as Australia on SSB on 10 meters and am looking forward to trying more DX as the upper bands open up.

Overall: previously I had an off-center dipole cut for 40 meters. That was definitely a cloud warmer but made me hundreds of contacts. I was hoping for more DX performance but if you're more interested in local contacts, you'll probably want a dipole besides the GAP. The GAP is noticeably more noisy although weaker stations tend to cut through the noise. It is most noticeable when no stations can be heard.

Despite what GAP says, there seems to be some mass high enough that wind loading might be a concern. Unless the Titan is ground-mounted, it seems guying is necessary. One thing I'm concerned about is how well the aluminum rods that support the counterpoise will hold up. I live in an area that gets ice and wet snow and I did insert 1/4" dowel rods into the tubes. In retrospect, I should have rigged mono-filament fishing line to support the rods, so we'll see how this does after this winter.

As others have said, if you have the space for wires, elevating a dipole would probably give better performance, especially on 80/75 meters. If you could do radials, an inverted L might be a pretty good option as well. But, if you're limited in space, the GAP Titan is a respectable performer.
M6LDZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2014 08:38 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant DX even QRP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having been on the air for a day now I thank ML&S in the UK for reccommending the Gap Titan to me. Even running 10w (which is all i am allowed) i have contacts straight away into the US, Canada and Argentina. Allright that is probably returning to stations with higher gain beams, but when they are pushing 1Kw you know something is right with the Titan.
Mine is mounted on the side of my wooden shed 12ft up to the counterpoise, which oversails the roof a bit. We have trees on two sides close to the antenna but still it works great.
After such a wait to get the license the Gap has made it worth the wait.
N1KTS Rating: 3/5 Jun 23, 2014 13:49 Send this review to a friend
Taking it appart  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had this Antenna up for a couple of months and I must say it worked well.I am moving so I had to take it down and getting it apart is bad news...I wished I never bought it..Self tapping screws into thin steel isn't a good idear..I am a frame tech in a body shop and seeing the way this antenna is built I would not buy another gap product..It worked great and if one is not planning on bring it down then I guess it would be ok...They could of done a better job for the buck..It has to be tied down well cause the piping is kinda thin...As far as the swr the antenna was on point..No tuner needed unless one is going out of band...I ended up bending it in half and tossing it into the metal pile at work...
WD5ACP Rating: 4/5 Jun 20, 2014 15:14 Send this review to a friend
Very good on upper HF bands - but forget 75/80 MTRs  Time owned: months
I've had a Titan DX vertical in my quiet rural location for 2 years, and finally put up a full size 80/60/40 dipole for comparison (fan dipole in broad inverted V with apex at ~40' and ends at ~25').

Pretty much what I expected - The Titan DX is fair on 40 meters but the dipole is consistently about 3 db better on most signals TX and RX, On 80 the Vertical is pretty much a dummy load on a stick! At least a 10 db difference between it and the dipole. Never could get decent performance on 80.

Above 40 I don't have another antenna for direct comparisons, but I've been very pleased with the vertical on the upper bands - works well enough for me to get to most stations I can hear will 100 watts.

The antenna is very well constructed and I love not having to deal with radials! The resonance is pretty much good over the entire bands except 80 (no loss there).

Recommended for 40 MTRs and above only.
KD4INV Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2014 10:40 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: more than 12 months
My experience with the GAP Titan started when tried to use a G5RV Jr and almost quit the hobby. Later I tried a TitanDX built to spec and mounted 6 ft. above ground for the sound tecnical reason that I could use my riding mower and uninvited guests could walk under it. The antenna met or exceeded all specs using and internal ATU. It was used with 8 different transceivers with the same results. It was very usable on all bands and fantastic on those good propagation days.
We were forced to move to a new location and being shoort of funds I puchased a GAP Mono 20 which was ground mounted surrounded by trees and the house. It was fantastic on 20 and pllenty of good bleed on close bands again using an internal ATU.
When funds allowed I purchased an other TitanDX anf replaced the Mono 20 at thhe same location and ground mounted per instructions in the hand out. Now all bands opened up to me with fabulous DX. The only change was to paint the antenna with green annd brown paint to ease the impact on the neighbors since this is a semi-DR community.
So there you have it. I don't understand the complaints and criticisms found on the web. Call be lucky If you will but paint me happy with me GAP products. Remember, they are verticals.