Reviews Categories | Books/Manuals/Videos/PodCasts on ham radio | FM101x By AC6V - A Beginners Guide To Using FM Repeaters Help

Reviews Summary for FM101x By AC6V - A Beginners Guide To Using FM Repeaters
FM101x By AC6V - A Beginners Guide To Using FM Repeaters Reviews: 11 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $12.95
Description: For the new Ham entering the world of FM repeaters and VHF/UHF. Selecting your first rig, Repeater Operations, Finding and Using Repeaters, Antennas, Installation, Power Sources and Batteries, Protocol, Q-Signals, Jargon revealed - 16 page Glossary. PL, Beeps, Timers, Offset, Hang Time, DCS, DTCS |TONE BURST | DTMF etc. Desense, Capturing, Path Noise, Quieting, How FM works.
More info: http://ac6v.com/FM101.htm

You can write your own review of the FM101x By AC6V - A Beginners Guide To Using FM Repeaters.

WD5EAE Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2008 21:25 Send this review to a friend
Well written  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a great "how to" and reference on all aspects of using repeaters. It is complete in its scope. It is well written and gives someone new to repeaters a knowledge of

1) "how it works",
2) "how to do it" and, importantly,
3) the nuances of locale differences.

The book is inexpensive, a super deal in my opinion. I highly recommend it.

K5KKX Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2007 07:52 Send this review to a friend
Instant Expertise  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently got back into ham radio after about a 30 year hiatus. Although fairly familar with HF and chasing DX, I was a bit clueless with operating on the VHF/UHF bands, and using FM repeaters.

This book is a straight foward, thorough, easy to read guide about operational procedures on VHF/UHF, how repeaters work, choosing equipment, selecting the right antenna, propagation, and just about everything you want to know about these bands in one compact, simple handbook.

If you don't want to learn the "hard way", but want get up to speed quickly; then get this book!

KI6MUL Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2007 10:13 Send this review to a friend
Well worthwhile to buy.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This book is well worthwhile to buy. Price is reasonable.
I would suggest buying the book, if possible, before you take your exam and buy equipment. The reason is that the author helps to explain what the 2 meter FM band is all about, and the equipment issues.
This book gives a review of the HT handheld units vs. the larger portable 2 meter rigs, which sell for approximately the same price. With the larger units, you need to supply the power in the car and/or at the base. The book covers many of the issues in making that choice, power supplies, antennas, operating procedures, and a good deal of reference material. I consider this book to be an excellent supplement to the ARRL Licensing book for the Technician license.
There is more involved in getting started in 2 meters than the new ham may realize, so this book will provide much of the information you will need and not readily available in other places.
I would recommend buying both the ARRL licensing guide and this book, at the outset.

KC4JB Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2007 10:35 Send this review to a friend
Good job, AC6V !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been out of amateur radio for a while and needed a good refresher course. I got two: one was the online FCC Extra Class exam question pool (answers online, too), and the other was Rod's book.
Good work.

N1KSN Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2005 07:52 Send this review to a friend
Nice book on using repeaters  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice compilation of information for a ham just getting onto FM repeaters. Takes a nice even-keeled approach to repeater procedures and manners and has good technical information.

N6MD Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2005 21:58 Send this review to a friend
Read this book!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If you want to understand FM repeaters, get a copy of this book.You won't find anything more complete. If you're a new ham, you should read it. If you're an old ham, you will learn things you didn't know. If you're not yet a ham, read it and you'll probably get your license sooner.

KC6TRW Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2004 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Great book Rod ! Easy reading and good for the beginner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Most folks at the Aircraft factory are now asking for this book so they can conteract being mic shy.
Good work Rod!
Denis Despins
KC6TRW

NE5EE Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2004 16:20 Send this review to a friend
A terrific fast start  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A new Tech enters the hobby with an HT and little else. This is the place to pick up the rest of what he or she needs to know.

I do a lot of coaching and I will be recommending this book from now on. Two years of experience packed into one weekend of easy, pleasurable reading.

KF6HBJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2004 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Book clearly written to be read and used.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
"I purchased the FM101x Guide last week and have gone through the material relating to my HT. Basically I purchased it to bring me up to date as I had dropped off from using my radio quite awhile ago. Being a computer guy, I found the material easy to follow and found the essentials pointing me to further readings on web links for increased knowledge and detail. From the first page to the last page, I never felt slighted because I wasn't a seasoned Ham Radio Operator. Rod's vernacular clearly expresses what I needed to get accustomed to without the academia sort of information that I have read in other technical types of volumes. Thanks Rod! 73 Dave - KF6HBJ"

K6SUU Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2004 20:39 Send this review to a friend
excellent book!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently taught a one day ham class for new technician hams. I purchased a copy of the FM101X book for each student. All the students had many compliments for the contents of the books. One comment "including the book in the course was a very good idea" Another comment"FM101X answered all my questions about repeater operation as a new ham-great book"

For new hams this is the book!

Dick Decker K6SUU