Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | GAP Titan Help

Reviews Summary for GAP Titan
GAP Titan Reviews: 186 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $titandx
Description: Covers 10m 12m 15m 17m 20m 30m 40m and 100 KHz on 80m, & WARC
More info: http://www.gapantenna.com

You can write your own review of the GAP Titan.

KD8LJD Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2014 00:39 Send this review to a friend
Excelent for a vertical   Time owned: more than 12 months
QTH limits what I can and cant set up, So I have been limited to Verticals and wire.

Previous to this I had various older cushcraft verticals and was never really too impressed with them.

After my R7 fell apart I went looking for a new antenna and I ended up picking the Titan. And I am glad I did. Good signal reports, does better then some of the wire I have. After minor adjustments the SWR for me was 1.4 or better match on all the bands its advertised for.

Now I will agree with others that the assembly manual left a bit to be desired, some better diagrams would be a help. Its handy to know someone who has put a few of these together. Either way support directly from GAP was excellent.

For a vertical this is a very large and fairly heavy antenna. Regardless what your setup is, I would recommend guying it. Mine is about 8 foot off the ground and is tied down in 3 directions.

There are some dis-similar metals in use, in order to combat that I used a conductive non-ox grease. (no-ox or similar)

After over a year of being in the air and surviving the particularly active 2013 storm season in Ohio it still functions exactly as it did when I first set it up.

KK4EQF Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2014 09:36 Send this review to a friend
154 Countries and going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my Gap Titan for over 2 years now and all I can say is that antenna is a great performer. I have a unique setup and location for it. It is right behind a 40ft oak tree and because I do not have enough room for the counterpoise I've had to reconfigure it. Instead of the square setup my counterpoise heads to my plastic fence then down the property line. It is painted green to blend into my oak tree and palms. I have to say that for DX use I works great. A little noisy because it is a vertical but it outweighs the performance. If you are interested in this antenna and going to hamcation this weekend Gap will have a booth. You can look at my qrz page and look at my logs.

WO8USA Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2013 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Nice vertical, good for 40-80  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Material Quality: 5+
Operation as advertised: 5 (good vertical)
Instructions: 3+

I got this from R&L Electronics after considering all the antennas on the market and the location I had and needs. I wanted to complent my Traffie Hexbeam and wanted a good 40-80m antenna in a small place. Did not want the radial farm and decided this was the antenna. Amazing that it does what it says, no SWR issues. Great 40m performance during CQWWDX 2013 phone, did not get to try much on 80m. It is tall, I decided to use the DX Engineering mount to raise it. I highly recommend light guys slightly above the center to keep it from swaying and stressing the mount too much. Mine is post mounted on a 4x4 10 feet off the ground. Search and you will see some excellent suggestins on guying as well as ways to keep the radials from drooping. No trouble with an amplifier.

Good SWR, <1.5 across the high bands, I have made no adjustments on low bands. Its not a beam, but offers nice multi-band, omni direction coverage. My main use is for 40/80m and also for PSK andops froma remote location when I cannot turn my Hexbeam. But you must give it some guys, not too hgh up becasue you may snap it in the center. But this is a heavy duty antenna, qulaity materials.

Be prepared: read directions 2-3x before you even start, you need lots of room to assemble on ground, it took me 3 hours in a relaxed mode to get together, make sure you do not rush ahead on instructions or you will disassemble. You really do need two sawhorses. Instructions could be improved, check internet for some nice pictures.

A complaint: for $400 I should not have to put my own SO-239 on the end. Hardest part was getting the yellow coax out the little hole and sticking the connector on...soldering outside?

73 Chris WO8USA

AB9UU Rating: 4/5 Oct 11, 2013 14:55 Send this review to a friend
Working well despite not ideal placement  Time owned: more than 12 months
I initially had trouble with placing the Titan as it is quite windy where I live at times. It blew over twice. This was my fault and not the Titan's. It is now guyed much better and does not move. It functions well on 40 meters and up, but 80 meters is a problem as sometimes it will not tune easily. Of course Gap tells you it has a narrower band with on 80 meters so this is no surprise. On other bands 20 and above, it usually needs no tuner or if it does, it does not require much help to make my amp happy.

It is not as loud most of the time as is my G5RV on 40 and 80 that I also have up.
However, my placement of the Titan puts it at a disadvantage to start with, as the Gap Titan is on the roof but surrounded BY TALLER BUILDINGS on several sides at close proximity. I also have lots of power lines in the area being in an ultra urban area. Still during the day I can get out easily to Flagstaff and Phoenix and occasionally Germany with it on 18 meters. I bet if I raise it a bit, it will even work better. So the bottom line is that I like it and plan on keeping it and raising it once I am able (had surgery).

N1JAO Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2013 15:27 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the r9 up and it was a disaster (see my review of that if you like) Traded it through hro and the Titan tunes great and radiates very well. Very quiet antenna. I am happy with every aspect of it and recommend it without reservation.

Robert
N1JAO

KC3JV Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2013 23:04 Send this review to a friend
Jumpers corroded and had to be replced  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the Titan for 18 years. The only problem is some of the shorting jumpers between the elements opened due to GALVANIC Corrosion. I called GAP and tolled them about the problem and how I replaced the jumpers with jumpers made from aluminum flashing. IT IS ALWAYS BAD PRACTICE TO MIX METALS SUCH AS COPPER AND ALUMINUM. The use of all aluminum plus stainless screws and washers. The antenna has continued to work well for all of these years. The bottom loading elements droop due to ice but I reenforced them with fiberglass poles.

AA8KY Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2013 08:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the GAP Titan DX antenna from a dealer who recommended it to me. I mounted it on a mast with a bracket under the gutter and cemented it in the ground. When I first tried it I heard more DX than I ever imagined. When I tested the SWR it was within reasonable range on every band. I have worked 4 continents in two weeks and I'm guessing 50 countries. The best part is I am running 100 watts and even during pileups I am busting through and making the contact even against guys who are running amps. I highly recommend this antenna, especially if you have a small area for an antenna. I am very happy with this antenna. It is the best vertical I have ever owned.

KJ4KBC Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2013 06:32 Send this review to a friend
All HF Bands Plus!  Time owned: months
I've had my Gap Titan about a year. Assembly was easy and upon checking SWR was close to what was advertised. Mine is mounted about 15 feet on an aluminum mast which is guyed at the antenna base and guyed again above the Gap. I didn't use it much at first as I had an AV-640 by HY-Gain which was working well. After loosing two matchboxes on the Hy-Gain I was forced to use the "Gap" while my other antenna was dead. It was a Pleasant surprise that has led me to taking down the AV-640 for good. No matchbox to fool with makes the Gap much more reliable in my opinion as I use the same power with it as I did the other. Based on propagation I sometimes need legal limit in a pile up while working DX but most of the time 1-200 watts will get the signal through. The gap works well close in also. I use a wire for 80 Meters so the gaps usefulness there is not an issue. SWR is low enough to not use a tuner with a tube amp(1.1-2.3)but with my Transistor No tune Amps 7-12-10 meters need one in some area's as the no tune Amp likes 1.5 SWR or less. It will also show an SWR of 2 or less on 6 meters which was a surprise. I worked San Antonio on an opening yesterday with 200 watts and got a 10 over 9 report! It's not a Beam nor a Monobander but does a great job. The only issue I've had was the Swr's started moving around some and I found the issue to be my shoddy connection to the shack on my initial install. I broke the rule and "taped my connection" to the Gap with electrical tape to keep out water! As I should have known water migrated into the connection and as the day heated up it would cause my SWR to change. I removed the tape, dried and siliconed the connection and presto! Back to Normal. I would recomment the TiTan to anyone whom needs a Multiband Vertical. Just be patient on assembly and guy it in two place's and it should last as long as your Coax! 73's

W7ZZZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2013 17:01 Send this review to a friend
The Best Vertical!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a Gap Titan for many, many years. It has survived 4 moves, assembled and dis-assembled each time. I have worked every state and over a hundred counties with it. It is a truly awesome piece of gear that does what it says they'll do. At this QTH, right on the Pacific Ocean, it has been eating salt water spray since August 2007. I have it mounted up 15 foot on a rusty pipe, so that it just clears the top of my garage and I guy it about two thirds of the way up with 3/16 dacron. It has survived 85 mph winds several times. I run a KW into it every day and walk the planet...hear them? Nail them! Recomended without reserve! If you can only have one antenna, get this one.

KA1UVJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2013 13:42 Send this review to a friend
Whats wrong?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the Titan probably 10 years ago. Assembly was not hard if you focus on the directions. I dont understand why people put this antenna down. I took it down as I got out of HF. I just reassembled it, and was worried about my install location. I mounted on the side of a tower with a standoff I guess about 3 feet. The counterpoise actually goes around the tower. It is about 7 feet to the conterpoise from the ground. I did use the proper mounting brackets and all. To my surprise the antenna performs great. SWR is excellent on every band except 15 meters and its not incredibly high, so a quick fine tune and it will be excellent. Everyone buys store bought antennas, slaps them together carelessly and then blames the manufacturer. All it takes is a little time and patience and any antenna can work. You may have to experiment some and educate yourself. If you dont have the patience to do that, then you really are in the wrong hobby. Thats what ham radio was and should still be all about.
I gave it a 5 because it does perform as good as gap claims, actually better in my situation. Maybe I got lucky.
I did have a quick qso with it on 40 meters with folks 500 miles away and everyone had good reports. I was running about 100 watts.
But it does beat having wires hanging all over. If i didnt have kids and a great dane to you wires down, then who knows. I will do more experimenting with it on other bands as time allows. But the way it was recieving I would expect good results, as I check SWR on the bands I was able to hear stations 15 - 20 over 9 on about every band. It could be interacting with the tower also and helping it out some how.
I am feeding it with about 20 ft of rg 8x (mini 8 ) coax. And I didnt have an extra connector and wasnt about to run to town for one. I spliced it with a butt connector and folded bother braids over it and over lapped them. Sealed it up pretty good and another surpise it worked well. I cant fault anything on it, no matter how it performs because of how i set it up. I did guy up the counter poise and I will guy off antenna sunday as it is supposed to be nice weather. And to make it less messy in the back yard, im thinking of making something to bolt to tower thats non conductive and brace the top of the antenna with it.