Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Cushcraft 13B2 Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft 13B2
Cushcraft 13B2 Reviews: 40 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $159.95
Description: 2m 13 element boomer antenna (vert./horiz.)
More info: http://www.cushcraft.com/amateur/details.asp?catid=11

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft 13B2.

WS2L Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2007 08:11 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the 13B2 several months ago when I became interested in working 2 meter SSB & CW. The package arrived and was able to assemble the antenna in just under one hour, the instructions were very simple to follow as compared to some other antennas I have assembled over the years.

Once I put the antenna up in the air I operated in the June VHF contest and was very impressed with some of the signal reports I received and the amount and distance some of the grids I worked. The SWR I found to be 1.1:1 across the entire 2 meter band which surprised me, I did not need to make any adjustments at all.

I'm now toying with the idea of getting another 13B2 and stacking the two of them together. If the results I am seeing with just one antenna I can only imagine what the results will be with two of them phased together.

I highly recommend this antenna to anyone looking for a simple to assemble high performance yagi for 2 meters. I have only used the antenna in the horizontal position but it can be mounted vertically. I can only imagine how well the 13B2 would work on FM simplex in the vertical position.

This is one great antenna and it is worth every penny.

K5VY Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2006 05:12 Send this review to a friend
I'm on my 6th 13B2!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using the Cushcraft 13B2, in various combinations and polarities, for over 8 years. The earlier models used a conventional gamma match and the later models have a "match box".. both work well, the gamma was easier to set up. I've moved around a lot and the antennas came and went. I've used the MFJ 2 meter tuner on low power (<200 watts). My present 13B2 was a gift from a ham in Houston who said "It just don't work right..." I strapped it to the top of my SUV and drove it to my QTH fully assembled. (Slow drive) Set it up the next day, vertical polarity, 1.2:1 SWR on 147.6 FM and never looked back. First contact logged 122 miles away using 120 watts. This Spring, God and my bank account willing, I'm going to put up a pair of 13B2's in vertical polarity using Cushcraft's kit for that purpose about 72' high. I can't come up with a good reason for trying another brand.

KC0WNY Rating: 1/5 Oct 16, 2006 11:33 Send this review to a friend
High SWR  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Have been unable to Get the SWR down to a reasonable level on most frequencys, I used new LMR400 flex coax. I have adjusted till I am worn out, nothing seems to help.

KE9K Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2006 20:19 Send this review to a friend
GREAT SSB ANTENNA !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Use this antenna for 2 meter ssb, and it works just great. Very low swr (1.0 to 1 ) on 144.000 to 145.000. It's been up for 10 years at 65 feet and works just like the day I put it up. Joe ke9k

K5YC Rating: 2/5 Jan 9, 2006 16:39 Send this review to a friend
NOT WORTH THE MONEY  Time owned: more than 12 months
WAS given this antenna from a friend. Mounted it 58 ft on top of tower to use on SSB. Trying
tO work stations 110 miles from me was a pain.
Performance very poor. Wife gave me a M2 2m12
for Christmas. What a difference! Much better
quality and signal. Maybe if 13b2 was redesigned with M2 specs it may work ok. But
for me the M2 is the way to go.

GRIF80128 Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2005 16:52 Send this review to a friend
My first beam-Great!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Remarks: Let's see-extremely long term user's are unanimous that the 13b2 is a great antenna. Hmmmm-who am I going to listen to? One reports out of three 13b2s-one had an anamoly with a solder joint-no other reports of quality issues. Flimsy? I bought mine used from EBay. That means two owners and the post office have had shots at it! It's survived two windstorms that folded 30' masts-my guying learning curve was slow. Couple of bent elements-hand straightened w/no problems. (6M3 on top also survived well.) Cushcraft vs. M2 vs. ? , whatever lights your fire. Find something you like and use it. I use the 13b2 for SSB/horizontal w/low SWR & great reception over a vertical. It's my first yagi, this is my first report and I hope in ten years to give an update. This spring when the tower goes up-it will on top for 2m work!

WB6MYL Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2005 08:49 Send this review to a friend
Works fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
Such a dicotomy of opinions and experiences; don't know why; this antenna has been up for eight years and has worked well w/ low SWR; using it vertically and never had problem working distant 2M repeater and simplex stations.
Regards, Phillip W. Harris, PhD.J.D.P.C.

K8EO Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2005 05:41 Send this review to a friend
Very satisfied  Time owned: more than 12 months
A definite improvement in signal when compaired to the 10 element beam that it replaced at my QTH. Very easy to tune, and its absolutely flat at 144.200. Well worth it.

5B4AFQ Rating: 2/5 Sep 5, 2005 23:08 Send this review to a friend
Very disapointed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Tuned on the US bands , SWR not in an acceptable level on 144.100MHZ. Bought this antenna to use on vertical polarisation accessing distant repeaters , but generaly im disapointed on performance , swr patern.

5B4AFQ

K7MBL Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2005 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for nearly four years, mounted at two different QTH's. We live in the desert southwest and get some really nasty winds/thunderstorms. It has survived without an issue and still tunes flat across the band. I have it mounted on a tripod on the roof of my house exclusively for SSB. Never ran it vertically so can't comment on that. If I can hear it, most often I can work it. I would only trade it for a 14820T to work some of the long distance repeaters in my area (and to keep from running 2, well, 3 antennas for the same band - my farm is getting waaay to big!). This is the only 2m beam I've owned. Works great for me, why leave gold to go find it?

Mike