Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond SG7900 Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond SG7900
Diamond SG7900 Reviews: 38 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $119.99
Description: 2meter and 70cm mobile vertical
More info: http://www.randl.com

You can write your own review of the Diamond SG7900.

N2OBY Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2011 13:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the SG7900 for at least five or six years now, first on my car using the K400 mount, then on my truck mounted to the cab protector.

Performance has always been outstanding, both on transmit and receive. I had to send it in for repair a couple of years ago when a low-hanging branch on a parkway broke the center coil. The folks at Diamond were courteous and efficient, and the antenna was repaired and returned promptly; though being out of warranty it did cost a bit to repair (can't remember how much now).

However last week I noticed that the black plastic on the base coil was cracked, and what appears to be glue had oozed out. It's stil performing as well as always, though I have to address the issue.

At this point I'm more inclined to replace it than repair it again, though I'll probably purchase another SG7900. I've put lots of miles on this one in all sorts of conditions, so I don't think I can really complain. It's provided outstanding service.

KF5HDU Rating: 4/5 Jan 5, 2011 06:37 Send this review to a friend
Great signal reports!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I will temper my comments with the fact I have only had the antenna a couple of days. I have this one mounted with a K400 HD, and it is replacing a 770HA antenna. I am happy with the 770A, however, I drive about 50,000 miles a year and I am hoping to get a little better range out of the 7900. Yesterday on my commute home, I hit a few distant repeaters, and asked for some signal reports, and all of them came back with reports of great audio and 100% copy. I am running n FT-7900 Yaesu by the way.

AA8XR Rating: 2/5 Nov 17, 2010 10:56 Send this review to a friend
repairs repairs repairs  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This will be the third time repairing this antenna, at 15 bucks a send that's 45 more dollars for an antenna than I should have to spend. This antenna has had its coils, both center and base, replaced. Here we go again with more repairs. I am hoping for a positive end and will keep all informed. 73!

AA8XR Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2010 10:52 Send this review to a friend
Update on my sg7900a  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello all, just returned to me yesterday was my repaired SG7900A. It had a new center coil replaced under warranty. The antenna now has an SWR no worse than 1.4:1 on UHF and 1.1:1 on VHF. Hooray. I have a great working antenna once more, just as it was when new a few weeks back. I applaud the gentlemen of Diamond who were very courteous on the phone and email, fixed the problem and shipped it back to me. Excellent work and I will keep posted on the future performance of the antenna. 73 all. Joe

K0WJ Rating: 1/5 May 16, 2010 20:42 Send this review to a friend
Poor Mechanical Design  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the 7900 for over a year. For this past year, it has performed well. A few weeks ago, the power output from my radio dropped to well below what was needed to hit the repeaters in the area. A watt meter confirmed this, so I checked the SWR. It was well over 3:1. I took the antenna off its mount and there was water dripping out of it. I unscrewed the top part containing the foldover mechanism and it was wet inside. Upon further inspection, I noticed a lot of cracks in the black insulating material. I brought it into the house and set it on a hot plate on low and watched the water leak out these cracks. I cannot get all of the water out evidently as the SWR is still over 3:1. I took the base coil to Dayton and asked the rep about it and he said that parts were available. I don't think I should have to pay for parts that weren't abused (the antenna has NEVER hit an obstruction), so I read reviews for all of the popular antennas and bought the Larsen at Dayton. I'll NEVER buy another Diamond product.

KC8TFL Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2010 08:28 Send this review to a friend
great antenna but  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna for over 5 years no problems with antenna, just with trying to find a mount that will hold up to it. range is the best I've had. to those who have problems with the fold over try mounting the antenna angled slightly to the front of the car the wind will pull it up if the antenna is vertical or slightly toward the rear of the car but with it angled slightly forward I have had this antenna at speeds over 100 mph just don't ask me where... lol

KJ4EBE Rating: 3/5 Feb 25, 2010 13:21 Send this review to a friend
No that supergainer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, it is not a bad antenna. But my Comet SBB-25 outperform the Diamond SG7900 on 2 meter band. The Diamond SG7900 is useless for my since I can not reach my link from the same location where my Comet SBB-25 is able to do it.

VE3PLO Rating: 2/5 Jan 17, 2010 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Save your money !!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Worked, when worked. After about 4 months of owning it, the antenna separated at the black coil. The solder went kaput, and the glue at the coil cracked and separated. Not something i expected from the most expensive DUAL band mobile vhf/uhf antenna out there. Save your money, buy a Diamond S285M or M285S--- something like that. It is just a whip, is tunable to 2m. Comes with a chart etc.. and the best part!!! i paid 30$ for it at the store.
SG-7900 WAS A PURE DISSAPOINTMENT.

M6KIM Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2009 18:14 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Indeed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using my SG7900 daily for over a year now. I'm confused by some reviewers comments because mine:

Has never failed or snapped over even at regular speeds of 70MPH+.

Nothing has broken.

There has been no water ingress.

It consistently gives good performance on both 70CM and 2M with low SWR and good penetration and range over various terrain.

It's the best VHF mobile antenna I have ever owned and i've had a few.

KJ4EOZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2009 09:19 Send this review to a friend
VERY HAPPY WITH IT !!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have this Antenna on my wifes car its up very high in the air and It works great !! RX & TX I think this is the best antenna you can buy for 2 meters and 440 .
She runs it with a FT-7800R .
She has hit things with this antenna its a tank !
Maybe some of the guys on here are hitting things at 80mph . Or just have no luck with antennas . I have 6 Diamond antennas base and mobiles and all have been great !!
73s all / KJ4EOZ