Reviews Categories | Towers, masts, accessories, climbing gear | Glen Martin Hazer system Help

Reviews Summary for Glen Martin Hazer system
Reviews: 21 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $$389
Description: wench operated tower tram system for raising and lowering antennas without having to climb the tower

You can write your own review of the Glen Martin Hazer system.

KR9E Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2013 18:33 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased with the Hazer  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the 4' Hazer with braking wench and rollers on a 40' Rohn 25 hinge-base tower. Mosley TA-33 WARC on a 10' mast and a Yaesu rotator. Works very smoothly and easily on this tower which I refurbished. I'll repeat a much mentioned caution - DO NOT USE the Glenn Martin pulley. I replaced it with a heavy duty pulley block from Tractor Supply. Thanks to earlier eHam comments, I tried the GM pulley with only 20' of tower pushed up and the cable jammed between the pulley and the housing the FIRST time I tried it. The $10 replacement works fine. Easy, smooth raising and lowering of the Mosley beam. I'm also going to replace the safety lock line with a more substantial one or perhaps a small diameter metal cable. I bought my Hazer as used, but although partially assembled it had never been used on a tower.

WD8AAM Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2011 06:42 Send this review to a friend
Really nice to have!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I installed a 38' Rohn 25G tower, and used my hazer on it to raise and lower my TA-33 HF Beam Yagi antenna. Never once in three years did I have a problem. Worth eveny penny of the cost.
(My hazer had the rollers). Made for smooth raising/lowering. Nice piece of equipment!

WR0F Rating: 2/5 Nov 11, 2010 19:13 Send this review to a friend
Replace the Pulley  Time owned: more than 12 months
I would give it a 5 but Pulley needs major help .
The Hazer works great but do yourself a favor and change out that pulley now and avoid grief later climbing over your Hazer to replace a pulley that is jammed.
My cable in the pulley became wedged .Its no fun trying to climb over a hazer with tower rungs blocked
Would I buy another Hazer ? yes if I did the pulley swap 1st as that is the weak link .

K5MO Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2010 16:55 Send this review to a friend
10 yrs, zero problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the heavy duty Hazer on my 40 foot Rohn 25 tower. I've had zero problems and have on it a 4 el tribander and above it, a 30m rotary dipole. I suppose it would be possible to build one for less money, but I'm happy with the value I got. I had no problems assembling the unit and no problems installing it.

I've read others mentioning their problems on a 60 foot tower. Well, it's not supposed to go on a 60 foot tower, it's supposed to go on no more than 40' of Rohn 25. Using it on a taller tower would involve either not guying it to manufacturers specs, or some strange detachable guy system, I suppose. Perhaps if Rohn and Glen Martin tell you not to exceed 40 feet, there might be a reason?

Mine has gone through numerous tropical storms, ice storms and still works and looks good. I'd not hesitate to buy another. I love the convenience of getting my antennas down to ladder height to do maintenance and lowering them when bad weather is on the way.

KE7WRJ Rating: 1/5 Dec 13, 2009 07:15 Send this review to a friend
Never Again  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I put on my 60 foot Rohn 25, worked great at first, but after the first unexpected 75 mph wind storm the hazer got all out of wack, and would not come down at all. Head to rent a crane, climb the tower and lower everything with the crane. I'll never us a hazer again. Save yourself a lot of trouble and just get a crank up / tilt over tower

W9BKR Rating: 2/5 Feb 12, 2009 06:53 Send this review to a friend
Weak Design - Needs Work  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a Hazer system for about 10 years now. The cable GM uses on their hazer in my opinion is weak. The cable sleeves that hold the cable to the hazer is very, very weak. I recommend you add some securing of your oan at the base of the rotor plat form and at the top of the hazer in case one of the sleeves or cable at that point fails. At least you have something.

YOU CANNOT CLIMB THESE TOWERS.

They are not structurally strong enough for that and the rungs will bend easily.

Instructions are non-existent and the workmanship is okay but not the best.

All in all, way over priced for what you get. For a 50 Ft tower, it shouldn't cost over $1000. It actually lists in the $2000 range.
You can get a crank up tower for that price which is what I should have done.

Every time it storms, I shudder with that thing in the yard. Never worried with my Rohn!

WU5E Rating: 4/5 Oct 25, 2008 07:51 Send this review to a friend
Not bad at all  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the Hazer HD for my Rohn 25 tower for 3 years. not a problem has occured.

I hate climbing so this was a god send.

KB0QC Rating: 2/5 Oct 10, 2008 14:17 Send this review to a friend
Hazer 2  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased the Hazer 2 system. now after finding this section, I find that the product is over priced for what you get in return. The documentation for it is just plain awful. No support from Glen Martin. Trying to put the thing together without any type of instruction is a nightmare. I have it mounted at the base of my Rohn 25, 40 feet. cant figure out the safety latch system, nothing is marked, no instructions and dont have a clue. I have searched the internet trying to find information and its not there.

I have been reading all of the reports here on EHam, wish I had read it first before wasting my hard earned money. I hope some of you can advise me on what to do. The idea is good its just the product is not worth the trouble, if all you have to do is modify it. Hell I havent even raise or lowered it yet

W1CTN Rating: 3/5 Aug 29, 2007 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Middle of the road  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a GM H4 Hazer on my tower. It supports a Tennadyne T10 Log Periodic, Ham 4 rotor and 2m/440 vertical on a 50 ft Rohn 25 tower. The system has been up for 4 years now and I have the following comments of it. I perform a bi-annual maintenance on it since I installed it.

It does what is advertised to do, hoist an antenna up a fixed tower. How well is another statement.

I have a brake winch option with mine that should be included as a standard feature and not as an option.

The hoist Cable is in fine condition but the winch housing is showing corrosion. Is a plated steel winch housing the best they could come up with? Stainless or galvanized should be standard as it is out in the weather.

The roller wheels are a joke. The only way to keep them rolling is to make them too loose for comfort. All mine do is keep the hazer properly spaced from the tower, they never roll.

Instruction manual is very poor. Someone without mechanical training would need some assitance in assembling the hazer.

Quality control on the parts were poor. I had to clean out many holes before assembly.

Let me close in saying that on the plus side, it hasn't fallen apart and aside from some problems, I think it will do as the designers intended it to do. I would not buy another, as I'm sure I can homebrew a better one.

Dave
W1CTN
w1ctn@yahoo.com

KL8DX Rating: 4/5 Aug 26, 2007 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Worked for me but...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the Hazer4 and I was a little worried about some of the reviews I read . Several of the other posts had valid points. I purchased the following;

Hazer 4
Brake Winch
Heavy Duty Pulley Block
Roller Bearings

The brake winch is a must in my opinion. An option I am glad I spent the extra money on. Sure helps as once you get a good size beam, rotor, mast and the Hazer on the tower, lots of weight to manage.

The heavy duty pulley block is questionable. I do see that the cable if slack, can find itself between the pulley and the pulley housing rendering the pulley useless. I read of one other ham having this problem and it actually happened to me in the "beginning" stages of putting the Hazer system on the tower. With that in mind, if you use theirs, I would suggest not sitting the Hazer on a rung taking the weight off of the cable. I find it works best about 1 crank above a rung so the cable cannot achieve any slack allowing it to jump the pulley.

The roller bearing kit was a waste of money in my opinion. The rollers are uneven and do not roll smoothly as it navigates up and down the tower. This does have potential but the way they are currently manufactured and connected to the Hazer finds them more of a useless add on than anything.

The Hazer instructions are less than poor. When it comes to towers and safety, the poor directions supplied can certainly lead to safety issues if the system is not built properly. You will have to take your time and look at various photos and look for photos on the internet. This was the only way I found when trying to piece the system together.

The crank housing also left something to be desired. I have a Rohn 25 and there is a very close tolerance between the crank and how it is mounted to the tower itself. When cranking the tower, the handle to the crank has to be pulled outward so it does not hit the side of the tower. I tried several configurations but modifying the handle was necessary for me.

The Hazer worked its way up my tower the first time very well. All in all, the concept is great and with a little more tweaking, Glen Martin could have a trouble free system. I purchased the system only because it is too costly for me to have a crank up tower delivered to my QTH but I also wanted to ability to lower my array due to the high winds we experience here, hopefully extending the life of my antennas and rotor.

The folks at Glen Martin worked with me on my rural shipping needs and they were quick to respond to my e-mails and to ship the Hazer to my QTH. I rated this a "4" because it does work for me but be prepared to spend lots of time in putting the system together. I built mine over the course of last winter, thankfully. Some of the tolerances could have been better. All in all, when you can't get a crank up tower and don't want to climb, this may be the way to go. I have a tilt base for my Rohn 25 so I just laid my tower over to install the system so no climbing was required.