Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Icom SP-7 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom SP-7
Icom SP-7 Reviews: 9 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $94.99
Description: Small Base Station External Speaker
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the Icom SP-7.

GM0WNR Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2012 13:22 Send this review to a friend
Great little speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi all

I think this speaker deserves a better rep than it gets on here, I think it's great. I use mine with an IC-736 mostly on CW. I split the audio between this speaker and a small communication speaker by Sharman, and I find the combination of the 2 gives great audio. I also use it with the scaf-1 audio filter. I got mine for about 1/2 of the rrp new, so I'm not complaining. For me its a keeper.

Alex
GM0WNR

VE7REN Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2012 08:15 Send this review to a friend
still stays here  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have compared this speaker to many...bose,audio accoustics,klipsh,centrios,etc. and this little thing still stays here in the shack. i like the sound,being that its not bassy . i can here really good with it. it is way overpriced new,but used its a bargain..... shame it gets all the neg reviews,and there were many reviews deleted here for some reason in 05 and 04.

WB4TJH Rating: 4/5 Apr 25, 2011 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Way overpriced if you buy new.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought a mint one in the box for ten bucks at a hamfest, and it's a nice little speaker for ten bucks, But at list price,it's VERY much over priced.It does a good job with my IC-7000 on the desk.

KB4LGM Rating: 0/5 Apr 7, 2011 14:53 Send this review to a friend
Not that great !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had been looking for one of these forever to match my IC-735. This is a terrible sounding speaker. To say I was disappointed was an understatement. It made the 735 sound like a cheap AM radio. Thats the best I can describe it. Get the SP-3 if you can find one. That is a REAL speaker.

VE7REN Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2010 06:22 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
i see my 2005 review has been deleted, but i have aquired another sp7 and i must say,that these are truly a nice sounding speaker. doesnt have alot of bass or lows,but sure helps pull the weak signals out,and is much much better then the stock in radio speakers.

iif you see one for sale for a good price, buy it and put it to use.

brent

SM3WEO Rating: 1/5 Jan 18, 2004 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Piece of junk...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Please Icom...Why????
I guess the otherwise exelent guys at Icom had a temporary hit of insanity when they dreamd up this crappy speaker.
Well, it does produce sound, that's for sure, but it just makes you sad to listen to.
If you need an external speaker for your $$$ tranceiver, for god sake, don't buy this one.
it's a piece of junk.
I gave my SP-7 away for free.

WR2W Rating: 1/5 Jul 14, 2003 18:21 Send this review to a friend
Cost Not Proportionate To ANY Icom Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used one of these SP-7 speakers when I bought my IC-707. It was somewhat cheaper then but Not cost proportionate to the price of the 707. As far as sound I did not notice excessive bass as the last reviewer, but it did sound Very Hollow with No Depth. They may have used a different speaker then. Let's face it, they charge Way Toooo Much for "Matching" speakers, and you can buy an external speaker for Alot Less that will work good, and be a Good Match for Any transceiver. I personally like the AES PCL-1 which has Full magnetic shielding, and sounds very good with Depth, and costs only $20......

G4OFV Rating: 2/5 Jul 14, 2003 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Very very disappointed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well what can I say but very very disappointed with this speaker, looks like the dogs parts but absolute useless for CW or SSB reception far too much base and no top at all for my likening.

Even when using on AM broadcast stations far too much base.

10 out of 10 for looks but 2 out of 10 for sound.

Being driven by 756pro2 as for recommended SP-21 even worse for muffled sound.

Try before buying.

KC5AEM Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2003 20:46 Send this review to a friend
Nice basic speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only owned this speaker for about a week and I am happy with it. I mainly bought it to match my R7100(there's just something about having a matching setup). I guess that's why these items are so overpriced in some people's opinion. I got it from Ham Radio Outlet for $62.95 on their used list. But when I received it it was still new in box. It helps me hear the radio a little better because it is front facing. But the internal speaker on the R7100 is not bad considering. I would like to try an SP-3 to compare the sound. Overall my experience so far is good with the SP-7. I probably wouldn't have purchased at $94.99 though. I would like to hear other people's opinion on this speaker. Good listening and DX to everybody, Ted KC5AEM