Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | MFJ-1714 Long Ranger 2-meter telescopic antenna Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1714 Long Ranger 2-meter telescopic antenna
MFJ-1714 Long Ranger 2-meter telescopic antenna Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $16.95
Description: The Long Ranger 2 Meter 1/2 wave. For long range this MFJ endfed 1/2 wave is hard to beat. Outperforms a 5/8 wave on an HT because the 5/8 wave needs a ground plane. It's shorter, lighter, has more gain and places less stress on your antenna connector. When collapsed it performs like a rubber duck (0 1/2"). 40 in. extended.

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1714 Long Ranger 2-meter telescopic antenna.

KD5RHR Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2016 12:18 Send this review to a friend
Still fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hard to believe it's been 13 years since I added this item to the reviews. I just broke my 4th one over that time period, and ordered 2 more just now. These are now available with SMA, part # 1714S. This antenna and my venerable old VX-150 are still a hard combination to beat! See my 2003 review for more
VE7KCY Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2015 21:15 Send this review to a friend
Superb for Long Range HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am remarkably surprised by the performance of this telescoping 2m long range HT antenna. Had no issues being copied from a repeater almost 50 miles away with antenna fully extended @ 5w. For the price I don't know if it can be beat. Still need to determine how it will fair backpacking, but its construction seems fairly decent so far.
W1WOW Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2014 19:31 Send this review to a friend
Nice for extended range for your 2m HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice execution for an extended range 2m HT antenna. We use our 2m HTs while hunting the national forests in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Lots of trees, many pine, and this antenna has made a great improvement for communications between hunters.

Love that it can be used both extended AND retracted...really nice and a must for under $20.

Nice job MFJ.

KK4FKS Rating: 4/5 Oct 2, 2013 05:48 Send this review to a friend
Great for reaching out!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ok, I heard alot about this 1/2 wave telescopic antenna and just had to see if it would work backpacking in the hills of Virginia during a recent camping trip. It worked remarkable well, the only issue I had was that I have to connect it to a SMA to BNC adaptor and there is wiggle room from that so the radio and antenna did not act as one whole piece. Definately not for use when actively hicking, but once stationary this antenna rocks! Very compact for a 1/2 wave antenna, I'm loving the telescopic antennas right now! This is not my daily use antenna but definately wont leave on a trip with out it...

K6SDW Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2013 00:29 Send this review to a friend
Well made and works  Time owned: more than 12 months
Makes a big difference with 2mtr HT's
N7DMA Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2013 16:02 Send this review to a friend
Best antenna for 2m portable!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for over a decade. Yes, I treat it carefully. It goes into my hiking pack for all my (mis)adventures, along with my VX-150. I've had many long distance QSO's from local mountaintops, regularly make simplex contacts into Phoenix from the Santa Catalina mountains just north of Tucson, close to 100 miles... with 5 watts!

Treat it like glass, and it'll last you a long time, and reward you with great performance! Mine is getting a little stiff, and maybe in a couple of years, I'll buy a replacement or 2.

Best portable antenna for my use. Buy one!

WB6TNB Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2013 21:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a major improvement over whatever came with your HT. It can make the difference between getting into and not getting into distant repeaters. Unlike an almost identical Smiley antenna I bought a long time ago it is easy on the BNC connector.
KB1WLM Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2012 03:43 Send this review to a friend
Cost Effective  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use the SMA version on an HT and have found it gives significant improvement over the factory version. I did my research on this model and am very happy with the purchase. It is rigid so I bought an extra in case I damage it, but its still worth the cost of both.
AE6ZW Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2011 08:40 Send this review to a friend
GOOD / but not for high power  Time owned: more than 12 months
it work great for HT, it work much better than rubber duck.
but, when I put 50 watts into it, it melted plastic inside. so don't do same mistake as I did.
N7TDC Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2011 18:55 Send this review to a friend
Super 2m Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was so impressed with the first MFJ-1714 2m HT antenna I bought that I purchased another one.

As has been mentioned by other operators, this antenna has good gain, works very well, is durable and collapses down to stow away.

The MFJ-1714 antenna satisfies my 2m needs nicely.

Thanks again MFJ for another mighty fine and priced just right product.