Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | LDG AT-1000 Help

Reviews Summary for LDG AT-1000
LDG AT-1000 Reviews: 65 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $599.00
Description: This is an automated antenna tuner capable of 1000 watts SSB, 750 Watts CW, and 500 watts digital.

You can write your own review of the LDG AT-1000.

EA2FL Rating: 4/5 Apr 28, 2007 04:47 Send this review to a friend
Small, fast and runs 1kw !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Everybody needs tuning sometimes and most people run more than 100w, specially on lower freqs. Power tuners are BIG and auto tuners work no more than 200w. This is the only one, as far as I know, that is both: Power and Auto. Just for this reason it deserves a high note.

I see that some people had problems with this one, but looks like they have used it badly. Poor thing! Manual says (not big enough sign, I must say) that you cannot run more than 200w if you cannot get less than 2:1 SWR. It will burn relays!!!

Unit can handle almost 10:1 SWR (from 6 to 800 ohms) which is more than built in tuner with Icom PW1 (just 3:1), and you cannot have the amp away from desk and this little tuner just in front of you, if you have a PW1! But tuning that much does not mean it will tune anything! Besides one can have an error and transmit high power before tuning with just less than 120w, which is a need to.
This new version 2.5 has 200 memory positions and will not tune if you send too much power, but still you can have an error...

I find it very GOOD for the price. I don't give it a 5 because I would like it to be fool proof, have a little better look and have some more features.

Heavier duty: Yes, possible but it will cost twice or more and then will manage 5 or more kw.
Look: LED is too bright when powered at 13.8VDC, meter is too much inside the box, so upper part does not show well.
Features: It will be nice to have a power switch, besides on/off button (easy to add if we want), remote control and being able to work outdoors, but will again make it more expensive. Last two are very nice features that not everybody needs.

I want to insist that is a very good item, but needs to be treated well. Handles 500 continuous carrier, 750 CW and 1KW SSB, 1.8 to 30MHz. Besides it will take 200w SSB on 50MHz. Not bad!

Using it could not be easier. Just press 2 seconds the tune button while apply medium power, 20 to full 100w, carrier from exciter. It will do the rest very quickly (less or much less than half a second) after learning your antenna/s and frequencies impedances (it can take up to 8 seconds to try the 128+128 combinations of 7 capacitors plus 7 coils).

If you want you can play more: switch tuner to by-pass, manual fine tuning and storing in memo. Also has infos like telling you are sending too much or too less power to be able to tune. For all this you need a chart to understand the meaning of those up&down needle bounces. Not that you need to play more really, just learn to push TUNE 2 secs. Manual is available at LDG website.

N6BIZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2007 16:43 Send this review to a friend
I LIKE IT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
just got mine does a better job than the 897 tuner if it breaks heck its got a 2 year warranty and u cant beat that
N2NEH Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2007 08:48 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had initially purchased an LDG-AT200Pro for travel and loved it so much that I bought an AT-1000 for home station use. The AT-1000 is a bit slower on the tune than the 200Pro but I love it just as much. This beastie is built like a tank and easily tunes every antenna combo at any frequency that I throw at it...even with my amp @ 600 watts. Now, you can't beat that....
WW5AA Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2007 12:44 Send this review to a friend
Does it all  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was a little concerned about getting this tuner after the 160 problems posted. My faithful IC-AT-500 needed a back-up so I ordered it. First check was 160 meters on the 177’ ladder line fed doublet at 60’. The AT-1000 found a 1:1 on the whole band. Next was the inverted “L”, 60’ vertical and 90’ horizontal with raised tuned radials. Again a 1:1 on the entire band. Ok, 80 thru 6 meters, 1:1 on the doublet and the vertical. I thought I would have a hard time finding a tuner that does the job just as well as the IC-AT-500 at the great price of the LDG AT-1000. I must say that I am loading real antennas, and the shack is not buzzing with RF.
K2GW Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2007 12:43 Send this review to a friend
Instant Blast  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my AT-1000 for a year and love it. It replaced a Murch AT-1000 which I needed to tune my Alpha Delta through all of 80 meters.

Tuning is just a two second push button operation instead of the two minute operation of cranking the roller inductor.

Coupled with my ALS-600 4 FET linear amplifier, I can now tune a frequency and be ready to go with a full 600 watts in two seconds if needed.

Gary, K2GW

K3TLP Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2007 13:27 Send this review to a friend
As Advertised  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I acquired a LDG AT-1000 7 months ago from a local
s.k. I have been using it with a R-7 vertical, a quarter wave 40 meter vertical, and a long wire. It is a bit noisy when it first tunes. After that it takes a fraction to return to that antenna and frequency. I have used it with 3 different amps - up to 900 watts. It works quickly and works very well. I'm very satisfied with it.
KT9O Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2006 07:25 Send this review to a friend
Heavy duty.....  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a well designed unit that is beefy and rugged. I bought it for use with my 600 watt solid state amp. It does well on all bands except, in my case, 160 meters. My trapped dipole is outside the range of the tuners ability which tops out at around 800 ohms. This is typical for the older hi-power tuners. Its a great value as a used item and might be great value for you in your shack.
KN4JX Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2006 17:15 Send this review to a friend
You can not find a better 1000 Watt autotuner for the price.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my AT-1000 for about four years now. I think it is great!

When I bought it, it did not yet have the memory board installed. When I called to see if I could get the upgrade I was treated very well. They installed the upgrade for free. I have been very pleased with its performance.

I use it with a TL-922A running about 900 Watts into three antennas, a TA33 Beam, a Windom, and also a 320’ Zepp using open line and a 4:1 balan.

It has tuned most bands down to a 1:5:1 SWR or better.

I will say on 160m it is not as good as on the rest of the bands. It is a little slow there but it will bring my Zepp that has a 4:1 SWR down to a 2:1.

The relays are heavy duty and make some noise when tuning. This is shortened after you have tuned on that frequency before and it is put into one of it’s 100 memories.

Overall you can not find a better 1000 Watt autotuner for the price.
WR5RR Rating: 3/5 Nov 19, 2006 18:03 Send this review to a friend
AT 1000 and 160 Meters  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

Remarks: AT 1000 and 160 Meters

I am very disappointed in the 160-meter performance of the AT-1000. The ARRL testing indicated their was a weakness in the 160 meter performance, but this was with very high SWR. With a 4:1 SWR the tuner will not tune below a 3:1. My antenna is resonant at 1.947, and the 2:1 bandwidth is + or - 18 kc. This tuner will not tune down to 1.892 or up to 1.970 with a usable SWR. The main reason I wanted the tuner was for 160 meters. It works great on the other bands, but it is lacking on 160 meters. I guess I am asking too much of the tuner, but my TS-2000 will tune a greater 160 range, but I need a tuner because I use an amplifier on 160. Of course my manual tuner works just fine on 160. Maybe it deserves more then a three, but if you need it for 160, it's not the tuner you need.

WB5TTY Rating: 0/5 Nov 18, 2006 00:49 Send this review to a friend
Buyer Beware  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had the KW Tuner for less than a week before it burned a relay. The dealer sent it back for credit and LDG ignored the written request for credit to the dealer's account. The KW Tuner was "fixed" and returned. I paid $600 for a new tuner and got a bum tuner which has a burned board that cannot be fixed to new spec. I will never buy from LDG gain. They are over priced and don't stand behind their product. Burning a circuit bard leaves carbon trails in the board which is very bad news in a high power RF system. I don't think LDG is ready for high power. As I said, buyer beware!