Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Cushcraft 13B2 Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft 13B2
Cushcraft 13B2 Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $159.95
Description: 2m 13 element boomer antenna (vert./horiz.)
More info: http://www.cushcraft.com/amateur/details.asp?catid=11

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft 13B2.

ON6SX Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2013 14:05 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 13B2 is more than 15 years old and never let me down.I worked a lot of DX in EU with distances more than 1200Km(TR)and more than 2500km(ES).My QTH is on 25m ASL and and the antenna is installed only 12m above ground.
The setup is TS-790E + RFC2-317 (170W) and no pre-amp.

W4HLN Rating: 2/5 Sep 24, 2013 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Well..................  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So far...Got the antenna today and started assembly. Got down to the boom / mast mount plate and the clamps are wrong for the boom....put on flat washers...lock washers and tighten down nuts all the way and you still need a half inch threads or better on each side to get it to tighten! Wrong Clamps!

Contacted support at MFJ/CUSHCRAFT and sent a photo of the problem...We will see!

Will write a complete review once this problem is solved...or not ... very soon

W4KVW Rating: 3/5 May 10, 2013 08:22 Send this review to a friend
SO SO at best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 13B2 is at best OK.They should discontinue building it & go back to the 215WB which is a much better antenna & the materials used in the 215WB are much better as well.Newer is not always better!
The 215WB will talk circles around the 13B2 & YES I own both but will be parting with the 13B2 ASAP.Go with an M2 or a 215WB if you can find one.

KD0PWM Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2012 15:21 Send this review to a friend
A+ Customer Support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only had the 13B2 for a couple weeks, but it is working great. Solid antenna; I am not going to worry about it being at the top of my 70 foot tower at my windy QTH. Assembly was very easy and straightforward. I was short one element in the box, which we all know does happen occasionally, so the MOST important thing is, "how does the manufacturer customer service department respond?" I left a message online with Cushcraft, and Tom was very helpful and quickly sent me what I needed.

GM6TVR Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2012 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong.........  Time owned: more than 12 months
I replaced a geriatric Tonna beam which folded up in high winds, purchasing the Cushcraft 13B2 which has been up in the air at my qth for a few years now.
It, and other items of kit, have just survived the battering that Scotland received in the recent storms, with winds North of here reaching 165mph.
Antenna performs better than spec and I am delighted with it's performance and survival capabilities.

Nice one Cushcraft.

All the best,

John GM6TVR / GM0FQV

LEIGH Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2011 08:10 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Yagis  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have run 4 x 13b2 in a array for over 7 years. They are up at 75 foot on a free standing tower which I need a crane to get down. I have never had to do any work on them in this time. I use them in vertical polarity to work FM and repeaters. The SWR is below 1.1:1. I can work EME from this array and hold the VK tropo simplex FM record of 2821 Km! Also hold the VK furthest FM distance to repeater of 2817 Km.
I would recommend these antennas over anything else.
Leigh VK2KRR

KB7ZNV Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2010 21:00 Send this review to a friend
Damn good antenna in 1994 . Still a damn good antenna in 2010  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Cushcraft 13B 2 meter antenna back in early 1994 and it has worked flawlessly ever since. It survived extremely cold temperatures and some mean wind storms in eastern Washington State for several years and now it's set up and runnin like a new antenna here in Florida in late 2010.
Thought about stacking this antenna but they aren't as inexpensive as they once were back in 1994 and it works great as a single antenna.
An element will occasionally get slightly bent but they straighten out with ease.
I highly recommend this antenna and I look forward to giving another review in another 16 years.... Unless the antenna outlives me.

KZ3X Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2007 17:16 Send this review to a friend
Works Well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna for over 10 years and have not had any problems with it. I live in a high wind area and have not had any damage since it has been installed. Ditto for any ice damage, this antenna is built to last. It also helped me to achieve VUCC on 2 meters.

Using no more than 350 watts, I have used this antenna to work well over 100 grid squares. The antenna has performed well during tropo, e-skip, or meteor scatter openings.

I tilt over the tower about once a year to make sure all of the 13B2 connections are tight and have never had to do much more than a slight snug on the brackets, etc.

SWR has always been near perfect. For the folks who had problems matching the xcvr to the antenna, I wonder if you ever checked the obvious things that you may have done wrong during assembly.

WS2L Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2007 08:11 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the 13B2 several months ago when I became interested in working 2 meter SSB & CW. The package arrived and was able to assemble the antenna in just under one hour, the instructions were very simple to follow as compared to some other antennas I have assembled over the years.

Once I put the antenna up in the air I operated in the June VHF contest and was very impressed with some of the signal reports I received and the amount and distance some of the grids I worked. The SWR I found to be 1.1:1 across the entire 2 meter band which surprised me, I did not need to make any adjustments at all.

I'm now toying with the idea of getting another 13B2 and stacking the two of them together. If the results I am seeing with just one antenna I can only imagine what the results will be with two of them phased together.

I highly recommend this antenna to anyone looking for a simple to assemble high performance yagi for 2 meters. I have only used the antenna in the horizontal position but it can be mounted vertically. I can only imagine how well the 13B2 would work on FM simplex in the vertical position.

This is one great antenna and it is worth every penny.

K5VY Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2006 05:12 Send this review to a friend
I'm on my 6th 13B2!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using the Cushcraft 13B2, in various combinations and polarities, for over 8 years. The earlier models used a conventional gamma match and the later models have a "match box".. both work well, the gamma was easier to set up. I've moved around a lot and the antennas came and went. I've used the MFJ 2 meter tuner on low power (<200 watts). My present 13B2 was a gift from a ham in Houston who said "It just don't work right..." I strapped it to the top of my SUV and drove it to my QTH fully assembled. (Slow drive) Set it up the next day, vertical polarity, 1.2:1 SWR on 147.6 FM and never looked back. First contact logged 122 miles away using 120 watts. This Spring, God and my bank account willing, I'm going to put up a pair of 13B2's in vertical polarity using Cushcraft's kit for that purpose about 72' high. I can't come up with a good reason for trying another brand.