Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | GAP Titan Help

Reviews Summary for GAP Titan
GAP Titan Reviews: 195 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $titandx
Description: Covers 10m 12m 15m 17m 20m 30m 40m and 100 KHz on 80m, & WARC
More info: http://www.gapantenna.com

You can write your own review of the GAP Titan.

KI0RQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2011 18:24 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a 6 yr. old GAP Titan vertical that had a few parts missing and needed some TLC. I disassembled it completely and got it home.
I went over every part and cleaned and polished it.
Bought a few parts, ( wires, end caps and a new 80 meter cap and started reassembling it.
I had no problems with the manual, just read it a few times and then read one section at a time while assembling and then recheck your work, and then recheck it again before moving to the next section.DON'T BE IN A HURRY.Turn off the radio, TV, and ask for peace and quiet. I had a few questions
regarding ordering parts and checking tuning after assembly and a couple calls to Rich at GAP
took care of everything. I then installed it on top of an old military tilt up mast, it would put the base of the Titan at 12 ft. I installed a guy clamp and 4 dacron guys before I tilted it up.
My wife and I tilted it up with no problems. She leaned into a rope while I lifted. Worked great.
I ran all the recommended tests and all were between 1.1 and 2.1 with one exception. I could not load 10 meters. One call to rich at GAP and that was fixed by adding about 2 ft. to the wire extension on the counterpoise.
Next, The acid test. I put it on the air on 20 meters and found a pile up on 14,200 all trying to contact a station in Kuwait, I live in Missouri. So I figured the GAP is touted as a great DX antenna, SO when the station signed with his last qso I gave a call in the pile up and he cam right back to me first and gave me a +20 report. He asked what I was running, I told him a Drake TR-4C at 180 watts into a GAP Titan vertical. He said it sounds great
I was flabbergasted. I had never had a qso outside North America. I have never run an amplifier. After that I contacted a station in Russia. That's two in less than 15 minutes. I cannot say enough about the service response from Rich & Chris at GAP. The old adage: It's not big power, It's the Antenna that makes it all work. This antenna proves it to me.
I have only used the Titan for a few days, so I will write an update after I have used it for a while. Many thanks Rich.
PS I have no affiliation with GAP products, just a few calls to Rich for help.
Great antenna Frank Donnelly KI0RQ

K4FLH Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2011 16:08 Send this review to a friend
Works great !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my GAP Titan DX for 3 years now. I have moved it from a ground mount to a 10 foot mast coming out of a 10ft tri-pod mounted on a concret pad. Both configurations work great. It's now that I have a bit more yard room with the counterpoise over head so we can walk under it. LOL.

The antenna was fairly easy to build. The instructions were spot on. No trouble understanding them at all. I had no need to do any tweeking after assembly. It operated as advertised immediately!

I have read that some find that the counterpoise tubing bends under the weight of snow. What I did is insert wooden dowel rods up inside the tubing. After all the HEAVY (as in weight) snow we had this past month my counterpoises are as straight as the proverbial arrow!

I'm tempted to try another GAP antenna product, since this one works so well for me. I'm curious about the Voyager DX. It has 160M capability that I could use. Maybe this spring!

W2ALQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2011 17:47 Send this review to a friend
Great worth the Effort  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First, if it is worth having it is worth the effort, believe me this antenna isn't a snap together or plug and play antenna. It is a precision peace of HF RF engineering. Never use the word easy until it is erected and functioning, and you are sitting in your easy chair, then it is easy to make almost countless contacts. Mine was used and it's dis-assembly was frightful, the bottom yellow coax was broken missing shielding and pulled out from the top coax section. My friend and I had to perform (near heart surgery on the "magic" center of the antenna) a complete internal repair of the bottom half and the two shield extensions to the skin of the antenna was required. WE DID NOT RE-ENGINEER THIS ANTENNA. It is hard to improve upon near perfection. I have great VSWR's on it when I completed the last page of tested frequencies it is 16 feet above ground level (AGL). All VSWR's are below a 2 except for 12 meters which is right at 2. Please remember, that Richard and Chris are just a call away and if you don't try to change their engineering they will bend over backwards for you. You will need more than one other person (three would be better) to raise it higher. If you need help, check out the Gap user group on Yahoogroups. Again, remember two things; 1) if it is worth having it is worth the effort 2) absolute attention to detail and patients will give you great results.

K1SMA Rating: 4/5 Nov 27, 2010 21:15 Send this review to a friend
Good vertical for someone with little yard space!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I will start out by saying this antenna is NOT easy to put together, as has been said before. I bought mine used and the top yellow coax was pulled out and I had no idea what to do. We took a chance and figured it had to fold up inside, and it did. I also will say i had great swr's on it when i tested it 4 ft above ground, but when I raised it up to 10 foot, some of the swr on some channels went way up. Others were fine. We finally compensated and cut off the pipe to 8 foot, and now all swr's are below a 2 except 12 meters which is right at 2. 15,20 and 80 are barely above a 1.1. I do live in a MH park and was worried. After a couple calls to Chris at Gap, he told me it has to be twice the height of the structure you are near away to work correctly. Which mine is. I have little room for wires and ground radials, this works nice. I have already talked around US some, and have reached Italy, Spain and Brazil on it also with 100 watts. After I get an amp, I suspect I will get alot more people from other countries. I also bought a tilt mount from Gap and it is great also as this antenna is very heavy to try to maneuver up in the air. You will need more than one other person to raise it higher, and lower it back if something needs changed. If you need help, check out the Gap group on Yahoo groups, they are very helpful people, as was Chris at Gap.

IZ1RZO Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2010 16:48 Send this review to a friend
IT WORKS  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After all my tests finally the Titan works and the swr situation is the following:
-80m
>2,0 from 3.610 to 3.735
>best swr: 1.4 @ 3680
-40m
>2,0 from 7.067 to 7.360
>best: 1,4 @ 7.185
-20m
>2,0 from 12.200(!) to 14.600
>best: 1,4 entire band(!)
-17m
>best: 1,2 @ 21.310
-10m
>2,0 from 28.120 to 29.250
>best: 1,7 @ 28.650
About 30m and 12m, I'm not very interested, but the antenna works fine there too. 2 weeks ago I've been hearing VK's long-path from my Titan on 20m, a couple of stations on portable...for example. This antenna works, in my opinion. For sure a monobander beam give more DX chances, but it's fine antenna for a vertical.
Those who said it doesn't maybe done something wrong during the mounting or put the Titan in a bad place... The assembly instructions are clear, in my opinion. Just have to read slowly
and with patience. I did it even if english isn't my language, just have to assembly not being in a hurry. I'm enjoing mine!
Best 73, GD DX de IZ1RZO

KG8JF Rating: 3/5 Nov 5, 2010 05:06 Send this review to a friend
Not totally pleased  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Does not work nearly as well as my Carolina Windom and a bunch cheaper

KD8KEO Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2010 15:26 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a update to the review I wrote on 9/23. Like many "Ham" operators, I wanted to tweak my Titan to improve performance. When I installed it the SWR readings were a little higher across the bands than advertised by GAP. Well, I took pictures of my antenna and sent them in a e-mail to GAP. Rich responded with some recommendations. So, I got some friends together and tilted the antenna down and made the recommended adjustments. Guess what...the SWR readings were out of site at 22.1 and greater. Went over the antenna again checking each step along the way with the manufactures installation instruction sheet. I checked the connections at the radio, at the antenna...nothing found wrong. Well, I took more pictures of the antenna and called Rich. Needless to say at this point I was frustrated and ready to junk the antenna. Rich worked with me over several hours to isolate the cause of the problem and resolve it. The problem was a short that was caused by a faulty connector at the line coming out of the antenna. Yes, I had checked the connection with a multimeter and it showed OK. Evidently, the center conductor broke when I tilted the antenna down for the original repairs. I can not say enough good things about Rich and his willingness to work with customers. He believe in the product and, to quote Rich, "as long as you are willing to give us a chance we will stay with you until we an get you squared away". I would recommend taking pictures if you have a problem and sending them to Rich or Chris. This allows them to visually look at your installation and then make a more informed recommendation. Now, my recommendation to Gap would be to update the instruction sheet that comes with the antenna. It might be helpful if they add actual installation photos on their web site.

W6CD Rating: 4/5 Oct 16, 2010 05:54 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the antenna up for about two years. Mounted on a 15' mast. The mast has a eve bracket at about 8' and I have three guy ropes on the antenna. After putting it up I have had no problems and have not had it down. It works well on all bands. With a good SWR on all bands.

The assenbly instructions as others have said leave much to be desired. If you search around the internet you will find additional info and close up pictures that can be a big help. Some of physical element mounting is a bit difficult to get mounted straight, but with a bit of working at it comes out ok. The instructions are the reason for the 4 rating.

I would recommend the antenna if it fits your need and requirements.

KC3JV Rating: 4/5 Oct 14, 2010 22:28 Send this review to a friend
Counterpoise rods bend  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a GAP Titan for many years but like VE1WCP I have had trouble with the counterpoise rods bending. We have our share of ice and icy snow here in Philly, PA.

I have had trouble with the plastic cap that covers the 75 M loading coil at the top of the antenna. The cap does not stay on well and had to hunt around for somthing that was plastic and UV stable. I finally settled on a PVC cap with electrical tape to hold it on but the cap is not UV stable.

The antenna performs very well on all bands. The counterpoise rods should be "T" or "I" beam material to take the ice and snow loading.

N1CKQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2010 09:53 Send this review to a friend
Impressed by GAP Titan DX vertical.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I have been using the Titan DX nearly 3 weeks from my Massachusetts location. It is hearing stations that my dipole and off center fed Windom either do not hear or not as well. At times, the Titan hears 3-6 S units better than the other antennas. Transmitting with the Titan, depending upon conditions as is the case with any antenna, can mean 2-4 S units better in comparison with my other antennas. What is surprising is that as little as 15 watts have allowed a contact with Italy. True signal was not S9 but I was heard clearly which is my object. With 25 or 40 watts signal reports have been anywhere from S6-8. At 100 watts, S9 to 20 over 9 reports are not uncommon.

The Titan is a long distance antenna. In addition to Italy, I have QSOed Estonia, Lithuania, Bulgaria, Guadeloupe, Cuba, British Columbia, Norway, Germany, Argentina and 11 states including California.

SWR on 10-40 meters across bands is below 1.7 and in some cases, flat. On 80 meters, SWR is 1.7 to 1.9 in my operating range.

Richard and Chris at GAP were superb with customer service regarding assembly and tuning. I admittedly “goofed” with some of the assembly. They both, via telephone and email, were very patient and understanding taking as long as they had to guide me so I could have the Titan performing effectively efficiently without a tuner.