Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Yaesu FP-1030 A 25 amp power supply Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FP-1030 A 25 amp power supply
Yaesu FP-1030 A 25 amp power supply Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$250
Description: 25 amp power supply

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FP-1030 A 25 amp power supply.

KE4EX Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2015 13:20 Send this review to a friend
# 4 # $ 4 $ Grrreat  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the power supply for 12 years
NO issues what so ever.
Ran several HF rigs. Happy....

Con- and I am being picky
I wish the main 12V connection was on the back.

Otherwise Love it.

NR7N Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2013 11:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Power Supply - Nicely Built  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this to use with my FTDX-3000D. It is very quiet, well built and matches other Yaesu equipment. The pass transistors are actually mounted on a rectangular plenum with the fan mounted at one end (a high-end commercial practice). Component quality, layout and operation appear to be first rate.

My only gripe, albeit minor, was that the meters are not backlighted. I was able to easily solve that problem in about 15 minutes.

Upon removal of the top cover I saw that the volt and current meters are actually in one housing with a dual movement. There were several unused threaded posts that are adjacent to the meter. I chose the one to the right of the meter (when viewed from the back) and added a three post terminal strip mounted vertically. I used an extra japanese threaded sheet metal screw that I had from a previous repair job. I then mounted the strip with a flat washer beneath the strip mounting hole.

I had a 3.2V white LED and I soldered a 470-ohm 1/2W resistor to the anode lead of the LED and then put sleeveing on the other lead. I soldered the LED/resistor combo to the bottom holes of two of the terminal strip lugs and then bent the diode leads so it is pointing at the right side (from the back) meter edge. I then took some small red and black hookup wire and soldered ends to the terminal strip and the other ends to the + and - on the cigar lighter jack terminals. A few tie wraps and it was done. The lighting looks great and the meter scales are quite nice when lit. The scale markings are white/gray and red with yellow meter pointers.

No holes, no drilling and a minimum of effort and a great power supply is now wven better.

K6USN Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2013 07:47 Send this review to a friend
Solid and reliable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've tried all the switching power supplies, and most had noise issues of some sort. I still do use one with my K3 for portable work due to the light weight.

Yaesu has been making the FP1030 for more than a decade. It gets good reviews on e Ham. Thought I'd give it a try for the shack where weight is not so important.

It meets my expectations. I can't find any trace of birdies or hash, and the output is a rock solid
13.8 v. Looks good and the light gray color matches my radios.

My nit picks are minor:
-Lack of lighted meters
-Non-removable AC power cord.

I recommend this power supply. It should last a long time.

VE6FGN Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2012 16:57 Send this review to a friend
Owned 1 year  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned this power supply for one year now, and am very happy with the performance. No noise, either audible or RF. I use it to power an FT-857D at 100 watts, and a FT-2900R at 75 watts. NIL issues.
Please note that I'm a new HAM, and have little experience with other options.

Cheers- Garry
VE6FGN

N4OI Rating: 4/5 Oct 19, 2012 04:51 Send this review to a friend
10 Years -- Only One Issue  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this PS with my FT-920 when I got my ticket 10 years ago. A while back, I started getting intermittent resets on the 920 that would come and go - sometimes a month or more in between. When I got a Rigol digital scope, I started some real troubleshooting using the external trigger and memory. Well, of course I was looking for complex processor resets, etc. and had overlooked the simple possibility of dropouts in the supply voltage! With that, it did not take long for me to isolate a cold solder joint in the power supply. Ever since -- solid performance. At 22 amps key down, the voltage AT THE RIG only drops 500 mv, which is probably mostly across the fused cable! Electrical noise is minimal and the variable-speed fans are pretty quiet. I just leave the PS on all the time --- doing its job nicely. Oh, I would have given this a "5" except for the cold solder joint...

73 ES GOD BLESS U ES URS DE KEN N4OI :>)

STAYVERTICAL Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2010 05:36 Send this review to a friend
The gray hulk  Time owned: more than 12 months
After getting a 100 watt linear amp for my FT817ND, a good power supply was needed.
The FP1030A is a beast in size and weight, but it looks good and works great as well.

It just loafs along supplying 90 or 100 watts, and stays cool under extended operation.
It is also very quiet, RF wise, and a joy to use in weak signal conditions.

The assorted DC supply socket options on the front panel are also useful for powering multiple equipment types.
I concur with those who have commented on the lack of meter lights - that would have been a very useful feature.

I can't speak for others, but so far, this has been a purchase in which no buyers remorse has been experienced.
And if I ever give up ham radio, I have some equipment to begin a career in weight lifting!

NC7M Rating: 3/5 Feb 15, 2009 12:37 Send this review to a friend
Failed after 2 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I got the supply I was jazzed looks good, big meters and such, but after 2 seasons of contesting it started having problems. When you first turn it on the output voltage is good, but over time the supply starts chopping. Pulses between 13 and 8 vdc. FT 920 does not like it. Bought a Lambda and an Astron which have been in service several years now. Wanted the matching supply with my gear is the only reason I bought the 1030 unit.

2E0JPT Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2007 03:09 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
i love this power supply, looks good and never breaks in to a sweat, the only issue is that there are no meter lights.

solid 5/5

PY2UN Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2006 14:53 Send this review to a friend
Great PSU  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Got my FP1030A from AES a year ago. Very nice looking and finishing with the meters and yellow needles. The three way for conecting rigs is just perfect! I can power my YS-60, MFJ-434 and the HF without messing up all cables in one conection. Works fine, have been powering my Kenwood TS440 since out of the box. On 40 meters
it needs about 25 amperes to put out 180 Watts on LSB, and it supplies it without problems. The FAN works quietly, but I use phones while DXing and it is not noticible for me. I am considering now getting a second PSU and it surely will be another FP1030A!

KD7WXX Rating: 2/5 Jan 22, 2004 11:13 Send this review to a friend
Defective out of box  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This may be a good product, but I definitely got a bad sample. When I first powered it up it would only put out between 11 and 5 volts and varied between these readings over time. (This is a fixed output PS with no user control.) Would not take a load, and I never saw anything over about 11 volts, so I boxed it up and sent it back for a refund. Got a Daiwa SS-330W 30 amp switching unit instead. At first, leary about switching PS but now love it (Daiwa) Bigger capacity, variable output (under MY control!) much less expensive than Yaesu, and completely silent (electrically and mechanically.)