Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Echolink Help

Reviews Summary for Echolink
Echolink Reviews: 70 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $Free
Description: Software enabling a link between a radio or repeater to the internet for a licensed radio amateur.

NOTE: These should be reviews for the EchoLink software package - not the mode.

More info: http://www.echolink.org

You can write your own review of the Echolink.

WA1SEO Rating: 1/5 Feb 6, 2011 15:12 Send this review to a friend
PITA...not great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this program to run on an XP Home Edition box with a lot of effort. I haven't been able to get it going on either of my XP pro boxes.

It seems to me that there could be a program that does everything that Echolink needs to be done to run but until this happens, it's not a very friendly resource.

The interesting thing is that those who like it seem to be UNABLE to help others with a different setup that need help.

VK2KIT Rating: 2/5 Jan 2, 2011 01:10 Send this review to a friend
Ancient Software  Time owned: more than 12 months
Echolink is now ancient software and it's limitations are really starting to tell.
The software does not appear to be supported by the original authors any longer and hasn't been updated since 2007 and even then it was for 'minor bug fixes'. The program itself hasn't really changed much since 2002, when it was first released.

While it works in a fashion, the program is a pain to use on some routers/modems due to various port forwarding issues. The now unnecessarily high audio compression means audio quality is awful on most RF to RF links. This is understandable since this software was written in a time where access to broadband internet was simply a pipe dream for the vast majority of people.

Basically, this program is in desperate need of a makeover. It needs revised audio codecs that can take advantage of higher bit-rates, while still being backwards compatible with the original codec/bit-rate for those poor, unfortunate souls who are still restricted to 16k dial-up speeds.
In this day and age of high quality IP based voice systems like Skype and others, the audio quality coming out of most Echolink systems/stations is embarrassing.

K8OCN Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2010 18:38 Send this review to a friend
I use it alot  Time owned: more than 12 months
I started using Echolink to use my rig from my cabin. Its nice to talk with the gang on our local 2 meter simplex from the cabin.

I signed up for one of those wireless high speed internet modems that work through the cell phone system. It works great but I am not at the cabin enough to even use half of my monthly allowance so I have started using it on long trips. I drive alot for work.

I wish they would add the ability to use a vox on the computer end. I hate having to take my eyes off the road just to key and unkey the thing.

The setup with a router is a bit of a pain the first time but it works great, costs nothing what can you expect?

Delbert McCord
KA8OCN

KJ4IDH Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2010 16:02 Send this review to a friend
Great addition  Time owned: more than 12 months
Echolink is a great addition to any hamshack or repeater. Simple to use and setup. Reading below there are always common causes for issues, mostly inexperience on the users part or a problem with their ISP. I have ran Echolink as a PC user and as a Sysop on a repeater with little too no problem. Contrary to the “NOT REAL RADIO” crowd that really don’t know what they are talking about, Echolink can be used from a PC or radio. A great many of our clubs snowbirds talk on our Florida repeater from Echolink enabled repeaters back up north.

WA2B Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2009 05:42 Send this review to a friend
WHY THE HECK NOT?  Time owned: more than 12 months
Echolink has a very large audience of participants from around the world. It is a free program and extremely easy to install and begin using. Echolink is very helpful in resolving any computer issues with tips and hints.

Echolink is fun to use as a learning tool for children that can hear the clarity of the many different types of accents from around the world. Also, my children have enjoyed listening to the colorful stories that are exchanged.

Even if use Echolink only several times a month it is well worth having installed on your computer. I recall chating with a ham from Alaska and he mentioned that he enjoyed morse code. We then turned on our HF rigs and found each other on 20 meters.

This program is a "no brainer" and is not a replacement for traditonal ham radio communication. However, it is certainly an enjoyable mode of meeting other hams without any QRM.

KI4UCO Rating: 4/5 Apr 13, 2009 18:35 Send this review to a friend
Works pretty good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using Echolink almost as long as I've been a Ham. It was a bit cumbersome to set up and it does help to know your way around the settings of your router if you are using one. The help section is fairly useful. The only thing I would like to see different would be to have the frequencies listed on the repeater links. It would also be nice to have a directory that you could search by state or country. Wish I could give it a 4.5.

K3LUE Rating: 1/5 Mar 29, 2009 08:04 Send this review to a friend
No joy with setup  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I seem to have the same trouble as others with setup. Using Vista, Embarq DSL and the 660 series router. I spent hours trying to port forward etc. I checked and googled and followed more tips than I could count No luck. I have run networks and set up firewalls for credit card POS systems with much less trouble. Needless to say, I gave up. May look into it in the future but for the present, it's way on the back burner. It looks like a good concept and that's why I did not rate it a "0" and would love to re-rate this product if it works.

N1IG Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2009 05:54 Send this review to a friend
still a great product  Time owned: more than 12 months
i've been using echolink for several years and still enjoy using it every once in awhile. i cant really comment too much on setting up it as a /L or /R because my experience there is very limited, and i think the issues I experienced were from trying to use the wrong kind of interface. However, for being able to connect to links and repeaters near home when i am traveling is wonderful. it's also nice every once in awhile to connect to repeaters in other countries and just chat without all of the qsb. read the review below me for issues about port forwarding if you are having any problems. all in all, a fantastic product!

KD5YBE Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2009 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used Echolink for about 3 years now. It works great.

Ok for all of you that cant figure out the port forwarding here is a site to make it esay for you.

WA0DTH Rating: 0/5 Jan 15, 2009 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Old software needing an update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Echolink was easy to install and use with the dial up modem and Windows 98. But that was back then.
But when using Windows xp professional and Embarq DSL with there EQ 660 modem, Ive wasted almost 6 hours trying to get it to work and no success. Too many hidden setup secrets not covered by the Echolink site.
I would say my experience with echolink and DSL was a bad one.