Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-757GX MK1 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-757GX MK1
Yaesu FT-757GX MK1 Reviews: 54 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $899.99
Description: Compact HF transceiver with 0.5/30 MHz receiver.
More info: http://www.foxtango.org

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-757GX MK1.

AD0NW Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2009 12:53 Send this review to a friend
Great old transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the old lady from the original owner who said it had been sitting in a box in his garage for about 6 years. When I received it the memory battery was dead (he told me it was) and the meter lamps were burned out. I replaced the lamps and the battery (not too difficult) and cleaned it up a bit and tried the old gal out.
Didn't take me long to find out that this old girl is one great old rig. She's sitting next to a Pro III, and believe whatever you want to, she hears better than the ProIII does.
No bells, no whistles, but a little playing with the RF gain, and the shift and width controls, and you can pull out the weakest ones!
Audio reports are great and folks cannot believe that I'm running a 757gx barefoot.
In 34 days that I've had it on the air I've worked 93 seperate countries including VK, ZL, ZK, etc from west Tennessee. All running barefoot. My antenna is a T-8 Log periodic.

KC8DHV Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2009 00:19 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME OLD RIG!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I just purchased mine from a friend of mine who's father in law just became a SK. When I first got it, I only had a 10 meter dipole since I had just upgraded to a General. Made several contacts with it on 10 meters with great reports. Took it over to a friends house and hooked it up to his antennas, and OMG does this rig talk! I only paid $300 for it, and let me tell you, the best 300 bucks that I have ever spent! I am still waiting for a good auto tuner to come up on ebay and a desk mic. I have to say that I am very impressed with this rig, and I love it! If your looking for an inexpensive rig that talks, I highly recommend! There is a switch behind the face plate, and when you flip it, if you can hear it you can talk to them! 10 meters to 160 meters including WARC. KILLER OLD RIG!

KL2TC Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2009 01:30 Send this review to a friend
Learning curve  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the first real radio I have ever owned. I have used a Hallicrafters receiver that belonged to my Aunt and Uncle and this takes me back to those magical times of my youth.

This is the best radio that I have ever operated and I love it. I don't have a lot of experience running these things, but this unit has earned my affection.

When I first got it through the mail, after several weeks of third class delivery, I didn't think that it worked. I was really disappointed. Then as I got to playing with it and reading the manual the receiver came alive. When transmitting with CW I put my Grundig over in the house. My wife was astounded at how my transmitter blew the Grundig out of the house!

Okay, I am a newbie. I built a bunch of Allied and Heathkit stuff during the sixties, lost interest and came back to the hobbie of my youth. Things have really changed! For the better I think. I am just now listening to a broadcast from Russia as I type. Pretty good fidelity from this old FT-757. I was sure that I would have to replace the lithium battery, but no, all is good.

KD4FUN Rating: 2/5 Apr 25, 2009 19:59 Send this review to a friend
Bad Luck  Time owned: more than 12 months
My second HF rig, fuse in recieve line went out radio became deaf, Yaesu used a mini grain of wheat bulb for a fuse. reciever performance was not good, had trouble with the digital display and frequency stability was poor.

KC9MEN Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2009 19:15 Send this review to a friend
Solid Older Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This Radio has not had the greatest reviews but I must say I think its an awesome radio as long as you know how to use the band width and shift controls. I have liked this one the best out of the ones I have owned. Better than ICOM IC-706, 730 & 735. Kenwood 120, 130 & 430. If you find one in good condition you can't beat it. Great starter rig. Very happy with it so far. Great audio from internal speaker. Good audio reports. Lots of functions without a lot of menus.

KF8HW Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2009 14:11 Send this review to a friend
A great rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my very first HF rig, purchased in 1984. Through the years it performed admirably and I never had any trouble with it. I got tons of unsolicited compliments on the audio.It was more sensitive in pulling in weak stations than my friend's Kenwood TS-430s when the preamp was turned on. The Kenwood dosen't have a preamp. Anyhow, I had to sell it to another friend in 1997 due to medical costs and he still has it. I think of that radio and wish I could play with it again. Hmmm... Maybe I'll try to talk him out of it........ Easy to use, built like a tank. 73's!

KB1RNX Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2009 08:05 Send this review to a friend
Don't pass this one up  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yeasu FT-757GX review I got this radio a while ago and so far it has lived up to my expectations. Good power with very good reports on the audio. I added a JCD-201M digital compression mic to the unit, with very good results. The combination of the compression from the mic and the audio processor of the radio the unit really punches the audio out without crunch, over modulation etc. Just very loud and crystal clear audio with a very good dynamic tone.

Let me side step a little, I got my first Ham ticket in 1974 (expired), then after many years got my ticket again. I have owned many, many radio over the years. I currently own about 28 of various makes models etc. Does this make me an expert NOPE. But I have a lot of experience with receive and transmit. Point being, I am pretty keen on receive and transmit features and have made mods/changes with some radios to improve these features.

About the receive. Some complain about the radio being noisy. Yes, it is but that is because it is sensitive. I have another radio that I did some work on the receive and basically that radio will hear a mouse burp in China and the FT-757 with the RF-AMP on will receive just as well with no more and no less noise. A couple things come to mind with respect with noise. One is a noisy antenna and/or RF on the feedline. I have two antennas for 10 meters and one is more noisy than the other. A simple choke by coiling the feedline 4 to 8 turns of a diameter about 6 inches can help. The second thing is misadjusted controls on the radio.

Let me take this time and explain a wonderful feature that the FT-757 has. The RF gain is tied into the squelch circuitry and it has a threshold. Let me explain how it works. If you turn the RF gain to a point that the needle is on S-5 (for example), an incoming singnal of S-5 or more is totally unaffected and you receive the full strength of the signal, any signal below S-5 will be cut back as a normal RF gain would do. Unlike the squelch that blanks below the threshold you can still hear the stations, but at a reduced level. GREAT feature!!!!. So you can set your RF gain to the floor of your noise and the stations over the noise level will be unaffected and you can still hear stations under your noise floor but with reduced signal (but a lot less noise). In fact you can pull stations out and have a clear copy with no noise. This feature alone is a great one but used with the width and shift really makes this radio pull out stations and eliminate noise and adjacent QRM. Some radios offer a width control only, some offer a shift control only, some offer neither and some offer both... the FT-757 has both. Learning how to use the RF gain, width and shift features makes this radio a joy to pull out those hard stations with no or little noise. It also has an adjustable (NB) noise blanker another great feature, and it also adjust the AGC (automatic gain control), by adjusting the time constant of the AGC circuit. It also is used to set the blanking threshold and blanking pulse width. Another great feature!!! Where as other radios offer only a preset noise blanker. So as you can see the FT-757 can be tailored in great detail to the incoming signal. Utilizing these features can give you many QSO's that normally would not exist. And in doing so can pull out many stations and have a quiet receive that normally would be non-existent or difficult with other radios or not enjoyable with the noise. So the bottom line is, this radio can be noisy because it is sensitive but if you make the proper adjustments it rivals the best. I also had an external DSP which offered nothing once the radio was adjusted, so don't get hung up on radios that offer DSP because with proper adjustments this radio doesn't need DSP.

Another comparison has been against the latest technology radios from Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu (expensive ones I might add). We live only a couple miles apart and my FT-757 will hear all the same stations that they can, and some I can get intelligence where as they just know that the station is there. Plus the audio reports is that the FT-757GX has a better quality sound and is louder given that we all give about the same signal strength to the other receiver. Bottom line is that, I can receive and transmit a tad better at less than 1/5 the price, that my friends paid for their radios. Again, it doesn't get any better than that to know that this older radio can keep up with the modern radios with all the beeps and whistles with built in DSP's etc.

Because of the sour reviews some have given these radios, it basically makes the FT-757 a hidden gem, meaning you can pick them up at bargain prices (this I like).

Buy one if you get the chance, learn how to run it, utilizing the RF-gain, SHIFT, WIDTH and NB, you will be delighted.

Just a side note, I have messed around transmitting on AM and the locals have told me to back it down because it is barking so loud. I have to set the mic gain no higher than 9:00 with the DRIVE set giving a dead key around 10 watts. The carrier setting on the back, I set by turning the DRIVE on the front wide open and adjusting the CARRIER setting on the back so that the dead key goes no higher than 20 watts. The manual says to set your radio for 25 watts to get full power but the facts are the lower the carrier insertion the power goes into the two SIDE-BANDS and drives the power up with a real punch. It is all about being heard and not how big a carrier signal is.

Ok now for the negatives. When I got the radio the fan was noisy and I thought the fan was bad and need to be oiled or fixed or replaced but I discovered a slight mis-alignment and after carefully bending the mounting bar the fan is whisper quiet now.

One last thing. This radio doesn't drift either. I hear some other radios (new ones) drift and some don't, so I know mine doesn't. And that makes me feel all warm inside HEHEHE. Oh and I have never ever had anyone report that my transmit had drifted. Again it doesn't get any better than this.

I want to thank all those who left negative reviews, I was able to buy this gem very cheap and glad I did.

So, how much did I pay for this? I am not going to say because you may mis a good radio trying to get one for the same cheap price. Let me state it this way, if you can get one for $400 or less throw the money at the guy grab the radio and run before he changes his mind. Let me also state this, an FT-450 is a really good radio and I passed up a really good deal on one (brand new in the box). And I will not trade my FT-757 for one.

MM0LBX Rating: 4/5 Jan 25, 2009 21:02 Send this review to a friend
Fine Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My first radio after getting my MM6, I've owned it now for 4 months and pleased with it.

Easy to use for the beginner like myself, my only problem with it is that she drifts a little after a few hours....goes crazy for 20 minutes then settles down again, I'm putting this down to her age, she's an old girl and I think this might be a common problem.

I've had good comments on the Audio which I must admit did surprise me and brought a smile to my face using the stock Mic only.

I can't really comment on anything else as I don't know any different really although I have recently bought a FT-890 but haven't had time to play with it yet, work commitments.

A little bit of tampering to screw her down to 10w but this can be done with a little patience as there is no RF Power so relying on the Mic Gain makes it that little bit trickier, using the drive while transmitting on CW also helped with the power issue.

I'll be keeping the 757 for my camping trips in the Summer, I wouldn't part with her, it's that special bond you have with your first Radio I think.

4/5 mainly because of the drifting other than that a lovely Rig.

DH4SC Rating: 4/5 Jan 25, 2009 16:15 Send this review to a friend
Good beginner rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first HF rig, easy to use, good features, good RX and TX, rugged design. Never had any problem, the FT-757 made me able to work my first 100 DXCCs. Good solid HF rig. Highly recommended for beginners or as back-up radio.

W4DNR Rating: 4/5 Aug 4, 2008 21:30 Send this review to a friend
Like a Timex  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just like the Timex watch commercials of the black and white TV era, this little radio just keeps on ticking and ticking. Weak receiver ? If you can hear 'em, you can work 'em.....

It goes camping with me and with a roll up 20 meter dipole works the world on PSK-31 at 50 watts.

I've had it for over 24 years and a 767 for over 20 years. I'm waiting for Yaesu/Motorola to solve some of the FT-2000D problems before I invest in the newer software driven radios.

Don WA4NPL