Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | High Sierra HS-900DX Help

Reviews Summary for High Sierra HS-900DX
High Sierra HS-900DX Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $400
Description: Mini screwdriver antenna similar to the popular HS-1800DX but with a smaller coil and 3' whip.
More info: http://www.cq73.com

You can write your own review of the High Sierra HS-900DX.

K7JQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2004 02:15 Send this review to a friend
Exceeds Expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Living in an antenna prohibited community, I wanted something as an outside alternative to my attic mounted dipoles, yet still be virtually unnoticable to my neighbors and the HOA. I was also considering the purchase of a small amp (Ameritron ALS-600) and needed power handling capabilities (don't want to feed 500-600 watts into the attic!) Already having great success with the High Sierra Sidekick in the car, I decided on the HS-900/PRO.

At less than 5 feet fully extended and covering 40-6 meters (have no real desire for 80 meters, and the HS-1800/PRO is 10 feet tall), this antenna met my needs. I have it mounted on a steel "view fence" (70 feet long, 5 feet high with vertical bars every 4 inches that looks out on the Arizona desert from my back yard), using it as a counterpoise..NO RADIALS. I attached the 40 meter matching coil at the bottom and....VSWR is totally FLAT at resonance on every band! Comparisions with my mono-band dipoles in the attic generally yielded better receive signal strengths and less noise on the HS-900/PRO. Transmitted signal strengths were generally equal to or better than the attic dipoles.

The antenna is built like a tank, virtually hidden from everyone and exceeds my expectations in all respects. I just ordered my ALS-600 and anticipate a better punch when needed (and gets the RF outside). Highly recommended. Jim Heath of High Sierra is very responsive with questions and advice.

AA8RF Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2003 22:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Screwdriver in a smaller size  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a screwdriver that I could use with a heavy duty magmount or trunk lip mount on rentals and company cars. I also had to be able to get it into parking garages.

HS pointed me toward the 900DX which has less wind load than their full sized products. I added on a normal threaded stud type mount (though it is a female rather than the usual male in the one they sent me) and a fold over for the whip.

The whip fold over changed the tuning range slightly but still covers 40M thru 6M continuously. An added bonus to this model is being able to work 6M without having to remove the whip.

A good ground is CRITICAL to this antenna working well - I used the HS cable which works exceptionally. In fact I bought their install kit and some extra ground wire for the shack.

I got good pre- and post-sales technical support by phone and e-mail.

I have been VERY pleasantly surprised by the performance for a 5' antenna. Having that coil up high with a high-Q unit and a good ground really outperform base loaded monobanders I have used that were longer.

-Jim