Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond SG7900 Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond SG7900
Diamond SG7900 Reviews: 38 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $119.99
Description: 2meter and 70cm mobile vertical
More info: http://www.randl.com

You can write your own review of the Diamond SG7900.

NV8G Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2016 07:24 Send this review to a friend
Almost Perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
I give the performance of this antenna the highest possible rating. I have two of these antennas, and have owned them for approx 2 years. Low swr throughout entire spectrum. However: They wont take ANY abuse at all. As some others in here have stated, I also have had to replace one of the coils. One hit in a parking garage and the the PLASTIC threads in the coil completely stripped and separated from the antenna. Parts were available, and I got great service from Diamond. But WHY, are they making a premium antenna with plastic threads? SO, now I am very careful about removing the antenna when I'm in parking garages, etc. If they would fix this problem ,this would be the very best mobile vhf/uhf antenna available.

AD0AR Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2016 20:15 Send this review to a friend
Thumbs up!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this antenna for over 2 years now.
The unit I have has the UHF base.
Beat the heck out of it mobile, portable, and base. It has seen it all, including a dive off of the second story of my house. The fold over mechanism has a slight s-curve to it after the the big fall, but SWR is still good throughout both band ranges. I can't find a portable/mobile that can beat it's SWR range and performance for it's size. Plus it does work considerably well without a counterpoise/ground plane base for portable use. I have tried it with a magnetic base on the roof of my car when stationary and compared it to a tripod mount and observed no difference in performance. The size makes it useful for portable, mobile, and base station operations, but Mr. Obvious recommends the higher the antenna is erected, the better/farther the range.
When compared to my Diamond X-200A that replaced this, I found that the sg7900 also exhibits excellent commercial wideband coverage whereas the Diamond X-200A exhibited more attenuation on frequencies outside of the ham bands.
In God we trust, all others we monitor 73 de AD0AR

K2POL Rating: 0/5 Nov 11, 2016 06:59 Send this review to a friend
Stay away from it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased and install the SG7900A-NMO at HRO New Castle, Delaware on 7 Oct 2016.

On 19 Oct 2016, I’m wrapping up my day at my second job. I open my hatchback as normal placing my day pack and lunch bag in the back of the car. As I lift the hatchback up, and just before it’s completely open I hear the antenna hitting the hood of my car. It took a moment for me to actually comprehend what had just happen…. disbelief, standing there in awe as I see recent purchase of 13 days ago broken before me. I have a Tarheel Srewdriver antenna, a Larson antenna, had a Comet SBB-7 55” antenna on the back of my 2012 Focus for 2 years, never an issue.

After seven phone calls, two answering machines, two short conversations (an Operator and Wayne), at least 3 emails with attachments to Brian I've received no return calls or emails from Diamond. I've given up on Diamond Antenna and their products - Customer service/support does not exist. Antenna was a good performer, flawed mechanics, poor customer support and you can forget about the warranty.

W9OS Rating: 2/5 Dec 26, 2015 08:25 Send this review to a friend
broken  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was given this antenna after it ate a tree..
The base coil was broke in half.
Got it super glued back in shape.
Ohming out the base to the whip shows an open.
My SG 7500 shows the same.. Must be capacitance fed.
Also the very top coil shows open.Not sure if there is a capacitor in there or not?
The SWR is over 3:1 in 2M
Any info or help appreciated..

VE2CII Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2014 10:50 Send this review to a friend
best performing, worst quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is probably the best mobile antenna on
the market as far as performance goes. The problem
is that it is one of the worst quality wise. There is a U-joint to allow it to fold over and the salt gets to that and eats it. There are no seals of any kind to prevent this. When the U-joint breaks the antenna is useless. I have this antenna for 20 years and it never sees winter or any kind of weather salt environment. All teh diamond SG series
suffer from the same malady.

KC5ONZ Rating: 1/5 Jun 9, 2014 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Thread Stripping  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the second SG7900 I have owned in the past 2+ years. Both have had the threads at where the coils attach strip on the small plastic portion. This is a known problem that Diamond appears to not want to deal with. Good antenna other wise if this problem could be dealt with.

K3GBB Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2012 11:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Had this antenna for about a year. Great performer and very low SWR. Beats anything else I have ever had on my car. The problem I had was to find a good mag mount base for such a tall antenna. After searching the internet for about a day I came across the Tram 3267 mag mount from http://www.theantennafarm.com. It has 145 pounds pull strength with RG58 cable. Works great at highway speeds.

KD5NDU Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2012 14:24 Send this review to a friend
Got good signal reports  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I been useing sg9700 on 2 meter for a year now. I got it mounted on top of my chevy siverdro truck roof. Got good signal reports from it.
And running it with 9700 yeasu

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2011 19:44 Send this review to a friend
Works this time too  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second go around with the 7900. I had one abt 10 years ago and it works great. SO when i decided to go for a high gain mobile antenna again I ordered up a 7900. work just like i remember! Excellent antenna. A++++ in my book

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2011 18:26 Send this review to a friend
Keeps on working  Time owned: more than 12 months
Guess I'll second everyone else's comments.. had mine seven years through snow and salt and heat and whatever... Diamond K-400 mount also.. indestructible, keeps on working every day, no matter what.

de KK8ZZ