Reviews Categories | Towers, masts, accessories, climbing gear | Glen Martin Hazer system Help

Reviews Summary for Glen Martin Hazer system
Reviews: 22 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $$389
Description: wench operated tower tram system for raising and lowering antennas without having to climb the tower

You can write your own review of the Glen Martin Hazer system.

K4RVN Rating: 3/5 Jul 22, 2014 17:04 Send this review to a friend
Pulley and cable are Junk .  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my first Hazer in 1989. Pulley is still in use today, cable lasted for years before being replaced
I put up another tower with a new hazer in April of 2014. The cable is already badly rusted and the pulley broke on the 5th use to lower the hazer
to adjust the antenna. The cable became lodged in a tower rung up near the top and had to be cut to let the antenna the rest of the way down where it stopped about 20 ft. in the air. Antenna weighs about 50 lbs. total. The pulley came apart the cable dropped and the safety stop kept the antenna from falling down. Wish I had listened to a previous review about the no good pulley and to buy stainless steel cable. Now I have to take the tower down un- assemble the antenna except for the boom, replace the pulley and cable. A sorry no good pulley supplied by Glen Martin has caused me all this work and loss of use of the antenna. The price I paid was enough for them to supply a decent pulley and good galvanized cable like they did on the one I bought in 1989 for a lot less.
Take my advice go for the heavy duty pulley and stainless steel cable.

KR9E Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2013 18:33 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased with the Hazer  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the 4' Hazer with braking wench and rollers on a 40' Rohn 25 hinge-base tower. Mosley TA-33 WARC on a 10' mast and a Yaesu rotator. Works very smoothly and easily on this tower which I refurbished. I'll repeat a much mentioned caution - DO NOT USE the Glenn Martin pulley. I replaced it with a heavy duty pulley block from Tractor Supply. Thanks to earlier eHam comments, I tried the GM pulley with only 20' of tower pushed up and the cable jammed between the pulley and the housing the FIRST time I tried it. The $10 replacement works fine. Easy, smooth raising and lowering of the Mosley beam. I'm also going to replace the safety lock line with a more substantial one or perhaps a small diameter metal cable. I bought my Hazer as used, but although partially assembled it had never been used on a tower.

WD8AAM Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2011 06:42 Send this review to a friend
Really nice to have!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I installed a 38' Rohn 25G tower, and used my hazer on it to raise and lower my TA-33 HF Beam Yagi antenna. Never once in three years did I have a problem. Worth eveny penny of the cost.
(My hazer had the rollers). Made for smooth raising/lowering. Nice piece of equipment!

WR0F Rating: 2/5 Nov 11, 2010 19:13 Send this review to a friend
Replace the Pulley  Time owned: more than 12 months
I would give it a 5 but Pulley needs major help .
The Hazer works great but do yourself a favor and change out that pulley now and avoid grief later climbing over your Hazer to replace a pulley that is jammed.
My cable in the pulley became wedged .Its no fun trying to climb over a hazer with tower rungs blocked
Would I buy another Hazer ? yes if I did the pulley swap 1st as that is the weak link .

K5MO Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2010 16:55 Send this review to a friend
10 yrs, zero problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the heavy duty Hazer on my 40 foot Rohn 25 tower. I've had zero problems and have on it a 4 el tribander and above it, a 30m rotary dipole. I suppose it would be possible to build one for less money, but I'm happy with the value I got. I had no problems assembling the unit and no problems installing it.

I've read others mentioning their problems on a 60 foot tower. Well, it's not supposed to go on a 60 foot tower, it's supposed to go on no more than 40' of Rohn 25. Using it on a taller tower would involve either not guying it to manufacturers specs, or some strange detachable guy system, I suppose. Perhaps if Rohn and Glen Martin tell you not to exceed 40 feet, there might be a reason?

Mine has gone through numerous tropical storms, ice storms and still works and looks good. I'd not hesitate to buy another. I love the convenience of getting my antennas down to ladder height to do maintenance and lowering them when bad weather is on the way.

KE7WRJ Rating: 1/5 Dec 13, 2009 07:15 Send this review to a friend
Never Again  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I put on my 60 foot Rohn 25, worked great at first, but after the first unexpected 75 mph wind storm the hazer got all out of wack, and would not come down at all. Head to rent a crane, climb the tower and lower everything with the crane. I'll never us a hazer again. Save yourself a lot of trouble and just get a crank up / tilt over tower

W9BKR Rating: 2/5 Feb 12, 2009 06:53 Send this review to a friend
Weak Design - Needs Work  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a Hazer system for about 10 years now. The cable GM uses on their hazer in my opinion is weak. The cable sleeves that hold the cable to the hazer is very, very weak. I recommend you add some securing of your oan at the base of the rotor plat form and at the top of the hazer in case one of the sleeves or cable at that point fails. At least you have something.

YOU CANNOT CLIMB THESE TOWERS.

They are not structurally strong enough for that and the rungs will bend easily.

Instructions are non-existent and the workmanship is okay but not the best.

All in all, way over priced for what you get. For a 50 Ft tower, it shouldn't cost over $1000. It actually lists in the $2000 range.
You can get a crank up tower for that price which is what I should have done.

Every time it storms, I shudder with that thing in the yard. Never worried with my Rohn!

WU5E Rating: 4/5 Oct 25, 2008 07:51 Send this review to a friend
Not bad at all  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the Hazer HD for my Rohn 25 tower for 3 years. not a problem has occured.

I hate climbing so this was a god send.

KB0QC Rating: 2/5 Oct 10, 2008 14:17 Send this review to a friend
Hazer 2  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased the Hazer 2 system. now after finding this section, I find that the product is over priced for what you get in return. The documentation for it is just plain awful. No support from Glen Martin. Trying to put the thing together without any type of instruction is a nightmare. I have it mounted at the base of my Rohn 25, 40 feet. cant figure out the safety latch system, nothing is marked, no instructions and dont have a clue. I have searched the internet trying to find information and its not there.

I have been reading all of the reports here on EHam, wish I had read it first before wasting my hard earned money. I hope some of you can advise me on what to do. The idea is good its just the product is not worth the trouble, if all you have to do is modify it. Hell I havent even raise or lowered it yet

W1CTN Rating: 3/5 Aug 29, 2007 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Middle of the road  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a GM H4 Hazer on my tower. It supports a Tennadyne T10 Log Periodic, Ham 4 rotor and 2m/440 vertical on a 50 ft Rohn 25 tower. The system has been up for 4 years now and I have the following comments of it. I perform a bi-annual maintenance on it since I installed it.

It does what is advertised to do, hoist an antenna up a fixed tower. How well is another statement.

I have a brake winch option with mine that should be included as a standard feature and not as an option.

The hoist Cable is in fine condition but the winch housing is showing corrosion. Is a plated steel winch housing the best they could come up with? Stainless or galvanized should be standard as it is out in the weather.

The roller wheels are a joke. The only way to keep them rolling is to make them too loose for comfort. All mine do is keep the hazer properly spaced from the tower, they never roll.

Instruction manual is very poor. Someone without mechanical training would need some assitance in assembling the hazer.

Quality control on the parts were poor. I had to clean out many holes before assembly.

Let me close in saying that on the plus side, it hasn't fallen apart and aside from some problems, I think it will do as the designers intended it to do. I would not buy another, as I'm sure I can homebrew a better one.

Dave