Reviews Categories | Ham Work Bench Tools & Test Equipment | Radio Shack Soldering Stations Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack Soldering Stations
Radio Shack Soldering Stations Reviews: 13 Average rating: 2.6/5 MSRP: $69.99
Description: Catalog # 64-2185
More info: http://www.radioshack.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack Soldering Stations.

K6JM Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2010 17:04 Send this review to a friend
Reliable and good value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the RS # 64-2185 soldering station on sale for $35 as they were phasing it out. It's been very reliable and does the job for both through the hole and surface mount kit building. I ran through the original tip pretty fast, but Sears sells replacement tips (#9-54023) that fit this iron. The build quality seems to be adequate or better. If you have one, get some new tips from Sears and use it.

K8CPA Rating: 4/5 May 13, 2010 17:16 Send this review to a friend
Works good, if you know how to run it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one of these. The trick is, especially when soldering PL-249's, is run the temp up to max, which is 840 degrees. Now, whether it gets that hot really or not, is another story. But my PL-259's went on to that Belden 8214 just fine.

Honestly, what the hell do you all want for that cheap?

It works good. If you want Weller quality, spend the bucks! Otherwise, shut up and get the thing and save your cash for real things, like paying bills and supporting your family. QSL?

-Chuck K8CPA

KB1IKD Rating: 2/5 Feb 16, 2006 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Do Not Store in Unheated Location  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the RS Soldering station to assemble optional feature boards that I purchased for an Elecraft K2 previously bought used on e-Bay. It worked well enough in my inexperianced hands for the first project during the Summer, but was then stored in an unheated shed over the winter. When I attempted to use it after the Winter for the next project, the LED display flashed segments in a non-sense pattern and the iron did not heat. I tried to reset it but it is now completely dead with no display and no heat. The warranty period is over.

de KB1IKD

KB3LSR Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2006 06:27 Send this review to a friend
Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I know there is a lot of resentment for RS products, but I've had one of the 20/40W soldering stations for about 10 years. The heating element still works, power switch still functions, how could I rate it lower? I used it as a start in my electronics hobby (well before I was a HAM). I purchased another to keep at work and for light usage, I think they are great. Weller is better, but since mine hasn't broke yet (in over 10 years), I can't rate it lower than a 5.

W2RBA Rating: 1/5 Feb 20, 2004 21:07 Send this review to a friend
Ugh.  Time owned: more than 12 months
For many years I used this RS stuff, which can best the described as essentially junk. Well, some years ago I decided to upgrade (well, it should have been an upgrade, but never mind) to the Tech America soldering station. It worked okay, but after about a year and a half the LCD temperature readout started to lose digits on the upper half the LCD. And all the other problems mentioned about this "station" are true. It's basically junk. I finally did the smart thing and got a Weller WTCPT and have been very, very happy with it. Do yourself a favor and avoid Radio Shack at all costs!

KG9HV Rating: 0/5 Feb 23, 2003 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Typical Rat Shack  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have one of their soldering stations and it is
a piece of junk. (it was a gift, NO I didn't buy
it) I will not even walk into a Radio Shack let
alone buy something there. Radio Shack is nothing
more than a phone store which peddles junk to
the unsuspecting public.. Buy a good quality soldering station and leave that RS junk alone.

VE7VIE Rating: 4/5 Sep 27, 2002 19:45 Send this review to a friend
OK for price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used one of these to build almost all of my Elecraft K2. I had no problems. I got it on sale as well and that makes it an excellent deal. The very few places where it was unwieldy (i.e. the SSB board), I used a REALLY cleap dual-power (15-30?) RS pencil which was fine.

I have no doubt that Weller is better (I stall have my gun from 30 years ago). But for about $75, this one does the job.

KD7IGX/VE7VIE

1OHM Rating: 3/5 Sep 28, 2001 00:23 Send this review to a friend
okey for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
rs stuff is okey if you keep in mind the level of quality control that is needed to do a project or the quality control in the project. i have the soldering station mentioned , it is okey but it is not a weller.

KD6NXI Rating: 4/5 Sep 15, 2000 21:07 Send this review to a friend
$19.99 Solder Station is a good buy.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a weller wcpt or whatever the model is and it's "ok" but you can't vary the temperature except to buy expensive tips, plus the spongy holder is a seperate flimsily attached part that always pushes away from you when you want to use it. So,, I went down to RS looking for another part actually for something else and see the 20 dollar DUAL temp radio shack station. I bought it and am quite happy with it. The positions are 20 watt and 40 watt, perfect for a little kit I wanted to build. I plan to use the nice 20 watt setting for the printed circuit board. Only thing's it lacks is a perhaps a heat proof cord to the iron grip itself and maybe a solder trap under the spring. Overall I think it's a good value for the money.

Dan

W5FSA Rating: 4/5 Mar 2, 2000 10:21 Send this review to a friend
WTCPC/ WTCPK  Time owned: unknown months
TO BE FAIR, THERE ANY NUMBER OF ITEMS THAT WILL SUFFICE A HAM FROM THE SHACK. THAT SAID, I WHOLLY AGREE THAT THE SOLDER STATION IS
SUB-STANDARD AT BEST.
IF YOU CAN WAIT AND THERE IS A HAMFEST CLOSE BY TO YOUR QTH.
THEN LOOK FOR A USED WELLER WTCPC, I PICKED UP 2 USED UNITS AT THE
ORLANDO HAMCATION WITH SPARE TIPS AND BARRELS FOR $35.00.
BOTH WORK FINE.
ANOTHER OPTION IS THE WTCPK FROM FAIR RADIO SALES
(WWW.FAIRRADIO.COM) THIS UNIT IS AN UNUSED MILITARY SOLDER DESOLDER STATION. 700 DEGREE WAND WITH A MYRIAD OF TIPS AND DESOLDER BULB
AT $69.50 IT IS A BARGAIN.
I HAVE BOTH THE WTCPC & CPK. EITHER WAY YOU CHOOSE THEY ARE
BUILT LIKE VOLVO'S AND WILL LAST.