Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | GAP Titan Help

Reviews Summary for GAP Titan
GAP Titan Reviews: 197 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $titandx
Description: Covers 10m 12m 15m 17m 20m 30m 40m and 100 KHz on 80m, & WARC
More info: http://www.gapantenna.com

You can write your own review of the GAP Titan.

AE7LC Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2011 12:54 Send this review to a friend
No problem assembling or tuning  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I acquired a new GAP Titan about a month ago. Unlike many of the reviews here I found assembly very easy and the manual concise and accurate. I know some folks work better with a "picture book" manual but for me the text was spot on, easy to follow and to the point. Along with the one drawing of the entire antenna and the rest of the small drawings in the manual, it worked very well.

I immediately broke out a ratchet and socket instead of the included nut driver and I strongly recommend this! It took me about one hour to assemble on a couple of sawhorses. I mounted the antenna to a four foot piece of steel pipe and initially just buried a PVC pipe about two or three feet into the ground. It was easy enough to raise the antenna and slip it into the buried pipe but it is tall and not lightweight so I didn't like raising or lowering it when there was any wind. I later got the tilt-mount and that makes this super easy to raise or lower now. The counterpoise pieces pop off in a minute or so and down it comes or the other way around. Since my yard is not very large if I want to have guests over I can take the antenna down and set it off to the side of the yard by myself very easily.

Initial measurements showed the SWR excellent on 10m, 17m, and 30m; spectacular (so good - difficult to measure) on 20m, good enough on 15m and 12m, and resonated too high on 40m. 80m with the supplied cap is <2:1 from about 3.6 to 4.0MHz. I lengthened the counterpoise wire as long as it would go to get 40m in good shape from 7.07 to 7.3MHz. I don't do CW at this time so that's good for me. I lengthened the adjustments on the two tuning rods that have adjustments and 15m and 12m came in well.

One very easy way I came up with to find what tunes which band is to simply take a fluorescent tube and sniff around with it while a helper keys up.

I've guyed it on three sides. While it is sturdy enough to not get broken or blown apart in the wind it is simply too big and moves and bends enough for me to be completely uncomfortable with it being guyed when there is any wind. I had it up with the guy lines attached to the antenna but not secured to the ground stakes when a huge AZ dust storm rolled in and it look like it was bending so much that it made a slow curve with the top almost pointing horizontal! I quickly tied the guy lines to the stakes and all was well throughout the storm.

Right away I noticed that the counterpoise radials seemed to droop, especially in the hot AZ summer sun so I guyed them to the mast just below the feed point (the "gap"). This was so easy to do I don't know why anyone wouldn't.

I haven't worked it a lot yet and I'm fairly new to HF anyway. My impression is that it works as well as the 20m dipole I had been using but time will tell and I may submit a follow-up after some time with it. I've made some 20m SSB and PSK contacts easily enough and have gotten excellent reports back. I've gotten contacts from one end to the other of the US on 20m and also gotten Brazil, New Zealand, Cuba, Argentina and Russia on 20m PSK. I've done a little 10m phone work into CO, TX and NC.

My yard can't tolerate large radials well as it's half concrete and in the suburbs (not that big) so this seems a good choice for a vertical for my situation.

N4WVE Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2011 11:37 Send this review to a friend
More than you might think!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my Gap Titan DX after my A3S beam came crashing down in a storm. I was tired of tower climbing, but didn't want to lose the advantages of a beam. I also wanted 10-80 meter coverage and low SWR. Not much to ask, right? After extensive research, I decided that I did not want to cover my pasture with radials (even though I could as I have tons of room) and I wanted something at least as effective as a dipole or better. Since this is asking a lot, my expectations were pretty low. I settled on the Titan, but didn't expect much.
I could not have been more wrong! This is first a very unusual antenna. As a center fed vertical, it receives the same as my OCF dipole at 60 feet. No kidding. The first day on the air I worked Oman, Jordan and Kuwait back to back. VERY impressive! My SWR is 1.5:1 or lower on ALL bands including 40 and 80. With a kilowatt linear I can work anything I can hear. AND it is very nice to look at!
Now, having said this, let me offer some thoughts about construction. Putting this antenna together is more like building an electronic project. It does not snap together in 30 minutes. You HAVE to plan ahead and allow at least a half day of uninterupted time to build this antenna. Some can build quicker than others, but this should not be a race! Look closly at your planned installation location. DO NOT have any metal or other obstructions near the antenna. Make sure you use the insulators between the antenna and support mast...they are there for a reason! Also, use the little coax hole at the bottom. There is a reason for that, too. The instructions are precise and MUST be followed to the letter! When you think you have completed the build, let it lay there a while, step away, and look at it again later. You may see something you missed. I did. I put ONE end insulator on the counterpoise on backward and could not tune 40 meters. Take your time!! The GAP forum is great help if you need advice and responses come back quickly. I can't say enough about Rich and Chris and their great support for their products!
If you build it right they (the DX) will come! No lie! It is NOT a beam, but I feel mine works as well as my A3S without directivity. I do live on top of a mountain, 700 feet above the surrounding countryside and I am sure this is a great benefit for this antenna as all four sides of my mountain fall off steeply, but this antenna has a very low angle and can really reach out for DX! Anyone with any questions may to contact me directly. You will love this antenna!

KI0RQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2011 18:24 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a 6 yr. old GAP Titan vertical that had a few parts missing and needed some TLC. I disassembled it completely and got it home.
I went over every part and cleaned and polished it.
Bought a few parts, ( wires, end caps and a new 80 meter cap and started reassembling it.
I had no problems with the manual, just read it a few times and then read one section at a time while assembling and then recheck your work, and then recheck it again before moving to the next section.DON'T BE IN A HURRY.Turn off the radio, TV, and ask for peace and quiet. I had a few questions
regarding ordering parts and checking tuning after assembly and a couple calls to Rich at GAP
took care of everything. I then installed it on top of an old military tilt up mast, it would put the base of the Titan at 12 ft. I installed a guy clamp and 4 dacron guys before I tilted it up.
My wife and I tilted it up with no problems. She leaned into a rope while I lifted. Worked great.
I ran all the recommended tests and all were between 1.1 and 2.1 with one exception. I could not load 10 meters. One call to rich at GAP and that was fixed by adding about 2 ft. to the wire extension on the counterpoise.
Next, The acid test. I put it on the air on 20 meters and found a pile up on 14,200 all trying to contact a station in Kuwait, I live in Missouri. So I figured the GAP is touted as a great DX antenna, SO when the station signed with his last qso I gave a call in the pile up and he cam right back to me first and gave me a +20 report. He asked what I was running, I told him a Drake TR-4C at 180 watts into a GAP Titan vertical. He said it sounds great
I was flabbergasted. I had never had a qso outside North America. I have never run an amplifier. After that I contacted a station in Russia. That's two in less than 15 minutes. I cannot say enough about the service response from Rich & Chris at GAP. The old adage: It's not big power, It's the Antenna that makes it all work. This antenna proves it to me.
I have only used the Titan for a few days, so I will write an update after I have used it for a while. Many thanks Rich.
PS I have no affiliation with GAP products, just a few calls to Rich for help.
Great antenna Frank Donnelly KI0RQ

K4FLH Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2011 16:08 Send this review to a friend
Works great !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my GAP Titan DX for 3 years now. I have moved it from a ground mount to a 10 foot mast coming out of a 10ft tri-pod mounted on a concret pad. Both configurations work great. It's now that I have a bit more yard room with the counterpoise over head so we can walk under it. LOL.

The antenna was fairly easy to build. The instructions were spot on. No trouble understanding them at all. I had no need to do any tweeking after assembly. It operated as advertised immediately!

I have read that some find that the counterpoise tubing bends under the weight of snow. What I did is insert wooden dowel rods up inside the tubing. After all the HEAVY (as in weight) snow we had this past month my counterpoises are as straight as the proverbial arrow!

I'm tempted to try another GAP antenna product, since this one works so well for me. I'm curious about the Voyager DX. It has 160M capability that I could use. Maybe this spring!

W2ALQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2011 17:47 Send this review to a friend
Great worth the Effort  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First, if it is worth having it is worth the effort, believe me this antenna isn't a snap together or plug and play antenna. It is a precision peace of HF RF engineering. Never use the word easy until it is erected and functioning, and you are sitting in your easy chair, then it is easy to make almost countless contacts. Mine was used and it's dis-assembly was frightful, the bottom yellow coax was broken missing shielding and pulled out from the top coax section. My friend and I had to perform (near heart surgery on the "magic" center of the antenna) a complete internal repair of the bottom half and the two shield extensions to the skin of the antenna was required. WE DID NOT RE-ENGINEER THIS ANTENNA. It is hard to improve upon near perfection. I have great VSWR's on it when I completed the last page of tested frequencies it is 16 feet above ground level (AGL). All VSWR's are below a 2 except for 12 meters which is right at 2. Please remember, that Richard and Chris are just a call away and if you don't try to change their engineering they will bend over backwards for you. You will need more than one other person (three would be better) to raise it higher. If you need help, check out the Gap user group on Yahoogroups. Again, remember two things; 1) if it is worth having it is worth the effort 2) absolute attention to detail and patients will give you great results.

K1SMA Rating: 4/5 Nov 27, 2010 21:15 Send this review to a friend
Good vertical for someone with little yard space!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I will start out by saying this antenna is NOT easy to put together, as has been said before. I bought mine used and the top yellow coax was pulled out and I had no idea what to do. We took a chance and figured it had to fold up inside, and it did. I also will say i had great swr's on it when i tested it 4 ft above ground, but when I raised it up to 10 foot, some of the swr on some channels went way up. Others were fine. We finally compensated and cut off the pipe to 8 foot, and now all swr's are below a 2 except 12 meters which is right at 2. 15,20 and 80 are barely above a 1.1. I do live in a MH park and was worried. After a couple calls to Chris at Gap, he told me it has to be twice the height of the structure you are near away to work correctly. Which mine is. I have little room for wires and ground radials, this works nice. I have already talked around US some, and have reached Italy, Spain and Brazil on it also with 100 watts. After I get an amp, I suspect I will get alot more people from other countries. I also bought a tilt mount from Gap and it is great also as this antenna is very heavy to try to maneuver up in the air. You will need more than one other person to raise it higher, and lower it back if something needs changed. If you need help, check out the Gap group on Yahoo groups, they are very helpful people, as was Chris at Gap.

IZ1RZO Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2010 16:48 Send this review to a friend
IT WORKS  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After all my tests finally the Titan works and the swr situation is the following:
-80m
>2,0 from 3.610 to 3.735
>best swr: 1.4 @ 3680
-40m
>2,0 from 7.067 to 7.360
>best: 1,4 @ 7.185
-20m
>2,0 from 12.200(!) to 14.600
>best: 1,4 entire band(!)
-17m
>best: 1,2 @ 21.310
-10m
>2,0 from 28.120 to 29.250
>best: 1,7 @ 28.650
About 30m and 12m, I'm not very interested, but the antenna works fine there too. 2 weeks ago I've been hearing VK's long-path from my Titan on 20m, a couple of stations on portable...for example. This antenna works, in my opinion. For sure a monobander beam give more DX chances, but it's fine antenna for a vertical.
Those who said it doesn't maybe done something wrong during the mounting or put the Titan in a bad place... The assembly instructions are clear, in my opinion. Just have to read slowly
and with patience. I did it even if english isn't my language, just have to assembly not being in a hurry. I'm enjoing mine!
Best 73, GD DX de IZ1RZO

KG8JF Rating: 3/5 Nov 5, 2010 05:06 Send this review to a friend
Not totally pleased  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Does not work nearly as well as my Carolina Windom and a bunch cheaper

KD8KEO Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2010 15:26 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a update to the review I wrote on 9/23. Like many "Ham" operators, I wanted to tweak my Titan to improve performance. When I installed it the SWR readings were a little higher across the bands than advertised by GAP. Well, I took pictures of my antenna and sent them in a e-mail to GAP. Rich responded with some recommendations. So, I got some friends together and tilted the antenna down and made the recommended adjustments. Guess what...the SWR readings were out of site at 22.1 and greater. Went over the antenna again checking each step along the way with the manufactures installation instruction sheet. I checked the connections at the radio, at the antenna...nothing found wrong. Well, I took more pictures of the antenna and called Rich. Needless to say at this point I was frustrated and ready to junk the antenna. Rich worked with me over several hours to isolate the cause of the problem and resolve it. The problem was a short that was caused by a faulty connector at the line coming out of the antenna. Yes, I had checked the connection with a multimeter and it showed OK. Evidently, the center conductor broke when I tilted the antenna down for the original repairs. I can not say enough good things about Rich and his willingness to work with customers. He believe in the product and, to quote Rich, "as long as you are willing to give us a chance we will stay with you until we an get you squared away". I would recommend taking pictures if you have a problem and sending them to Rich or Chris. This allows them to visually look at your installation and then make a more informed recommendation. Now, my recommendation to Gap would be to update the instruction sheet that comes with the antenna. It might be helpful if they add actual installation photos on their web site.

W6CD Rating: 4/5 Oct 16, 2010 05:54 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the antenna up for about two years. Mounted on a 15' mast. The mast has a eve bracket at about 8' and I have three guy ropes on the antenna. After putting it up I have had no problems and have not had it down. It works well on all bands. With a good SWR on all bands.

The assenbly instructions as others have said leave much to be desired. If you search around the internet you will find additional info and close up pictures that can be a big help. Some of physical element mounting is a bit difficult to get mounted straight, but with a bit of working at it comes out ok. The instructions are the reason for the 4 rating.

I would recommend the antenna if it fits your need and requirements.