Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Echolink Help

Reviews Summary for Echolink
Echolink Reviews: 70 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $Free
Description: Software enabling a link between a radio or repeater to the internet for a licensed radio amateur.

NOTE: These should be reviews for the EchoLink software package - not the mode.

More info: http://www.echolink.org

You can write your own review of the Echolink.

VU3BRE Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2014 04:15 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Software  Time owned: more than 12 months
This software is very handy to connect with other HAM's. I use this with repeaters, and works great. The hard part lies with configuring the router settings for UDP ports. I am using it for more than one and half year now and this is my major communication mode while travelling. The apps for android and ios makes it much more interesting.

G3SEA Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2013 19:43 Send this review to a friend
Proven System  Time owned: more than 12 months
Despite the naysayers both Echolink & IRLP Systems are still here and have grown for the many and obvious reasons.

On the non RF side I have used it on Win 98,XP, Win 7 and Apple OS.

Mahalo to Jonathan Taylor K1RFD for his innovative system.

KH6/G3SEA

KD7RDZI2 Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2013 15:48 Send this review to a friend
Great with Linux  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second review. This piece of software was written for Windows but was impossible to use it on a Windows machine... so my rating was a big zero... problems with ports? with the firewall? who knows? After a couple of years the big change! I scrapped Windows! And moved to Linux, a new world! A totally different world! Using the Wine (Windows) emulator the program runs fast with NO ISSUE AT ALL!

W0IT Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2011 05:41 Send this review to a friend
Comparisons, ease of use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using Echolink® and IRLP® since just after the SE Tsunami. I use them on a local Echo-IRLP® equipped repeater. I also use them on my Echo-IRLP® node, and use Echolink® as a user using a proxy server on my home computer. People who are unable to get their Echolink® setups to work should use http://PortForward.com for information and try using a proxy server. It has never let me down.
IRLP® is great but in some parts of the world the cost of the board makes it much less attractive than echolink® and those who insist on only communicating via radio links are missing the fact people are the real key to ham radio, not RF.
I speak Thai and communicate with Thai Hams every day via echolink®. Most are poor and have licenses without any HF privileges. Because of Echolink® I am now fluent. I lost count after my first 300 Thai hams I have talked with.
For those who want a stabile low maintenance node I would suggest trying echo-irlp® which runs on a linux box and requires an IRLP® card.
Even with the compressed audio quality of echolink®, Thai nodes often do no have the bandwidth necessary to keep the audio packets coming in an uninterrupted fashion. This becomes critical in disasters. I prefer talking with my brother via IRLP® because of better quality audio, but I also like being able to talk with Thai Hams.
I am indebted to the writers and supporters of IRLP®, Echolink®, and EchoIRLP® for their gracious donation of their technical expertise and time.

WZ3O Rating: 4/5 Mar 10, 2011 17:31 Send this review to a friend
Have used it, nice but ..  Time owned: more than 12 months
Decent software, no setup issues. It is what it is, a software package used to interface with RF occasionally. Use it infrequently, but serves a purpose.

N6LYJ Rating: 0/5 Mar 10, 2011 14:18 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
All the help in the world cannot seem to make this "monster" work. I erased the program from both of my computers.

NA4I Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2011 02:23 Send this review to a friend
It works like a charm...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Echolink is a wonderful resource and the programmers should be commended.

BTW, for those with a DSL modem and a router, you need to set the DSL modem in bridge mode. You will not get through both with Echolink. The settings in the DSL modem for login and so forth must be entered correctly into the router once the DSL modem is in bridge mode. It's a multi-step process, but not that difficult. Talk to tech support at your ISP or a computer geek friend. It's not a problem with Echolink.

SWL377 Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2011 14:39 Send this review to a friend
iPhone app is GREAT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
So easy to use. Good audio too. Very useful and a real credit to those who did the iPhone app programming and user interface. 101% satisfied.

KJ4DGE Rating: 4/5 Feb 8, 2011 09:37 Send this review to a friend
Does work  Time owned: more than 12 months
It works for me with a DSL modem and a D-link router. Make sure you forward ports to both.

NQ0B Rating: 1/5 Feb 6, 2011 17:21 Send this review to a friend
Portforwarding not worth effort  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have tried to get through the portforwarding ordeal time and again, using all the helps possible, as well as calling my DSL techs. I have tried my XP desktop as well as my Vista laptop with the same results. Nothing has worked, so guess I will give up. I have several friends who successfully use it and would like to have contact with them, but it's not worth it for me.