Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | GAP Titan Help

Reviews Summary for GAP Titan
GAP Titan Reviews: 189 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $titandx
Description: Covers 10m 12m 15m 17m 20m 30m 40m and 100 KHz on 80m, & WARC
More info: http://www.gapantenna.com

You can write your own review of the GAP Titan.

W4ETR Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2014 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
All the good stuff has been covered by previous reviews, so I'll just say that if you are considering buying one of these don't hesitate. Follow the instructions, to the letter, and you will be as happy with this great antenna as I am!

W4RAA Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2014 06:53 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased the GAP Titan DX as I wanted a vertical with no radials. Before you even attempt to assembly this antenna read the assembly instructions several times to ensure that you understand it. I layed the Titan DX out on 2 saw horses and a table in my gargage and assembled it in 3.5 hours. I took my time and went over each piece that I assembled to make sure I did it correctly. I mounted the Titan DX on a pole bracketed to the backside of my house at a height of 10.5 feet. The counter poise was 3 feet above my pool screen room. I had a narrow bandwidth on 75/80 meters at first so I called GAP and talked to Chris, he advised me to raise the antenna to at least 5 feet above the pool screen room. I did so and that solved the problem. I installed 3 guy lines to support the antenna in high winds that occur here in Florida when we get storms. After the installation was completed I ran SWR test on all bands and was pleasantly surprised with the results. I had 1.5 - 2.1 on 75/80 meters with having a useable bandwidth of 200Khz and the SWR in that portion being 1.1. 40 meters is 1.1 - 1.9
30 meters is 1.1, 20 meters is 1.1, 17 meters is 1.1 - 1.3, 15 meters is 1.1 - 1.7, 12 meters is 1.7 - 2.1, 10 meters is 1.1. There was a contest going on so I decided to see what the Titan DX could do. With 100 watts I worked Japan Guam, Hawaii, Alaska, Morocco no problems. I used the Amplifier and my output was 600 watts and had no problems busting the pile ups. I am totally pleased with this antenna. It is constructed is high quality materials and should you need to contact GAP with any question Richard or Chris will gladly assist you.

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2014 11:05 Send this review to a friend
A work horse of an antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
The one and only..GAP Titan, had mine until July 2008, and would probably still have it up today, if not for the fact that July 2008 is when my tower went up. My Titan was in the way of getting the tower to its base, and then it would have been about 8'-10' from the tower. So,it was with heavy heart I sold my Titan to a gentleman from Coco, Fl. If I had had any other place to put my Titan I probably would have kept it, but I didn't, so, sold it was.

The Titan in my opinion is the workhorse antenna of Gap Antenna Products line. Covers parts of 75/80, there is a capacitor on the very top of the antenna you can change to suit your taste. high end or low end, some where in between. You get about 50-75 kc either side of the capacitor. I have the one on my GAP Challenger at 3.8KHz. Gives me some decent coverage on 75 meter phone.

You move on up 40-10 meters covers it all, with low SWR to boot. I can honestly say, the entire time I had my Titan I never saw an SWR above 1.5:1. Of course I would pull the antenna down yearly, go over everything, make sure all the connections were cleaned of any oxidation, and everything was right and tight on the antenna. Then, back up it would go, a fresh wrapping of electrical tape where needed, and it was back on the air for another year.

If I had a place where I could plant a Titan...you bet I would have one, and be using the hell out of it..just like I do my Challenger, but that...is a different review.

73 de Mark
AI4HO

AE8MM Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2014 00:39 Send this review to a friend
Excelent for a vertical   Time owned: more than 12 months
QTH limits what I can and cant set up, So I have been limited to Verticals and wire.

Previous to this I had various older cushcraft verticals and was never really too impressed with them.

After my R7 fell apart I went looking for a new antenna and I ended up picking the Titan. And I am glad I did. Good signal reports, does better then some of the wire I have. After minor adjustments the SWR for me was 1.4 or better match on all the bands its advertised for.

Now I will agree with others that the assembly manual left a bit to be desired, some better diagrams would be a help. Its handy to know someone who has put a few of these together. Either way support directly from GAP was excellent.

For a vertical this is a very large and fairly heavy antenna. Regardless what your setup is, I would recommend guying it. Mine is about 8 foot off the ground and is tied down in 3 directions.

There are some dis-similar metals in use, in order to combat that I used a conductive non-ox grease. (no-ox or similar)

After over a year of being in the air and surviving the particularly active 2013 storm season in Ohio it still functions exactly as it did when I first set it up.

KK4EQF Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2014 09:36 Send this review to a friend
154 Countries and going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my Gap Titan for over 2 years now and all I can say is that antenna is a great performer. I have a unique setup and location for it. It is right behind a 40ft oak tree and because I do not have enough room for the counterpoise I've had to reconfigure it. Instead of the square setup my counterpoise heads to my plastic fence then down the property line. It is painted green to blend into my oak tree and palms. I have to say that for DX use I works great. A little noisy because it is a vertical but it outweighs the performance. If you are interested in this antenna and going to hamcation this weekend Gap will have a booth. You can look at my qrz page and look at my logs.

WO8USA Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2013 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Nice vertical, good for 40-80  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Material Quality: 5+
Operation as advertised: 5 (good vertical)
Instructions: 3+

I got this from R&L Electronics after considering all the antennas on the market and the location I had and needs. I wanted to complent my Traffie Hexbeam and wanted a good 40-80m antenna in a small place. Did not want the radial farm and decided this was the antenna. Amazing that it does what it says, no SWR issues. Great 40m performance during CQWWDX 2013 phone, did not get to try much on 80m. It is tall, I decided to use the DX Engineering mount to raise it. I highly recommend light guys slightly above the center to keep it from swaying and stressing the mount too much. Mine is post mounted on a 4x4 10 feet off the ground. Search and you will see some excellent suggestins on guying as well as ways to keep the radials from drooping. No trouble with an amplifier.

Good SWR, <1.5 across the high bands, I have made no adjustments on low bands. Its not a beam, but offers nice multi-band, omni direction coverage. My main use is for 40/80m and also for PSK andops froma remote location when I cannot turn my Hexbeam. But you must give it some guys, not too hgh up becasue you may snap it in the center. But this is a heavy duty antenna, qulaity materials.

Be prepared: read directions 2-3x before you even start, you need lots of room to assemble on ground, it took me 3 hours in a relaxed mode to get together, make sure you do not rush ahead on instructions or you will disassemble. You really do need two sawhorses. Instructions could be improved, check internet for some nice pictures.

A complaint: for $400 I should not have to put my own SO-239 on the end. Hardest part was getting the yellow coax out the little hole and sticking the connector on...soldering outside?

73 Chris WO8USA

AB9UU Rating: 4/5 Oct 11, 2013 14:55 Send this review to a friend
Working well despite not ideal placement  Time owned: more than 12 months
I initially had trouble with placing the Titan as it is quite windy where I live at times. It blew over twice. This was my fault and not the Titan's. It is now guyed much better and does not move. It functions well on 40 meters and up, but 80 meters is a problem as sometimes it will not tune easily. Of course Gap tells you it has a narrower band with on 80 meters so this is no surprise. On other bands 20 and above, it usually needs no tuner or if it does, it does not require much help to make my amp happy.

It is not as loud most of the time as is my G5RV on 40 and 80 that I also have up.
However, my placement of the Titan puts it at a disadvantage to start with, as the Gap Titan is on the roof but surrounded BY TALLER BUILDINGS on several sides at close proximity. I also have lots of power lines in the area being in an ultra urban area. Still during the day I can get out easily to Flagstaff and Phoenix and occasionally Germany with it on 18 meters. I bet if I raise it a bit, it will even work better. So the bottom line is that I like it and plan on keeping it and raising it once I am able (had surgery).

N1JAO Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2013 15:27 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the r9 up and it was a disaster (see my review of that if you like) Traded it through hro and the Titan tunes great and radiates very well. Very quiet antenna. I am happy with every aspect of it and recommend it without reservation.

Robert
N1JAO

KC3JV Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2013 23:04 Send this review to a friend
Jumpers corroded and had to be replced  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the Titan for 18 years. The only problem is some of the shorting jumpers between the elements opened due to GALVANIC Corrosion. I called GAP and tolled them about the problem and how I replaced the jumpers with jumpers made from aluminum flashing. IT IS ALWAYS BAD PRACTICE TO MIX METALS SUCH AS COPPER AND ALUMINUM. The use of all aluminum plus stainless screws and washers. The antenna has continued to work well for all of these years. The bottom loading elements droop due to ice but I reenforced them with fiberglass poles.

AA8KY Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2013 08:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the GAP Titan DX antenna from a dealer who recommended it to me. I mounted it on a mast with a bracket under the gutter and cemented it in the ground. When I first tried it I heard more DX than I ever imagined. When I tested the SWR it was within reasonable range on every band. I have worked 4 continents in two weeks and I'm guessing 50 countries. The best part is I am running 100 watts and even during pileups I am busting through and making the contact even against guys who are running amps. I highly recommend this antenna, especially if you have a small area for an antenna. I am very happy with this antenna. It is the best vertical I have ever owned.