Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Cushcraft 13B2 Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft 13B2
Cushcraft 13B2 Reviews: 40 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $159.95
Description: 2m 13 element boomer antenna (vert./horiz.)
More info: http://www.cushcraft.com/amateur/details.asp?catid=11

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft 13B2.

HB9OAB Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2016 10:47 Send this review to a friend
Good Job - It works very well!  Time owned: more than 12 months
HI,
I use this antenna coupled with 2x13B2 for about 15 years.
The selected configuration is vertical.
I use of satellite links, ES and AirScatter.
Befor I used 2x10TONNA and then 2x2x11TONNA coupled with all the configuration H/E switchable so I changed to 2x13B2 in vertical polarization like 26B2.

With this 2x13VHF as minimal system I built home made couplers and all connections from the LNA, and ANT CABLE directly on the tower.

I also tried a couple of times via EME and I have also made more than 20 EME QSOs with only 200w also receiving excellent audible EME signals demonstrating a good compromise/installation.

Also I receive the France beacon of RAVES at 144350 via TROPO and EME without problem.
For a small setup, I more than that I can not get any better.
SWR: 1:1.2 centered at 144500 and perfectly usable with max 1:1.5 from 145000 to 146000 without mods.

After several testing I chose the 2x13 vertical configuration for minor construction problems and to be able to easily put 4x20UHF (80 horizontal elements) between them.

For my minimal use is a winning configuration.

Info via qrz.com
73's

AA8XR Rating: 1/5 Jan 12, 2016 21:18 Send this review to a friend
Poor   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I gladly and happily bought this new antenna as an early birthday gift to myself and low and behold it has terrible SWR throughout the band, because it appears the matching clamps on the driven element do not fit tight, so I had to modify them so that they would to make the SWR fall into a range of usability , this is completely unacceptable as a $250 antenna should work perfectly once assembled in its operating band
Shame on you CushCraft for not putting the proper parts to assemble the matching network correctly on this antenna

My 215 WB was a far greater antenna than this piece of junk,
I am extremely disappointed

I will be looking at all of the other brands of antennas from now on

ON6SX Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2013 14:05 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 13B2 is more than 15 years old and never let me down.I worked a lot of DX in EU with distances more than 1200Km(TR)and more than 2500km(ES).My QTH is on 25m ASL and and the antenna is installed only 12m above ground.
The setup is TS-790E + RFC2-317 (170W) and no pre-amp.

W4HLN Rating: 2/5 Sep 24, 2013 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Well..................  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So far...Got the antenna today and started assembly. Got down to the boom / mast mount plate and the clamps are wrong for the boom....put on flat washers...lock washers and tighten down nuts all the way and you still need a half inch threads or better on each side to get it to tighten! Wrong Clamps!

Contacted support at MFJ/CUSHCRAFT and sent a photo of the problem...We will see!

Will write a complete review once this problem is solved...or not ... very soon

W4KVW Rating: 3/5 May 10, 2013 08:22 Send this review to a friend
SO SO at best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 13B2 is at best OK.They should discontinue building it & go back to the 215WB which is a much better antenna & the materials used in the 215WB are much better as well.Newer is not always better!
The 215WB will talk circles around the 13B2 & YES I own both but will be parting with the 13B2 ASAP.Go with an M2 or a 215WB if you can find one.

KD0PWM Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2012 15:21 Send this review to a friend
A+ Customer Support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only had the 13B2 for a couple weeks, but it is working great. Solid antenna; I am not going to worry about it being at the top of my 70 foot tower at my windy QTH. Assembly was very easy and straightforward. I was short one element in the box, which we all know does happen occasionally, so the MOST important thing is, "how does the manufacturer customer service department respond?" I left a message online with Cushcraft, and Tom was very helpful and quickly sent me what I needed.

GM6TVR Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2012 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong.........  Time owned: more than 12 months
I replaced a geriatric Tonna beam which folded up in high winds, purchasing the Cushcraft 13B2 which has been up in the air at my qth for a few years now.
It, and other items of kit, have just survived the battering that Scotland received in the recent storms, with winds North of here reaching 165mph.
Antenna performs better than spec and I am delighted with it's performance and survival capabilities.

Nice one Cushcraft.

All the best,

John GM6TVR / GM0FQV

LEIGH Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2011 08:10 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Yagis  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have run 4 x 13b2 in a array for over 7 years. They are up at 75 foot on a free standing tower which I need a crane to get down. I have never had to do any work on them in this time. I use them in vertical polarity to work FM and repeaters. The SWR is below 1.1:1. I can work EME from this array and hold the VK tropo simplex FM record of 2821 Km! Also hold the VK furthest FM distance to repeater of 2817 Km.
I would recommend these antennas over anything else.
Leigh VK2KRR

KB7ZNV Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2010 21:00 Send this review to a friend
Damn good antenna in 1994 . Still a damn good antenna in 2010  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Cushcraft 13B 2 meter antenna back in early 1994 and it has worked flawlessly ever since. It survived extremely cold temperatures and some mean wind storms in eastern Washington State for several years and now it's set up and runnin like a new antenna here in Florida in late 2010.
Thought about stacking this antenna but they aren't as inexpensive as they once were back in 1994 and it works great as a single antenna.
An element will occasionally get slightly bent but they straighten out with ease.
I highly recommend this antenna and I look forward to giving another review in another 16 years.... Unless the antenna outlives me.

KZ3X Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2007 17:16 Send this review to a friend
Works Well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna for over 10 years and have not had any problems with it. I live in a high wind area and have not had any damage since it has been installed. Ditto for any ice damage, this antenna is built to last. It also helped me to achieve VUCC on 2 meters.

Using no more than 350 watts, I have used this antenna to work well over 100 grid squares. The antenna has performed well during tropo, e-skip, or meteor scatter openings.

I tilt over the tower about once a year to make sure all of the 13B2 connections are tight and have never had to do much more than a slight snug on the brackets, etc.

SWR has always been near perfect. For the folks who had problems matching the xcvr to the antenna, I wonder if you ever checked the obvious things that you may have done wrong during assembly.