Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond SG7900 Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond SG7900
Diamond SG7900 Reviews: 35 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $119.99
Description: 2meter and 70cm mobile vertical

You can write your own review of the Diamond SG7900.

AA8XR Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2010 10:52 Send this review to a friend
Update on my sg7900a  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello all, just returned to me yesterday was my repaired SG7900A. It had a new center coil replaced under warranty. The antenna now has an SWR no worse than 1.4:1 on UHF and 1.1:1 on VHF. Hooray. I have a great working antenna once more, just as it was when new a few weeks back. I applaud the gentlemen of Diamond who were very courteous on the phone and email, fixed the problem and shipped it back to me. Excellent work and I will keep posted on the future performance of the antenna. 73 all. Joe
K0WJ Rating: 1/5 May 16, 2010 20:42 Send this review to a friend
Poor Mechanical Design  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the 7900 for over a year. For this past year, it has performed well. A few weeks ago, the power output from my radio dropped to well below what was needed to hit the repeaters in the area. A watt meter confirmed this, so I checked the SWR. It was well over 3:1. I took the antenna off its mount and there was water dripping out of it. I unscrewed the top part containing the foldover mechanism and it was wet inside. Upon further inspection, I noticed a lot of cracks in the black insulating material. I brought it into the house and set it on a hot plate on low and watched the water leak out these cracks. I cannot get all of the water out evidently as the SWR is still over 3:1. I took the base coil to Dayton and asked the rep about it and he said that parts were available. I don't think I should have to pay for parts that weren't abused (the antenna has NEVER hit an obstruction), so I read reviews for all of the popular antennas and bought the Larsen at Dayton. I'll NEVER buy another Diamond product.
KC8TFL Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2010 08:28 Send this review to a friend
great antenna but  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna for over 5 years no problems with antenna, just with trying to find a mount that will hold up to it. range is the best I've had. to those who have problems with the fold over try mounting the antenna angled slightly to the front of the car the wind will pull it up if the antenna is vertical or slightly toward the rear of the car but with it angled slightly forward I have had this antenna at speeds over 100 mph just don't ask me where... lol
KJ4EBE Rating: 3/5 Feb 25, 2010 13:21 Send this review to a friend
No that supergainer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, it is not a bad antenna. But my Comet SBB-25 outperform the Diamond SG7900 on 2 meter band. The Diamond SG7900 is useless for my since I can not reach my link from the same location where my Comet SBB-25 is able to do it.
VE3PLO Rating: 2/5 Jan 17, 2010 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Save your money !!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Worked, when worked. After about 4 months of owning it, the antenna separated at the black coil. The solder went kaput, and the glue at the coil cracked and separated. Not something i expected from the most expensive DUAL band mobile vhf/uhf antenna out there. Save your money, buy a Diamond S285M or M285S--- something like that. It is just a whip, is tunable to 2m. Comes with a chart etc.. and the best part!!! i paid 30$ for it at the store.
M6KIM Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2009 18:14 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Indeed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using my SG7900 daily for over a year now. I'm confused by some reviewers comments because mine:

Has never failed or snapped over even at regular speeds of 70MPH+.

Nothing has broken.

There has been no water ingress.

It consistently gives good performance on both 70CM and 2M with low SWR and good penetration and range over various terrain.

It's the best VHF mobile antenna I have ever owned and i've had a few.
KJ4EOZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2009 09:19 Send this review to a friend
VERY HAPPY WITH IT !!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have this Antenna on my wifes car its up very high in the air and It works great !! RX & TX I think this is the best antenna you can buy for 2 meters and 440 .
She runs it with a FT-7800R .
She has hit things with this antenna its a tank !
Maybe some of the guys on here are hitting things at 80mph . Or just have no luck with antennas . I have 6 Diamond antennas base and mobiles and all have been great !!
73s all / KJ4EOZ
K1SJC Rating: 1/5 Sep 12, 2008 12:24 Send this review to a friend
No thanks!  Time owned: more than 12 months
When it works - it works great. BUT... This is my 3rd catastrophic failure in well under 4 years (the first failure was a physically broken lower load coil covered just before the warranty expired). That's not acceptable to me. Let's just say this expensive antenna has quite the appetite for replacement parts! The TCO adds up quickly.

Diamond got me for the burned out phase capacitor in my last review - and now, that one has burned up too. A call to RF Parts, asking what the deal is - and they indicate it can happen if water gets into it. This 60 inch antenna is mounted as low as it can go on the driver's front fender. I don't know how water is getting into it. They want $17.25 for another one (who knows what the shipping is), so I said "no thanks" I'm done with the SG7900A (probably Diamond, too). Warranty is 1 year on the whole antenna and 90 days on parts. Steer clear of this money pit!
VK4TZA Rating: 4/5 Aug 30, 2008 01:39 Send this review to a friend
Good for TX gain  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The SG7900 TX was very good TX. RX is comparable with the other units I have own. Itís not really all that robust, and I was concerned that the unit would fail in an off road situation (in my 4X4) . For this reason I was willing to sacrifice the TX gain and stick with more robust constructed Comet.
SV2BWM Rating: 4/5 May 1, 2008 05:17 Send this review to a friend
Drive slowly with that!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's a very good mobile antenna with SWR <1.5 and lot of dB's (VHF:5/UHF:7.6), but you must drive slowly and not in very windy roads! Even if you have a good magnet mount in the rooftop you could have the antenna ripped apart from the wind! Now, I have it installed in the back of my house's balcony and everything is OK...LOL