Reviews Categories | Weather Stations | Peet Bros Ultimeter 2100 Help

Reviews Summary for Peet Bros Ultimeter 2100
Peet Bros Ultimeter 2100 Reviews: 18 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $399.99
Description: ULTIMETER 2100 - best in its class! The much-anticipated successor to our most popular weather station ever (ULTIMETER 2000, the world-renowned standard for performance and reliability in a home weather station), the ULTIMETER 2100 features a stunning platinum-tone housing with brilliant blue display backlighting. To improve the user interface still further, an illuminated keypad provides exceptional visibility in darkness or low-light conditions. The ULTIMETER 2100 utilizes Peet Bros.' patented and proven weather sensor technology, including our unique all-digital wind sensor. It has all the features of its predecessors - all the features you've asked us for - and a few you might not have thought of. Its microprocessor is 8 TIMES FASTER and has 4 TIMES THE MEMORY of our earlier weather stations.
More info: http://www.peetbros.com

You can write your own review of the Peet Bros Ultimeter 2100.

N8QH Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2014 15:59 Send this review to a friend
Accurate, great support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed the Ultimeter 2100 on my sailboat. Installation was quick and the instructions were well written (I'm a tech writer - I appreciate how hard a goal that can be to achieve).

The barometer is exceptionally accurate. More so than I would expect from anything besides a laboratory instrument. After applying the necessary correction factor, it is tracking an aeronautical weather station a mile away exactly.

I integrated the product to send data via APRS. My APRS transceiver is an Argent T3-301. I initially had an issue getting the T3-301 to recognize the Peet Bros. data, and I called Peet Bros. support. Dave there helped me troubleshoot the problem and verify I had valid data being output from the 2100. It turned out to be an issue with the T3-301 "automatic" serial mode. After I reconfigured the T3-301 data channel to 2400 baud and "text" data type (instead of "automatic"), it all came up and ran.

You can see my data at aprs.fi, SSID: N8QH-8. This setup will allow me to send weather data while my vessel is underway. The T3-301 will transmit a moving position AND weather data, which my Kenwood TM-D710 can't do (you can't have GPS data and weather data simultaneously connected to the same port).

Good product and support!

KJ4ADN Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2013 13:24 Send this review to a friend
Accurate, Reliable, Repairable, - Best by far!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Our Ultimeter 2100 also has the Pro Sensor combo. The cabling to the house is an 8 pair shielded & buried, standard telephone 20 gauge wire, 90-100' in length. We have been on the edge of Hurricanes, sustained winds of 65 mph, and it has recorded wind speed, direction & rainfall without a hitch. Living on a ridge, we get windy weather, 25-35mph gusts are not uncommon, so are lightning ground strikes!

Having troubleshot a Davis for a friend of mine in Buxton, NC (OBX).. several times, I was really turned off to wireless models, whether or not they have solar panels - they still have a battery that wears out! If it can't handle salt air & hurricanes... gee wiz! What can? Flying debris breaks things.

Lacrosse & Acu-Rite units, didn't last a year, one of these went through batteries so fast, we considered hard wiring it to the house. And curiously... the electric fence charger seemed to effect the wireless units, but doesn't give our any of multi-station HAM radios any problem, with antennas located inside the perimeter of the fence..?!

The specs on the Peet Bros Ultimeter 2100 sounded pretty impressive, the accuracy unmatched. Seeing the morning dew register in a rain gauge, is quite an interesting feat of miniscule accuracy! It doesn't take much for the Anemometer to start moving, even the slightest breeze and it's starting to register. We've had this station running just about 4 years, and like every other station, it's worn out a part here and there - however, minor, the service from Peet Bros has been excellent. I'm rating this a "5" because by comparison to the other units, it's far better in accuracy, reliability & ease of repair. I checked the temperature with my calibrated +-.2 per degree probe, and from the factory, it was dead-on. But... when I added in 100' of cable, it changed.. so did the humidity sensor, as I suspected. So we simply calibrate.

I expect the bearings on the Anemometer to eventually wear out, maybe a reed switch to fail ($1.50 & easy to replace), and anyone that doesn't CALIBRATE your barometric pressure, temperature or whatever else specific to your site - why did you buy a weather station to begin with? Write the offsets down, so after the power has been off for 8 days you can reprogram it! The cost of replacement components needs to be considered, and if you're going to do in depth repairs yourself, can you get the parts off-the-shelf, or is everything coated in a thick layer of "non-field-repairable" plastic & goo? The Peet Bros stuff is easy to work on without destroying the whole unit. They also sell the internal parts & circuit boards to the sensors. That's a big PLUS, and the parts are inexpensive!

We decided NOT to spend the $$$ for "The Weather Picture" display, and spent the $$ on a dedicated "Weather Computer" instead. It's become our "Internet Computer", and stores, uploads & graphs the weather stuff, plus, gives us an ever changing display of what's going on outside. Again, the Peet Bros Ultimeter 2100 made it simple for us.

I found additional freeware software for the Ultimeter 2100 on N3FJPs web site, just connect it to your computer's serial port and it gives you real time results. We initially set it up to "broadcast" over our home network, so any computer could pull it up, run it in the background. Since then, my son, KJ4AMU has written some pretty neat software, added even more features, and automatically uploads to the CWOP website. KJ4AMU's software uses very little CPU, and we stuck it on a 12vdc "Green" machine that burns less than 18 watts of power under a full load. All the software is free & runs on any MS machine.

One thing worth mentioning, Peet Bros seems to encourage the experimenter and hobbyist by supplying wiring diagrams, data output stings and code to the operation of the units they sell. What started as a simple weather station has turned into an educational, fun, father / son project.

This ought to be a no-brainer... keep a spare part of the outside components that wear. For some systems, that's the WHOLE unit, for Peet Bros, it's a couple of small, inexpensive, circuit boards or reed switch. Our experience with several competing units has clearly shown Peet Bros is the best value, most accurate, easiest & cheapest to maintain, and favors the experimenter / programmer. A solid 4-5, compared to others, easily a +5.

KJ4ADN

MW1CFN Rating: 0/5 Apr 5, 2012 14:12 Send this review to a friend
In the End, I Ditched It.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
In the end, the unit went back and a full refund was obtained.

On inspection after total failure of the wind assembly, the central plastic spindle running through the wind cups and presumably on to the wind vane was found to have broken, leading to the vane coming off, and the cups vanishing in the wind.

The spindle appears to me to be much, much too weak to withstand repeated exposure to heavy winds. The maximum it was exposed to here was about 75mph, so substantially below the inferred survivability figure in the specifications.

I also had considerable suspicions about the effects of RF fields on the unit; the pressure and wind readings seemed susceptible to wild fluctuations after some transmitting.

VY0HL Rating: 2/5 Oct 23, 2011 12:53 Send this review to a friend
Design flaw  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Just upgraded to the PRO anemometer, but there is a design issue with it. The larger cups have very little clearance under the vane. Since the bearing has so much "slop" the cups strike the vane, slowing it down and produce an inaccurate wind speed. I have a spare hub, and tried the the PRO anemometer and vane on it but get the same results. As a result I have gone back to the old anemometer. This was a total waste of money upgrading!

KF4ZUX Rating: 3/5 May 15, 2011 05:46 Send this review to a friend
Peet Bros Ultimeter 2100  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had some problems with my humidity sensors and rain. I have no problems with peet bros service. I'm not impressed with the weather text package. I now have the PRO Anemometer as a back up the old one dont get the low wind wont change untill the old one quit.Station type/software: Byonics WxTrak, Peet Brothers Ultimeter 2100.http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/AR461?tile=10;humidity=0#dewpoint god bless and thanks kf4zux

K1SMM Rating: 3/5 Mar 15, 2010 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Not recommended  Time owned: more than 12 months
The cost is too high and they try to justify it with accuracy, etc. I don't find it to be accurate to that extent. The temperature reads +2 degrees above a military grade analog meter next too it.. They also claim wires are more accurate than wireless, Hello? I like my $35 Lacrosse unit and will expand on that. Sorry I bought the Peet.

N4DBM Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2008 13:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for APRS/CWOP  Time owned: more than 12 months
Same as my review for the Ultimeter 800. I had some problems with one of my humidity sensors. They sent me a new humidity element free the next day. The software "Weather Text Tools" is an interface that's easy to use and logs data. Easy to interface with APRS-WX or CWOP using a client such as UI-View 32. Can also be hooked directly to a TNC or stand-alone radio/modem like the Byonics WX-Track for a completely remote station. For the price, it's hard to beat this one.

KH8AF Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2008 08:58 Send this review to a friend
Great units  Time owned: more than 12 months
We have over 22 2000's and 2100';s in service all over the Pacific..some 8-10 years old. They are Great units and very reliable. Like anything today, the later 2100's have much improved. Have many with multiple Weather Pictures and hardily recommend them. Only very few failures are in the earlier humidity sensors. Anemometers seen to just run forever. The people who bought the company and moved it to Florida do not however have quite the same dedication to customer service as the founder Bill Peet.

KE5C Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2008 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Since I've neither owned nor used any other serious amateur weather equipment, I'm not going to say the Ultimeter is better than brand X or I wish I had bought brand Y. I picked the Peet based on comments in the Xastir list group - I wanted a station that worked out-of-the box with Xastir which I run on Linux. Then the funny part is, I ran it that way a few days and just decided to dump the reports to my own web page instead so I could easily look them up from anywhere - http://www.ke5c.net/wx/ shows what I am doing right now. This is a preformatted text mode report, so it is very easy to work with. In fact, I am not tying up a computer but instead am using a "serial port server" to deliver the reports to a server I can access - see Lantronix MSS100. I decided to go all out and upgraded to the best sensors they had, and with the Christmas special, I paid $650 for the 2100, heated anemometer, marine grade wind sensor, 0.01 inch tipping bucket rain sensor, outdoor humidity-temp sensor with solar shield and the Weathertext data tools which I am not using, but they were included in the special and do work. The construction seemed very solid, and the interconnecting cables sturdy and well made. The wind, humidity and temperature sensors are up about 35 feet on my tower, and the rain bucket is on my (non-functioning) chimney top. The Ultimeter has been RF proof so far, and I am just very pleased overall.

W3LK Rating: 4/5 Jan 23, 2008 16:08 Send this review to a friend
Upgrade the anemometer  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you upgrade to the 2100 display, you really need to upgrade to the Pro anemometer. The old one didn't register below 1.5 mph and the new one registers at .5 mph, sometimes less. The cups are considerably larger as is the direction vane. Additionally, where the old unit reads in whole numbers, the new one reads in 1/10ths, as well.

I did the upgrade last year (after using the 2000 for more than 6 years with no problems) and I am more than pleased with the increased performance.

I do not use any of the supplied software.

Lon - W3LK