Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Echolink Help

Reviews Summary for Echolink
Echolink Reviews: 70 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $Free
Description: Software enabling a link between a radio or repeater to the internet for a licensed radio amateur.

NOTE: These should be reviews for the EchoLink software package - not the mode.

More info: http://www.echolink.org

You can write your own review of the Echolink.

N6JSX Rating: 4/5 Jan 10, 2009 11:26 Send this review to a friend
Nice to connect to distant repeaters  Time owned: more than 12 months
Echolink is more or less the First of its type VoIP. It allows me to get into repeaters anywhere in the world via my PC.

As a past OOC, a problem that I've seen is the potential for illegal interference use on a repeater. This is due to repeater owners improperly giving audio priority to Echolink that cuts-off ongoing repeater QSO's.

Another issue is the darn Echolink connection announcement at the repeater cutting-off ongoing QSO's, they need to do a "listen then TX" method.

Active (quick key) discussions that are in progress on repeaters that have "long squelch tails" kills Echolink users from participating! Again, this is all due to ignorant repeater owners not Echolink. Repeater owners need to setup an Echolink connection mode that changes tails to <200mSeconds. When Echolink link is dropped the repeater defaults to a normal 3-5 second tail.

The biggest complaint I hear with Echolink is PC setup. Often this is due to ignorant HAM/PC users not knowing how to get through a firewall or setup their router ports-to-the-PC-IP address - requires network/router knowledge. My frustration is my router only allows me to send Echolink ports to "one" IP address - a router limitation. I'd like to be able to Echo from various PC's wireless/Ethernet in my home beyond my Ethernet shack PC. Again, not an Echolink issue!!!

Since it is FREE - it's a keeper, though my usage is maybe once a month. Rather do real radio but like to talk to some of the old friends in CA from OH/IN/WI.

G3SEA Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2009 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Free & Effective  Time owned: more than 12 months

Ironically it works fine on plain old Dial Up ;)

There are a gazillion RF repeaters & RF Links to natter on World Wide.

KH6/G3SEA

N9DO Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2009 12:25 Send this review to a friend
So easy even I can do it  Time owned: more than 12 months
Westell 6100 configuration for Port Forwarding and Static NAT (I have Verizon DSL and this has been the only settings I found that will work for me) Good Luck.

1.Log onto your modem by typing 192.168.1.1 into your address bar.
The default username and password are:
admin
password

If the login is still the default you will have to change the password since you have never logged into it before. (It won’t let you continue until you do)
2.Move your mouse over the “Configuration” menu and click “Service Configuration.”
3.Click “New”
4.Select “A New Service Profile #1” from the “Current Profile” drop-down menu.
5.Click “Static NAT” and then click “Enable” in the popup window.
6.Click “Define custom Service”
7.Make sure “Port Forwarding” is selected and click “Next”
8.Set the “Global Port Range” to 6346-6346 and “Base Host Port” to 6346 and select “TCP” then click “Next”
9.Click “Add”
10.Set the “Global Port Range to 6346-6346 and “Base Host Port” to 6346 and select “UDP” then click “Next”
11.Click “Close”
12.From the “Service Name” drop-down menu go the whole way to the bottom and select the service you just created which is named “*My New Service” by default and click “Enable”
To check your setting disable your firewall and run the connection test at http://fission-datasoft.co.nr/ctest/

If it works then you know you did it right. All there is now is to configure your firewall ….(Most of the time you just have to set the internet zone to “Medium”)

W3TUA Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2009 11:34 Send this review to a friend
So Easy A Caveman Can Use It  Time owned: more than 12 months
This software is simple to use and set up. Just read the instructions and have a knowledge of your own home network. I've installed dozens of user and RF links and never had a problem. The use of unique TCP/IP and UDP ports is a matter of overall system security.

The best part of this software is the price-FREE! It helps me keep in touch with old ham friends from different states while using my HT from the car. Some hams use it as a repeater linking system. I appreciate the work that has been put into this program.

N8FXH Rating: 4/5 Jan 7, 2009 07:38 Send this review to a friend
Finally  Time owned: more than 12 months
After two years of being unable to use it because my local verizon was using the second port for who knows what, I was able to set it up although my action tech modem's screen was nothing like what was shown on the webpage recommended by Echolink. That cost me an extra hour figuring out where changing the port settings was hidden. IT works well but few people and places I want to talk to are on regularly so although fun, lack of use hurts its potential.

K2BFY Rating: 0/5 Jan 6, 2009 17:05 Send this review to a friend
A Big Zero  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wasted 4 hours trying to get it setup and it failed. I signed up for google talk and installed it in 5 minutes so I can now talk on the internet with google talk. So why is ham radio software so difficult to set up?

N7BUI Rating: 3/5 Nov 11, 2008 19:49 Send this review to a friend
Time to fix the software to allow for normal router setups  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really want to use this program and I think that it has possibilities. But the complete pain in the rear of having to go into a router to set up "port forwarding" isn't worth it. I tried this a couple of years ago and assumed that this would have been resolved by now. Nope. All other software that I have on my computer (several VOIP applications etc) have no problem with the configuration of the router. On dial up it's quite fun, but really needs to have the setup simplified. I removed it after discovering that it still has the same issues it had before.

DL7ISA Rating: 3/5 Sep 8, 2008 01:29 Send this review to a friend
Possibilitys  Time owned: more than 12 months
Echolink does not replace a Transceiver (for me) but there are some Lowband Receivers available from different Areas on this Planet and once in a while I like to conect them to hear what is going on thousands of miles far away from me. The most diffiuclt about this Software can be to get it work with those Port Settings, Firewall Setting etc. but once those Settings are made correctly, there is no Problem with them anymore. What I find a bit odd is that sometimes in a Conference the Number of conected Stations is bigger than the Stations wich are indeed shown by their Callsign in the Conference. What I didnt rate here is the visible appearance but I wish there were some different Skins available to customize the look of my Echolink.

73 to all Friends

G3SEA Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2008 14:50 Send this review to a friend
Good Backup System  Time owned: more than 12 months

It does have it's porting problems if used through a WiFi network but otherwise is a nice software package enabling 24/7 access to distant repeaters when HF condx are poor.

KH6/G3SEA

NT9M Rating: 4/5 Aug 6, 2008 13:49 Send this review to a friend
Useful and free  Time owned: more than 12 months
I understand the frustration that others have faced with the software. Most of us have been there. I've learned quite a bit about computers because of Echolink and other ham applications that required me to do more than just click an icon and go. Can the learning curve be maddening ? Yes. But ham radio requires me to learn things I didn't know before, and computers are no different. That being said, I consider Echolink very useful. It allows me to pick up my HT or my mobile's mic within 15-20 miles of home, punch in some numbers and bring up a repeater in my hometown so I can talk to family members on their repeater. Once you work out the port forwarding issues, it really does work well and sound great. And on top of that, it's FREE. Hard for me to complain about that.