Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Heathkit SB-101 Help

Reviews Summary for Heathkit SB-101
Heathkit SB-101 Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $369.00
Description: 10-80 tube classic ham transceiver

You can write your own review of the Heathkit SB-101.

KG6PHS Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2014 23:31 Send this review to a friend
great tube radio fun to use!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Heathkit SB-101 is one of the best all-around SSB ham radios made in the US by this venerable company. Made in the late 1960s, It looks beautiful with the matching green knobs and green and turquoise cabinet. It works very well on 80-10m with a calibrator, multi-function meter, simple yet elegant layout, and the sound is pleasing. It's lightweight, with it's aluminum cabinet and external power supply. It's extremely easy to align the radio with it's calibrator, and easy to repair with the circuit boards and tubes. This is a fine radio to learn about tube ham radios while you fix it, and it's enjoyable to use when you're done. Plus, if you turn off the lights, you get all those dots of light on your ceiling from the see-through cabinet!

N3HAM Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2010 16:16 Send this review to a friend
A Nice Old Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got this radio a few years ago and wasn't even sure it was going to work. After a clean-up it fired up and it has been a fun radio to run, especially when there is almost four feet of snow on the ground. I wasn't ham back in it's era, but wanted to be one, and yearned to know about radio and how to operate such a beast.I got my wish. I'm giving it a 5 as a nostalgia radio knowing it's not a Collins, but I didn't spend a fortune either.

KI4QAJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2009 20:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got mine used 4 years ago, picked up a power supply plugged them in and fired them up. Only problem that that I have had was the 30+ year old caps let go in the power supply changed them out and was good to go. This is my main rig, my back up rig is a SB401 HI HI.Gotta love glow in the dark radioing
73 all

KT9O Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2008 18:54 Send this review to a friend
A fine old tube-type !  Time owned: more than 12 months
One of the best of the tube-type HF transceivers from Heathkit. With the factory built LMO's, these radios can hang in there with the best of them. The receiver in my SB-101 is hot, the audio is classic broadcast quality with the tubes in the audio circuits, and operation is no-nonsense and straight forward. And they can be had at a very attractive price. What more could you want!

K2LGO Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2008 13:44 Send this review to a friend
FIRST GOOD HF RIG  Time owned: more than 12 months
I GOT PUT TOGETHER THE SB-101 IN 67-68, AND USED IT FOR 15 YEARS AND THOU8GHT IT WAS THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD...MAYBE IT WAS BECAUSE IT WAS MY FIRST SSB RIG, OR MAYBE IT WAS THAT IT WORKED GREAT, AND I WAS ACTUALLY ABLE TO OPEN THE HOOD AND FIX IT WHEN THE TIME CAME NECESSARY..AS SOMEONE POINTED OUT...THE POOR MAN'S COLLINS....A CLASSIC...

CX6AV Rating: 4/5 Jan 10, 2008 17:07 Send this review to a friend
Un tanque de Guerra!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Fue uno de mis primeros equipos,si se le agregaba un preamplificador de recepción Ameco y un buen micrófono como el MC-50,se convertía en una máquina de hacer DX notable, muy rustico, buena potencia de salida,me dió muchas satisfacciones,lo recomiendo siempre y cuando se le mejore la recepcion con la ayuda del preamp de RX...

VE7BGP Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2007 11:31 Send this review to a friend
My Youth Dreams  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This Spring I was given an oldie SB-101. I made up the 11 pin cable to hook up the HP-723 power supply. I reformed the electrolytics in the Power Supply and replaced the O'rings in the Preselector and Loading. Wow is all tube sound nice on receive and I get good TX audio reports. I'm rating it a 5 because after 38 or 40 years old the rig still works great. Like a Classic Mopar or Ford it's not a Daily driver but great to use when its CX Contest time or have the odd qso with. Long live the memory of Heathkit.

Gerry VE7BGP

G3VGR Rating: 4/5 May 27, 2005 10:17 Send this review to a friend
Fondly remembered  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built mine back in 1967, along with the SB610 'scope, HP23A/SB600 and it all made a really nice station. I used it as my main rig up until around 1980, worked plenty of DX on both modes and received many complimentary reports on the speech quality. I also had the 400Hz filter for CW. The rig was well-engineered, reliable and a joy to look at. It spent the next 20-odd years in the attic until, under pressure from the XYL, I had to get rid of it, so donated the complete station to a Heath collector about 2 years ago. I was very sad after parting with the rig and none of my commercial rigs have had the same emotional attachment of the SB101. Hopefully my new K2 will be it's logical successor

G3UEQ Rating: 4/5 May 26, 2004 09:28 Send this review to a friend
Still great rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just acquired my first SB-101 after lusting for one when I first got my ticket 38 years ago. After a clean up, replacing the usual caps and the perished O rings, fired up beautifully.Had to do slight alignement but otherwise rig works as new and still looks good even today. A credit to the Heath design boys..

Andy

W3DMB Rating: 4/5 Apr 18, 2003 20:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig - Then  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built a SB-101 (and all related SB series) in 1968 thru 1969. The SB-101 had excellent audio quality but I had to use a freq counter with it. In 1992 I used it at Field Day and I had to stop and tell about every fifth contact what type of rig I was using. They asked because they said the audio sounded so great. When I had it set up with the related SB gear it was an impressive station. My IC-765, IC-R7000 and other gear works better but doesn't attract the eye as much. It is still in the attic - someday I'll get it on again.