Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | GAP Titan Help

Reviews Summary for GAP Titan
GAP Titan Reviews: 189 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $titandx
Description: Covers 10m 12m 15m 17m 20m 30m 40m and 100 KHz on 80m, & WARC
More info: http://www.gapantenna.com

You can write your own review of the GAP Titan.

W6CD Rating: 4/5 Oct 16, 2010 05:54 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the antenna up for about two years. Mounted on a 15' mast. The mast has a eve bracket at about 8' and I have three guy ropes on the antenna. After putting it up I have had no problems and have not had it down. It works well on all bands. With a good SWR on all bands.

The assenbly instructions as others have said leave much to be desired. If you search around the internet you will find additional info and close up pictures that can be a big help. Some of physical element mounting is a bit difficult to get mounted straight, but with a bit of working at it comes out ok. The instructions are the reason for the 4 rating.

I would recommend the antenna if it fits your need and requirements.

KC3JV Rating: 4/5 Oct 14, 2010 22:28 Send this review to a friend
Counterpoise rods bend  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a GAP Titan for many years but like VE1WCP I have had trouble with the counterpoise rods bending. We have our share of ice and icy snow here in Philly, PA.

I have had trouble with the plastic cap that covers the 75 M loading coil at the top of the antenna. The cap does not stay on well and had to hunt around for somthing that was plastic and UV stable. I finally settled on a PVC cap with electrical tape to hold it on but the cap is not UV stable.

The antenna performs very well on all bands. The counterpoise rods should be "T" or "I" beam material to take the ice and snow loading.

N1CKQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2010 09:53 Send this review to a friend
Impressed by GAP Titan DX vertical.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I have been using the Titan DX nearly 3 weeks from my Massachusetts location. It is hearing stations that my dipole and off center fed Windom either do not hear or not as well. At times, the Titan hears 3-6 S units better than the other antennas. Transmitting with the Titan, depending upon conditions as is the case with any antenna, can mean 2-4 S units better in comparison with my other antennas. What is surprising is that as little as 15 watts have allowed a contact with Italy. True signal was not S9 but I was heard clearly which is my object. With 25 or 40 watts signal reports have been anywhere from S6-8. At 100 watts, S9 to 20 over 9 reports are not uncommon.

The Titan is a long distance antenna. In addition to Italy, I have QSOed Estonia, Lithuania, Bulgaria, Guadeloupe, Cuba, British Columbia, Norway, Germany, Argentina and 11 states including California.

SWR on 10-40 meters across bands is below 1.7 and in some cases, flat. On 80 meters, SWR is 1.7 to 1.9 in my operating range.

Richard and Chris at GAP were superb with customer service regarding assembly and tuning. I admittedly “goofed” with some of the assembly. They both, via telephone and email, were very patient and understanding taking as long as they had to guide me so I could have the Titan performing effectively efficiently without a tuner.

KE0UF Rating: 2/5 Sep 6, 2010 18:50 Send this review to a friend
Poor Customer Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
After purchasing a Gap Titan Vertical Antenna and assembling it using the really bad instructions, I was very disappointed three days
later when it was damaged by wind. A new piece of tubing had to be ordered and was not covered under "warranty" according to the factory. Someone commented from GAP that maybe my neighbors had something to do with the damage? I live on a ranch in Montana and don't have any neighbors! It appears that the aluminum tubing is rather thin walled and certianly could have been thicker in the design area. Besides the under engineered design, at best it is an over complicated vertical with average performance. I would recommend purchasing a vertical antenna from another company.

W4HLN Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2010 16:33 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the antenna up for 14 days now and worked the stations below...so far its working great at 5 feet off the ground.I just scan the bands when I get an hour here or there and look mainly for new ones....there has been 2 stations I couldnt contact so far and they were fairly close by...All stations were worked on 20 meters except the noted station below were worked on 40.

All contacts made running 100 watts.

DL2AA GERMANY
IQ2CJ ITALY 40 METERS
5B4AIF CYPRUS 40 METERS
SY9M CRETE
HI3FVA DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
VK7VE TASMANIA ( AUSTRALIA )
FO8RV FRENCH POLYNESIA
OK1CF CZECH REPUBLIC
4B1GZU MEXICO
ER4DX MOLDAVIA
J48LH GREECE

Ernie / W4HLN

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2010 21:11 Send this review to a friend
Very capable antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I found this Titan as an estate "clean up and use" item... for $125... so I spent a weekend cleaning all the connections and replacing any leads that looked questionable... then put it up with the counterpoise about 5 foot off the ground.. the results have been quite surprising, with 40 meter contacts coming in very well, and the 75 meter "3905 CC net" guys REALLY interested in the new guy on freq! All in all, an excellent investment here for a very few dollars... I've compared it to the MA5B beam on the roof and it's usually a few s-units down, but not all the time.. often it seems to be the same signal strength.. based on this very limited experience, I'd say it was a great value for the $$ invested.. I'd guess if it were a little higher in the air, i would be an even higher rated antenna... Cheers... Bob KK8ZZ

W3EFE Rating: 4/5 May 1, 2010 13:33 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna, Poor Assembly Instructions  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have Titan for over a year now. Assembly Instructions are poorly written. When completed called Titan regarding an assembly question and was told to ignore instructions and change spacings to different locations other then what was not on instruction sheet. Titan is elevated 10 feet off the ground and had to adsd two additional stubs via experimentation before swr was satisfactory. Also added 4 non conductive guys to each counterpoise to mast to support them during snow loadsas was recommended by previous reviewer. Resulting SWR excellent across all bands. Well worth the effort. Antenns performs much better then expected and no problems during winter snowstorms and high winds. 167 Countries worked in about a year with sporadic operation. Highly recommended Vertical once you get it up and working properly. Would purchase another.

N3GKS Rating: 4/5 Apr 12, 2010 17:17 Send this review to a friend
Still eval. SoFar-SoGood  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The antenna went together as advertised. I have it mounted to a DX Engineering tilt mount attached to a piece of galvanized water pipe sunk 5 ft into the ground with fence post anchors clamped to the pipe and buried. The problem is I didn't learn my lesson with an R7000 which not only bowed but broke below CT1. I had my Titan guyed using the GAP system and specified guy point. In a recent wind storm the antenna bowed between the guy point and mount. I tilted it over today and the damage is minimal. I contacted GAP and suggested a second guy point midway between the upper guy point and the mount. They agreed. As I'm writing this, another consideration might be to lower the single guy point. Once I straighten the elements that were slightly bent, I'm going with the double guy. I'll let you know how it works.
Mike
N3GKS

W4PUP Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2010 12:03 Send this review to a friend
5 watt SSB DX? Yep!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Since getting a Yeasu 817ND for Christmas I have found the secret of this radio is antenna,antenna, antenna! I ordered a small whip style with a jumper for the different coils, made a nice SWL antenna I suppose. I then put up a GAP Titan DX and it was the difference between night and day. Here in S. Florida I can sit in my lawn chair at the base of the vertical with the short coax lead from the antenna, center and shield hooked to a binding post/BNC on the front of the radio, drink coffee and work DX. Tip of the hat to G1MYA, my first 15 meter DX this morning. I've bettered 1 watt per thousand miles 3 times now with QSOs in Latvia, Vienna, and Slovenia (YL2BJ, OE3DIA, S58N) Also worked J79WW, TI8II, HI7MC, PA3GSU all in the last 30 days.

KF5BQJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2010 13:53 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I assembled and put this antenna up by my self in about 8 hrs seven feet off the ground. If I had to do it again, mabey 4 hrs. The instructions are a little hard to understand, but I must have gotten it right. I only made one adjustment and that was to the counterpoise hoop wire. It works as described. NO tuner needed.
I have made quite a few DX contacts as well as good reports here in the lower 48.