Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Echolink Help

Reviews Summary for Echolink
Echolink Reviews: 69 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $Free
Description: Software enabling a link between a radio or repeater to the internet for a licensed radio amateur.

NOTE: These should be reviews for the EchoLink software package - not the mode.

More info: http://www.echolink.org

You can write your own review of the Echolink.

W9JCM Rating: 1/5 Aug 5, 2008 17:28 Send this review to a friend
forget it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used to use this program with dial up but as soon as I switched to high speed it sucked. I had to do the whole port forward deal and its just a pain. I will stick to EQSO for this sort of thing. And I do believe that there are lots of little "groups" whom are not to friendly anymore when you drop in on there system. Fix the port issues I will come back. To bad nice system from back in the I Link days.

N8FXH Rating: 1/5 Jul 9, 2008 07:31 Send this review to a friend
Router Blocks it  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used it with varying results when on dial up but once on Verizon DSL the router will not accept use of 5599 port. None of my ham friends on Verizon DSL in my area can open this port. It seems Verizon uses it for something. I have been unable to get this port forwarded to one my router will accept. The program needs a new version that addresses these problems.

KT4WO Rating: 2/5 Jul 7, 2008 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Works ..But  Time owned: more than 12 months
I didnt have the "Lock-Up's" that some have had...If they would just find a way to make the "Port" issue go away it would be great.
and YES..I know how to forward ports and it worked fine..but...most guys out there are not gona fool around with port forwarding to make the software work. Change that and its a 5/5 for me.

KT4WO

KA8OCN Rating: 2/5 Jul 7, 2008 17:56 Send this review to a friend
Can't use it anymore  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used to use it when I had a dial up but when I went to high speed internet is did not work anymore. I did try and get it working but if simply became more problems than it was worth.

Its free so how can I complain, hopefully someone that is smarter than I (Thats a Big Group) can someday figure it out and make it work as easy on cable with routers as it did with dialups.

73 Del KA8OCN

G3SEA Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2008 16:32 Send this review to a friend
Software Hassle Free  Time owned: more than 12 months

I have used the software on and off since 2003 and had no problem nattering on Worldwide RF Repeaters.

For non Ham Friends and Family I use Skype.

KH6/G3SEA

KB3Z Rating: 3/5 Dec 2, 2007 03:51 Send this review to a friend
Installation can be a challenge  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Downloading the software is easy and installing it isn't too bad. But if you are using a wireless router look out. It will tell you that it can't find udp 5198 or 5199. It will lead you to believe that it is your firewall. Don't believe that at all. It is your wireless router. You will need to login into your wireless router and make sure that it will forward not only tcp but udp 5198 to 5200. Just a fair warning!

KD8DEY Rating: 3/5 Aug 1, 2006 11:00 Send this review to a friend
Nice but needs work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have SBC DSL Pro and a 2.6ghz dell and still have problems with out of sequence packets, dropped packets, missed parts of conversations.
Tried changing the assigned key for TX and couldnt TX anymore. had to re install.
had to turn the buffers to max which gives almost a 3 sec delay. Maybe if the code was "streamlined" for a better compiler??

Set up was pretty easy on the dell. had a little problem setting up the router (my fault) till I figured out the settings to allow me to use echolink on the laptop or desktop without having to change settings. (DHCP)

Still a good idea for keeping in contact with your local buddies while out of town .

K1HPD Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2006 14:05 Send this review to a friend
works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using echolink for almost two years now and enjoy it. I know it's not "real radio" but it is a fun added tool in my shack. I have it set up on 2 PCs and a laptop. The PCs are P4's and run windows XP, the laptop a P2 w/98SE and it runs cleanly on all. I intially ran dial up and had no issues and now am on hi-speed cable, again with no problems once I configured the firewall on the router. The only downside (and it is the router not echolink) is that the firewall only allows me to route to one computer at a time. If I change computers I have to change the firewall settings (not a problem as you leave all three set up on the firewall list as allowed and move the computer that you want to use to the top of the list). It allows me to stay in touch at home in NH when I travel (I like to fish and go to Virginia and NY). It also allows me to stay in touch with friends who winter out of state. I also enjoy randomly pulling up repeaters and talking with hams in other areas (I work second or third shift and it is always daytime somewhere)!

N0FPE Rating: 0/5 Mar 13, 2006 20:09 Send this review to a friend
Pass  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had nothing but trouble getting it set up to work thru my router and firewall. Then what a bore. Uninstalled it faster than windoze can lock up. If I want to chat via computer I will use Yahoo or AIM. Back to the HF rig and real DX, not the fake stuff on Echolink. Oh and I might even scare up a FM simplex conversation on 52 with NO computer!!! what a concept!!!
It might be ok for the folks that want to pretend to work DX but I will PASS

N1FFF Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2004 06:37 Send this review to a friend
Works great after fixing port forwarding, need better mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm a recent convert to Echolink. Install was easy, has a great user interface, well documented, there is a great diagnostic utility on the Echolink web site that helped me identify the need to tweak my Linksys 54G router to set up port forwarding, which was well documented in accompanying help file.

Picked up an inexpensive dynamic mic from Radio Shack (Clip-on Computer Microphonepart# 33-3026, $11.95)to use w/ my PC's built-in sound card (IBM 2.2GHz w/ XP home).

The only problem I have is that I have to be very carefull with mic position and my speaking level to avoid overmodulating the sound. Does anyone have recommendations for a better mic?

The first night I had the software running I had QSO w/ Fred VE7EYI in Vacouver, BC Canada. The next day heard from I8IUD near Rome, and that night joined a conference in Birmingham, England for QSO w/ Peter G4KQU, PJ G7KNP, and Mark G4EID.

This internet linking has expanded my ham world dramatically! Have also used my HT to access both a local echolink repeater node and IRLP to talk to some guys in the Cincinatti area. All with my little 5 watt Yaesu HT!