Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | MFJ-1714 Long Ranger 2-meter telescopic antenna Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1714 Long Ranger 2-meter telescopic antenna
MFJ-1714 Long Ranger 2-meter telescopic antenna Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $16.95
Description: The Long Ranger 2 Meter 1/2 wave. For long range this MFJ endfed 1/2 wave is hard to beat. Outperforms a 5/8 wave on an HT because the 5/8 wave needs a ground plane. It's shorter, lighter, has more gain and places less stress on your antenna connector. When collapsed it performs like a rubber duck (0 1/2"). 40 in. extended.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1714

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1714 Long Ranger 2-meter telescopic antenna.

KK4FKS Rating: 4/5 Oct 2, 2013 05:48 Send this review to a friend
Great for reaching out!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ok, I heard alot about this 1/2 wave telescopic antenna and just had to see if it would work backpacking in the hills of Virginia during a recent camping trip. It worked remarkable well, the only issue I had was that I have to connect it to a SMA to BNC adaptor and there is wiggle room from that so the radio and antenna did not act as one whole piece. Definately not for use when actively hicking, but once stationary this antenna rocks! Very compact for a 1/2 wave antenna, I'm loving the telescopic antennas right now! This is not my daily use antenna but definately wont leave on a trip with out it...

K6SDW Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2013 00:29 Send this review to a friend
Well made and works  Time owned: more than 12 months
Makes a big difference with 2mtr HT's

N7DMA Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2013 16:02 Send this review to a friend
Best antenna for 2m portable!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for over a decade. Yes, I treat it carefully. It goes into my hiking pack for all my (mis)adventures, along with my VX-150. I've had many long distance QSO's from local mountaintops, regularly make simplex contacts into Phoenix from the Santa Catalina mountains just north of Tucson, close to 100 miles... with 5 watts!

Treat it like glass, and it'll last you a long time, and reward you with great performance! Mine is getting a little stiff, and maybe in a couple of years, I'll buy a replacement or 2.

Best portable antenna for my use. Buy one!

N7DMA

WB6TNB Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2013 21:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a major improvement over whatever came with your HT. It can make the difference between getting into and not getting into distant repeaters. Unlike an almost identical Smiley antenna I bought a long time ago it is easy on the BNC connector.

KB1WLM Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2012 03:43 Send this review to a friend
Cost Effective  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use the SMA version on an HT and have found it gives significant improvement over the factory version. I did my research on this model and am very happy with the purchase. It is rigid so I bought an extra in case I damage it, but its still worth the cost of both.

AE6ZW Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2011 08:40 Send this review to a friend
GOOD / but not for high power  Time owned: more than 12 months
it work great for HT, it work much better than rubber duck.
but, when I put 50 watts into it, it melted plastic inside. so don't do same mistake as I did.

N7TDC Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2011 18:55 Send this review to a friend
Super 2m Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was so impressed with the first MFJ-1714 2m HT antenna I bought that I purchased another one.

As has been mentioned by other operators, this antenna has good gain, works very well, is durable and collapses down to stow away.

The MFJ-1714 antenna satisfies my 2m needs nicely.

Thanks again MFJ for another mighty fine and priced just right product.

73...

KB3TUO Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2011 09:58 Send this review to a friend
Great improvement over rubber duck!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm an electrical engineering student at The University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown. Every year I have spent here, I've lived in a different building. Some were in the open, but most are shielded by other buildings made of stone and steel.

My little Yaesu VX-3R only puts out a watt and a half on battery power, and the rubber duck wasn't cutting it anymore. I have never mishandled the radio, although it has been put in my pocket lots of times and the rubber duck has been bent every which way.

I just received the Long Ranger today, and WOW what a difference! I can hit most of the repeaters around here from IN MY ROOM on 100 milliwatts!

I got the BNC version and I use an SMA-BNC adapter so I still have room to plug in my speaker mic.

I was considering other antennas such as the Diamond SRH77CA and the Comet SMA-24 that were shorter but cost about the same. I figured I would rather have a half wave on top of my HT and sacrifice portability. I chose this one because HTs don't seem to have much of a ground plane to work with. Don't get me wrong though, this antenna is still only ten inches when it's collapsed;easy to fit in a shirt pocket.

The bottom line is, this antenna does what it's advertised to do, and it's also a great bang for the buck.

73 DE KB3TUO

N7TDC Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2011 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Superb 2m HT Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Friend operator and I both purchased one of this MFJ-1714 telescopic antennas for our HT's.

We've been testing them out with remarkable results.

Thanks, MFJ...for another thing done right.

Great bang for our amateur radio buck...so much so that I bought a second one for my other HT.

De, N7TDC

N2DY Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2009 08:44 Send this review to a friend
Lives Up to Its Name  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this antenna when I am in marginal signal areas and need a boost. It works as advertised. There is a HUGE difference between using this full-sized half wave antenna and an ordinary rubber duck. Because the ground plane of an HT itself is so small, using a half wave that requires no ground plane at all is very smart. I have used this antenna mainly outdoors where the size does not get in the way and it has made all the difference. It's like having a small amplifier. Construction is good and it is relatively light weight. Mine came with a BNC connector. If they have not come out with it yet, MFJ should consider producing an SMA version. That way you would not need an adapter if your HT uses SMA. Overall, it is a great product.