Reviews Categories | Weather Stations | Peet Bros Ultimeter 2100 Help

Reviews Summary for Peet Bros Ultimeter 2100
Peet Bros Ultimeter 2100 Reviews: 19 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $399.99
Description: ULTIMETER 2100 - best in its class! The much-anticipated successor to our most popular weather station ever (ULTIMETER 2000, the world-renowned standard for performance and reliability in a home weather station), the ULTIMETER 2100 features a stunning platinum-tone housing with brilliant blue display backlighting. To improve the user interface still further, an illuminated keypad provides exceptional visibility in darkness or low-light conditions. The ULTIMETER 2100 utilizes Peet Bros.' patented and proven weather sensor technology, including our unique all-digital wind sensor. It has all the features of its predecessors - all the features you've asked us for - and a few you might not have thought of. Its microprocessor is 8 TIMES FASTER and has 4 TIMES THE MEMORY of our earlier weather stations.
More info: http://www.peetbros.com

You can write your own review of the Peet Bros Ultimeter 2100.

W3LK Rating: 4/5 Jan 23, 2008 16:08 Send this review to a friend
Upgrade the anemometer  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you upgrade to the 2100 display, you really need to upgrade to the Pro anemometer. The old one didn't register below 1.5 mph and the new one registers at .5 mph, sometimes less. The cups are considerably larger as is the direction vane. Additionally, where the old unit reads in whole numbers, the new one reads in 1/10ths, as well.

I did the upgrade last year (after using the 2000 for more than 6 years with no problems) and I am more than pleased with the increased performance.

I do not use any of the supplied software.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

N1EDU Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2008 04:17 Send this review to a friend
Out of Box so far so good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got a good price, so that always helps, and this unit is replacing a Lacrosse 2317 that failed twice in 2 years.

Out of the box, everything did as I expect, or better. I read the book, I read the reviews here. I am impressed specifically with the anemometer - updates at .5 seconds (or better when wind is over 5 mph!)

Some previous posts complained that the cups don't spin up or are inconsistant in light wind conditions. On the living room couch, I blew gently and maintained .5 to .6 on up to 5 mph quite easily.

I side arm mounted the wind sensors Saturday evening (who does tower work in NH in mid January, in the dark ?) and today is Wednesday. So far, I'm very happy with the system. It was easy to set up, and the data seems to corespond to my reference points.

I'm a big fan of wunderground.com. In Lacrosse circles, the only software to use is called weather underground heavy uploader or wuhu. It is freeware. The developer is a great guy, and I may have him convinced to take a look at the data stream to see if it'll fit in to the existing application without much trouble.

I'm not impressed with the weather text package - it simply extracts the data into either .txt or .csv files.

I like that the interface box has another output so I could run Wx APRS on one side of my room, and perhaps the console on the other, close to the computer.

Stay tuned for more, but so far so good.
Dave
N1EDU

AL7B Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2007 01:51 Send this review to a friend
2100 Upgrade - Worthwhile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the Peet Bro Ultimeter 2100 weather station system for about 4 years. I like the system but as I mentioned in a previous review felt the anemometer was the weak area of the station.

I called Peet Bro to inquire about their new PRO Anemometer. It had larger cups and I was hoping for better light wind sensitivity. Peet Bro informed me the PRO Anemometer required an upgrade of the Ultimeter 2100 computer/keypad. They had a special price available for owners of older 2100 units. The upgrade includes a new computer/keypad, PRO Anemometer and software CD. Peet Bro sent the upgrade hardware and even gave me credit for the old keyboard before they received it.

The PRO Anemometer is well worth the upgrade. I am now able to register winds in the 1 to 3 MPH range, which were always missed by the old unit. The upgraded keyboard/computer also has several improvements. The graphics of the keypad are better defined and it seems the back lighting might be LED instead of light bulbs. The new manual states the backlight can be left on all the time where the manual for the older unit recommended using it sparingly.

Setting of the date is less cryptic now, allowing you to select the year rather than having to determine what the year is relative to the last leap year. Offsets are included for not only the wind, but also temperature and humidity. The manual is also of better quality.

The anemometer is located at the 35-foot level of my radio tower and about 5 feet from the feed point of my 40-meter inverted-v and 10 feet below my Mosley CL-33 beam antennas. I have not noticed any issues with RF interfering with the operation of the weather station on any HF band.

It looks as if Peet has matured the Ultimeter 2100 computer/keypad over the past few years. I wish I had upgraded months ago. Peet Bro makes it easy to do.

WU8P Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2007 10:57 Send this review to a friend
No Problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I started with a ultimeter 2000 then upgraded to 2100. Both units worked great. The 2100 still is working just fine. I have installed it at two different locations. No problems with sensors at all. I have emailed Peet Bros several times over the years and have had great responce. One time I lost the little filter screen that goes in the Pro rain gauge. I contacted Peet and they sent two new screens at no cost. Next time I had misplaced the adaptor that connects the 2100 to the serial port on my computer. Again I contacted Peet and they sent a replacement Free.
Great product and great service

WA3RRK Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2006 16:58 Send this review to a friend
Excellent APRS Weather Station & Accurate  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had a Peet 2100 installed with an APRS Weather Station since February of 2003 after purchase at Orlando (Florida) HAMVention. It has performed without problems now for almost 4 years and the Ultimeter 2100 display lets me display knots and Celsius values while on the computer I display MPH and Fahrenheit values. This is convenient when working DX. I can give the metric values for DX contacts and yet when working "stateside" contacts, I can give the English values. I am considering purchasing the new "PRO" anemometer at the 2007 Orlando HAMVention. The Weather Station is set up to operate unattended using an IBM 770ED (PII MXX @255) running the Sproul Brothers WinAPRS 2.8 linked into an AEA PK-232 MBX and a Kenwood TM-243 2 meter transceiver. It has survived at least (5) nearby hurricanes and when Pinellas County turned off the electricity to the City of St. Pete Beach (Hurricane Charlie), I continued to monitor the conditions at my QTH on the island on which I live on while the storm approached. The system is very accurate and I do get differences in the humidity from the more inland stations, but it IS TRUE due to the fact that the Gulf of Mexico is less than 1/2 a mile away and Mud Key Channel is 40-feet from the sensor. I have a windspeed device on my sailboat moored behind the house and the speeds match. I really like this device and I am glad I chose to purchase it. God Bless You and Yours! 73, Lyn, WA3RRK, Vina Del Mar Island, St. Pete Beach, FL

K5ADF Rating: 4/5 Oct 30, 2006 18:12 Send this review to a friend
Good weather station  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased an Ultimeter 2000 in 2000 at Dayton including all the sensors, software and the weather picture. I upgraded the Ultimeter 2000 to 2100 at Dayton in 1995. It is installed in my radio shack with the wind sensor mounted on my tower at about 25 feet (tower is 40 feet tall). The other two outdoor sensors are mounted on the house about 20 feet above ground and near the tower. I have a Hustler 5BTV ground mounted within 15 feet of the sensors. I have never had a problem with RFI as described by others below. However, I have had RFI problems in the shack.

The weather picture is really a nice touch. It is easy to read and impressive to visitors. I have upgraded the software (Weather Outlook V1.0) and have it running on Windows XP Pro. I have not had any problems with it other than customizing the graphics, which I finally gave up. I use the standard graphics.

The wind sensor lasts about two years here in southern Texas. I bought a replacement unit so that I only had to climb the tower one time to replace it. As reported below, the reed relay is not all that durable. Last year I had the rain sensor (non-dumping) literally burn up. I had to send it in for repair. It is now back functioning.

The values displayed by the unit match what the National Weather Service reports at the airport 20 miles away. I am satisfied with the unit and would recommend it to others.

K1UHF Rating: 1/5 Oct 30, 2006 14:12 Send this review to a friend
Not recommended  Time owned: months
I have to make two trips up my tower to replace the reed switch in my unit. Peet Bros wants $60 to replace the $2 reed switch and I have to send it back and climb the tower twice. The other option would be to pay $90 and have a new anemometer so I could fix it in one trip.

I think I will install the reed switch myself.

BTW the system is very sensitive to RF and locks up each time I transmit on 80 meters, even barefoot. The 80 meter dipole is nowhere near the Peet installlation on my tower. Each time it locks up you have to re-program everything including leap year and the barometer.

AGROLAN Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2006 03:43 Send this review to a friend
WeatherSMS with Ulimeter  Time owned: more than 12 months
The WeatherSMS include build-in cellular Module + Antenna and you just need install the GSM SIM card and it's working !
The WeatherSMS does not need any PC connection or Internet connection, it is sending SMS directly from the unit !

The WeatherSMS has 2 independent options :

A. Use with ULTIMETER
Connection directly to the Ultimeter serial port (in Complete Record Mode) and get Weather Alert or Weather Data :
Weather Alert - The Weather SMS check the Ultimeter Data every minute and send alert of any one of the Ultimeter message Data . The alert will be sent to SMS number from special list of users (up to 9 SMS )
Weather Data - Sending SMS request to the WeatherSMS will be responded by a message including predefined weather data
B. Independent use
The WeatherSMS can also be used as an independent stand alone device.
The unit has 1 Analog Input channel and 8 Digital input channels which can be programmed to send SMS measages in a response to change of state, or limit crossing.
As an example, connecting a temperature sensor to the analog input can provide alert for cooling storage, computer rooms. etc.

The system also sends alert when the power supply fall down.
The WeartherSMS includes internal rechargeable backup batteries, enabling it to contnue functioning for 4 hours without electricity supply.

N0OQA Rating: 4/5 Oct 24, 2004 20:58 Send this review to a friend
Good Performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently upgraded my PEET 2000 (used for APRS) to a PEET 2100.

-- The best feature is the new bright display.

This is a GREAT improvment over the 2000 unit. The new 2100 unit's wind direction in degrees is also nice, but the unit is basicaly very similar to the older 2000 unit.

I have had very good luck with my PEET system and it work all seasons in Minnesota (over 6 years in operation). My system has heated wind and rain sensor (a must for Minnesota).

I think the system is a good value because of the following features:

-- Heated wind sensor at a good price
-- Heated rain sensor (no moving parts!!) at a
good price.
-- Battery backup (fussy contacts)
-- Can use long cables runs.
-- Can make your own cables (CAT 5 or flat phone