Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | LDG AT-1000 Help

Reviews Summary for LDG AT-1000
LDG AT-1000 Reviews: 66 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $599.00
Description: This is an automated antenna tuner capable of 1000 watts SSB, 750 Watts CW, and 500 watts digital.
More info: http://www.ldgelectronics.com

You can write your own review of the LDG AT-1000.

WW5AA Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2008 14:25 Send this review to a friend
One year later  Time owned: more than 12 months
One year now and the LDG AT-1000 is still doing the job! I changed out my 177' doublet for 256'. During the heat of battle I ran 1500 watts through it a couple of times (not recommended of course). What can I say, it does everything it should. If the old IC-AT-500 ever goes south, I'll get the AT-1000 Pro!

W0ZD Rating: 2/5 Dec 14, 2007 13:58 Send this review to a friend
Less than average performer  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought one to use with my Ten Tec Hercules II before I read the E-Ham reviews. At power levels above 300 watts the tuner tried to retune on CW and SSB peaks. After the retune the SWR was always over 3:1 so one had to be careful and not keep transmitting with high power. The only bands that did not retune were 80 and 40 meters. The tuner tried to retune on all bands above 40 meters when running over 300 watts. I see that this was not a new problem as it was identified in a couple of other reviews. When I contacted LDG they did not indicate that is was happening. They sort of lead me to believe this was a very unusual problem and wanted me to send it in for evaluation. On the positive side they were very responsive when I asked for some new hardware. They sent it post paid. I believe the design needs a little more refinement. Maybe the new AT-1000 will work as advertised. Iíll check the reviews before I buy another one.

K6DXX Rating: 1/5 Dec 6, 2007 16:46 Send this review to a friend
POOR  Time owned: more than 12 months
My review was mistakenly put under AT-1000Pro, so I'll repeat here. The performance of this tuner is POOR at best. I have owned the AT-1000 for over a year and used it on beams, verticles, and wires. The tuner simply will not hold a tune! Sometimes it tunes on low power and then detunes on high power, other times it will not tune at all. Don't give the business about RF getting into it (LDG) cause it an't happening! It's a lot of $$$ for knowthing! I wouldn't recommended it to anyone. I'm going back to my tried and true homemade manual tuner...K6DXX

K1VI Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2007 22:44 Send this review to a friend
Top notch -- just plain works!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased several months ago for use with my G5RV, in response to my growing habit of using rig-control software and spotting nets to change frequencies and bands at the drop of a hat... er... spot! What an advantage over my manual tuner! I run it with my 100-watt IC735, and it makes a great combo.

I upgraded a month ago, to an Icom 756Pro3 and Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.5KFX (KW out) amp, and the AT-1000 seems a perfect match for that as well. A local ham and I discovered we both had the Pro3, AT1000, and THP amp, and he said it well: It's simply like having a KW transceiver.

As LDG describes, the first time the tuner "sees" a new frequency, it can take a few seconds for the SWR-minimizing logic to find the L/C combo. Once it has seen that freq, autotuning upon returning anywhere near that spot takes just a half-second.

It tunes all bands the G5RV works on (10-80)at or below 1.1:1, and in my experience with that combo, it stays under the 1.8 SWR that the linear requires, with touch-up only upon changing more than 150Khz. Tuning at mid-20 meters, takes care of the whole band; 80 requires touch-up beyond a 100KHz move.

Mike, K1VI

VK4ARI Rating: 3/5 Jul 11, 2007 03:59 Send this review to a friend
Great within limits  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased the AT-1000 to handle matching duties whilst using my Ameritron 811a. Not a big amp but we're only allowed 400w PEP as an "Advanced" call here so it's got plenty of head room.

Initial impressions were of high construction quality. Components are certainly not seconds and care is taken with fit and finish. I guess at $AUD 1000+ you want that.

Straight up there was an issue on the 40m Band where the shown vswr by the tuner was considerably at odds with those given by several known reference units which would show 1:2.2 or so when the LDG tuner insisted it was flat. You could then of course manually trim the match until the rig was happy but the next time you returned to 40m the tuner would retune once again. I was unable to make the tuner accept the manual tune into memory as default at that frequency.

After serveral emails back and forth with the manufacturer who were quite responsive I might add, some modifications were suggested to the internal metering circuit on the AT-1000 which once I had done then brought the unit inline with the reference meters.

The next thing I noticed is that a tune when performed on the 6m band would result in a flat match but a very deaf receiver. Turn tuner off and RX was back there where you started. I'm still not sure what the story is here but have read enough reviews and forums to know this is not uncommon on some of the LDG range. No biggy for me but it would be less than optimal if you are a 6m fan.

This brought me to the next problem. On either of my main HF antennae once output was at anything in excess of 300w the tuner would start to randomly retune of its own accord.

On this issue I will put my hand up and say that I accept without reservation that my status in renting a home and the resulting compromises to station setup are a large culprit here. I do have station earths but only to water piping and single copper earthing rods in two spots, no underground mesh. I use baluns and chokes to prevent RF back along my feedlines etc but the fact that the antennae are physically perhaps 7 to 10 meters from the tuner of course causes RF to be present in the shack.

Summing up.
The AT-1000 is a fast, easy, reliable and well made unit worthy of place in any well laid out shack where *all parameters of the HF setup are optimal* and assuming you wish to risk getting one with poor 6m characteristics. If on the other hand your shack has some compromise involved in location of Antennae and earthing you may be better served by a good manual unit. In the end I sold mine and went back to a manual unit. I also sold another tuner by the same manufacturer on the strength of the experience which in hindsight was a bit harsh as that unit (at-200Pro) was without any fault I could find.

How I marked.

Start with the nominal 4 for "Good"

Lose 1 full point for the 6m RX issue
Lose .5 for inability to manually store tune
Lose .5 point for RF immunity or lack there of
Gain .5 point for better than average build quality and service via email from manufacturer.
Gain .5 for excellent tuning times when it works

Yours in Amateur Radio
Ari S Laver
VK4ARI

WA5NSF Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2007 11:08 Send this review to a friend
met expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My experience with the at-1000 tuner has been
very favorable so far. I have a IC-7000 feeding into a AL811 Ameritron amp. I use dipoles for 75 and 40. I have a g5rv for 17 and 20. I use the tuner on all bands and get a near 1:1 match on 75 and 40. The match on 17 and 20 is below 1.5:1. I would advise disconnecting or turning off any 100 watt tuner you may have attached to the rig when using the at-1000 with the amp. The at-1000 will still work with 2 tuners in series, but the match appears to be better without the 100 watt tuner in series with the at-1000. wa5nsf

W1JUS Rating: 0/5 Jul 8, 2007 16:23 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Never worked -

K7WFR Rating: 1/5 Jul 1, 2007 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Would not recommend  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Out of the Box, the meters were not sitting on zero...that should have been my first hint.
The unit has a terrible time tuning a 102' doublet where the SGC-230 I have and the manual MFJ-941E do not have any trouble. It seems to be unable to retain a memory and trying to clear the memory to go to a better setting (lower SWR) just does not work.
It constantly has to find the same frequency over and over again and the noise it makes scares the dickens out of my cat. I wrote the company for a return refund and did not receive any communications back from them at all. There are times when it just will not do anything when I push the buttons. I have to power it down and turn it back on to make it do anything. Although it is claimed to be "Automatic", it is nothing more than semi-automatic. So, I am very disappointed in it. I give it a 1 because it does look nice.
I would not recommend this tuner to anyone. I'd really like to horse trade it for something but would feel guilty letting someone else be disappointed too! Today, I was on the phone helping a fellow get going on Winlink. He asked me what the gawd-aweful noise was....and I told him it was this junk tuner. Sounds like my kids battery powered D9 Cat coming through the house!

AF3Y Rating: 4/5 Jun 26, 2007 09:11 Send this review to a friend
Need better QC  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The unit works well, as expected, however, one minor thing keeps it from a 5. The feet are unlevel (easily corrected) and the thing rocks when I touch it. Inspector "CE" must have been finishing up his/her coffee and doughnuts instead of checking it for the exterior items. I called them, just to tell them about it, and the person who answered the phone seemed a little miffed that I would call about such a minor thing. Heck, for the price, I expected better quality of construction on the exterior. After all, LDG is not MFJ... right??

ON4XA Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2007 13:45 Send this review to a friend
iafter 4 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 4 years, mine works perfectly. Can even tune my Mosley TA 33 JRN WARC on 40 and 80. Without any TVI.
This tuner is a miracle.