Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond SG7900 Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond SG7900
Diamond SG7900 Reviews: 33 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $119.99
Description: 2meter and 70cm mobile vertical
More info: http://www.randl.com

You can write your own review of the Diamond SG7900.

KC5ONZ Rating: 1/5 Jun 9, 2014 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Thread Stripping  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the second SG7900 I have owned in the past 2+ years. Both have had the threads at where the coils attach strip on the small plastic portion. This is a known problem that Diamond appears to not want to deal with. Good antenna other wise if this problem could be dealt with.

K3GBB Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2012 11:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Had this antenna for about a year. Great performer and very low SWR. Beats anything else I have ever had on my car. The problem I had was to find a good mag mount base for such a tall antenna. After searching the internet for about a day I came across the Tram 3267 mag mount from http://www.theantennafarm.com. It has 145 pounds pull strength with RG58 cable. Works great at highway speeds.

KD5NDU Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2012 14:24 Send this review to a friend
Got good signal reports  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I been useing sg9700 on 2 meter for a year now. I got it mounted on top of my chevy siverdro truck roof. Got good signal reports from it.
And running it with 9700 yeasu

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2011 19:44 Send this review to a friend
Works this time too  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second go around with the 7900. I had one abt 10 years ago and it works great. SO when i decided to go for a high gain mobile antenna again I ordered up a 7900. work just like i remember! Excellent antenna. A++++ in my book

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2011 18:26 Send this review to a friend
Keeps on working  Time owned: more than 12 months
Guess I'll second everyone else's comments.. had mine seven years through snow and salt and heat and whatever... Diamond K-400 mount also.. indestructible, keeps on working every day, no matter what.

de KK8ZZ

N2OBY Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2011 13:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the SG7900 for at least five or six years now, first on my car using the K400 mount, then on my truck mounted to the cab protector.

Performance has always been outstanding, both on transmit and receive. I had to send it in for repair a couple of years ago when a low-hanging branch on a parkway broke the center coil. The folks at Diamond were courteous and efficient, and the antenna was repaired and returned promptly; though being out of warranty it did cost a bit to repair (can't remember how much now).

However last week I noticed that the black plastic on the base coil was cracked, and what appears to be glue had oozed out. It's stil performing as well as always, though I have to address the issue.

At this point I'm more inclined to replace it than repair it again, though I'll probably purchase another SG7900. I've put lots of miles on this one in all sorts of conditions, so I don't think I can really complain. It's provided outstanding service.

KF5HDU Rating: 4/5 Jan 5, 2011 06:37 Send this review to a friend
Great signal reports!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I will temper my comments with the fact I have only had the antenna a couple of days. I have this one mounted with a K400 HD, and it is replacing a 770HA antenna. I am happy with the 770A, however, I drive about 50,000 miles a year and I am hoping to get a little better range out of the 7900. Yesterday on my commute home, I hit a few distant repeaters, and asked for some signal reports, and all of them came back with reports of great audio and 100% copy. I am running n FT-7900 Yaesu by the way.

AA8XR Rating: 2/5 Nov 17, 2010 10:56 Send this review to a friend
repairs repairs repairs  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This will be the third time repairing this antenna, at 15 bucks a send that's 45 more dollars for an antenna than I should have to spend. This antenna has had its coils, both center and base, replaced. Here we go again with more repairs. I am hoping for a positive end and will keep all informed. 73!

AA8XR Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2010 10:52 Send this review to a friend
Update on my sg7900a  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello all, just returned to me yesterday was my repaired SG7900A. It had a new center coil replaced under warranty. The antenna now has an SWR no worse than 1.4:1 on UHF and 1.1:1 on VHF. Hooray. I have a great working antenna once more, just as it was when new a few weeks back. I applaud the gentlemen of Diamond who were very courteous on the phone and email, fixed the problem and shipped it back to me. Excellent work and I will keep posted on the future performance of the antenna. 73 all. Joe

K0WJ Rating: 1/5 May 16, 2010 20:42 Send this review to a friend
Poor Mechanical Design  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the 7900 for over a year. For this past year, it has performed well. A few weeks ago, the power output from my radio dropped to well below what was needed to hit the repeaters in the area. A watt meter confirmed this, so I checked the SWR. It was well over 3:1. I took the antenna off its mount and there was water dripping out of it. I unscrewed the top part containing the foldover mechanism and it was wet inside. Upon further inspection, I noticed a lot of cracks in the black insulating material. I brought it into the house and set it on a hot plate on low and watched the water leak out these cracks. I cannot get all of the water out evidently as the SWR is still over 3:1. I took the base coil to Dayton and asked the rep about it and he said that parts were available. I don't think I should have to pay for parts that weren't abused (the antenna has NEVER hit an obstruction), so I read reviews for all of the popular antennas and bought the Larsen at Dayton. I'll NEVER buy another Diamond product.