Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | MFJ-1714 Long Ranger 2-meter telescopic antenna Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1714 Long Ranger 2-meter telescopic antenna
MFJ-1714 Long Ranger 2-meter telescopic antenna Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $16.95
Description: The Long Ranger 2 Meter 1/2 wave. For long range this MFJ endfed 1/2 wave is hard to beat. Outperforms a 5/8 wave on an HT because the 5/8 wave needs a ground plane. It's shorter, lighter, has more gain and places less stress on your antenna connector. When collapsed it performs like a rubber duck (0 1/2"). 40 in. extended.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1714

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1714 Long Ranger 2-meter telescopic antenna.

N7TDC Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2011 18:55 Send this review to a friend
Super 2m Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was so impressed with the first MFJ-1714 2m HT antenna I bought that I purchased another one.

As has been mentioned by other operators, this antenna has good gain, works very well, is durable and collapses down to stow away.

The MFJ-1714 antenna satisfies my 2m needs nicely.

Thanks again MFJ for another mighty fine and priced just right product.

73...

KB3TUO Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2011 09:58 Send this review to a friend
Great improvement over rubber duck!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm an electrical engineering student at The University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown. Every year I have spent here, I've lived in a different building. Some were in the open, but most are shielded by other buildings made of stone and steel.

My little Yaesu VX-3R only puts out a watt and a half on battery power, and the rubber duck wasn't cutting it anymore. I have never mishandled the radio, although it has been put in my pocket lots of times and the rubber duck has been bent every which way.

I just received the Long Ranger today, and WOW what a difference! I can hit most of the repeaters around here from IN MY ROOM on 100 milliwatts!

I got the BNC version and I use an SMA-BNC adapter so I still have room to plug in my speaker mic.

I was considering other antennas such as the Diamond SRH77CA and the Comet SMA-24 that were shorter but cost about the same. I figured I would rather have a half wave on top of my HT and sacrifice portability. I chose this one because HTs don't seem to have much of a ground plane to work with. Don't get me wrong though, this antenna is still only ten inches when it's collapsed;easy to fit in a shirt pocket.

The bottom line is, this antenna does what it's advertised to do, and it's also a great bang for the buck.

73 DE KB3TUO

N7TDC Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2011 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Superb 2m HT Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Friend operator and I both purchased one of this MFJ-1714 telescopic antennas for our HT's.

We've been testing them out with remarkable results.

Thanks, MFJ...for another thing done right.

Great bang for our amateur radio buck...so much so that I bought a second one for my other HT.

De, N7TDC

N2DY Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2009 08:44 Send this review to a friend
Lives Up to Its Name  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this antenna when I am in marginal signal areas and need a boost. It works as advertised. There is a HUGE difference between using this full-sized half wave antenna and an ordinary rubber duck. Because the ground plane of an HT itself is so small, using a half wave that requires no ground plane at all is very smart. I have used this antenna mainly outdoors where the size does not get in the way and it has made all the difference. It's like having a small amplifier. Construction is good and it is relatively light weight. Mine came with a BNC connector. If they have not come out with it yet, MFJ should consider producing an SMA version. That way you would not need an adapter if your HT uses SMA. Overall, it is a great product.

KJ4LYU Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2009 08:57 Send this review to a friend
100% WOW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wow! this is a must if you talk on 2 meter! Yes it is tall but you can't beat it for transmit and receive of a HT! This is not a city antenna this is an outdoors hiking antenna. I bought the vx8r because I wanted a great radio for hiking but the stock antenna was terrible! If you want to use this antenna you will need some sort of SMA to BNC adapter to make it work.

PROs- great receive and transmit, will increase your over all distance by 50% to 100%, low cost

CONs- very tall, not flexible

VA2MBA Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2009 10:59 Send this review to a friend
performante  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Vraiment superieur a ma ruberduck sur mon ic-v8. Le RX est amélioré de plus de 50 %. Le TX aussi est vraiment supérieur qu'avec la ruberduck. J'ai cependant ajouté du tape noir sur la partie inférieur afin d ajouter de la solidité.