Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Cushcraft 13B2 Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft 13B2
Cushcraft 13B2 Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $159.95
Description: 2m 13 element boomer antenna (vert./horiz.)
More info: http://www.cushcraft.com/amateur/details.asp?catid=11

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft 13B2.

KC0WNY Rating: 1/5 Oct 16, 2006 11:33 Send this review to a friend
High SWR  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Have been unable to Get the SWR down to a reasonable level on most frequencys, I used new LMR400 flex coax. I have adjusted till I am worn out, nothing seems to help.

KE9K Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2006 20:19 Send this review to a friend
GREAT SSB ANTENNA !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Use this antenna for 2 meter ssb, and it works just great. Very low swr (1.0 to 1 ) on 144.000 to 145.000. It's been up for 10 years at 65 feet and works just like the day I put it up. Joe ke9k

K5YC Rating: 2/5 Jan 9, 2006 16:39 Send this review to a friend
NOT WORTH THE MONEY  Time owned: more than 12 months
WAS given this antenna from a friend. Mounted it 58 ft on top of tower to use on SSB. Trying
tO work stations 110 miles from me was a pain.
Performance very poor. Wife gave me a M2 2m12
for Christmas. What a difference! Much better
quality and signal. Maybe if 13b2 was redesigned with M2 specs it may work ok. But
for me the M2 is the way to go.

GRIF80128 Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2005 16:52 Send this review to a friend
My first beam-Great!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Remarks: Let's see-extremely long term user's are unanimous that the 13b2 is a great antenna. Hmmmm-who am I going to listen to? One reports out of three 13b2s-one had an anamoly with a solder joint-no other reports of quality issues. Flimsy? I bought mine used from EBay. That means two owners and the post office have had shots at it! It's survived two windstorms that folded 30' masts-my guying learning curve was slow. Couple of bent elements-hand straightened w/no problems. (6M3 on top also survived well.) Cushcraft vs. M2 vs. ? , whatever lights your fire. Find something you like and use it. I use the 13b2 for SSB/horizontal w/low SWR & great reception over a vertical. It's my first yagi, this is my first report and I hope in ten years to give an update. This spring when the tower goes up-it will on top for 2m work!

WB6MYL Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2005 08:49 Send this review to a friend
Works fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
Such a dicotomy of opinions and experiences; don't know why; this antenna has been up for eight years and has worked well w/ low SWR; using it vertically and never had problem working distant 2M repeater and simplex stations.
Regards, Phillip W. Harris, PhD.J.D.P.C.

K8EO Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2005 05:41 Send this review to a friend
Very satisfied  Time owned: more than 12 months
A definite improvement in signal when compaired to the 10 element beam that it replaced at my QTH. Very easy to tune, and its absolutely flat at 144.200. Well worth it.

5B4AFQ Rating: 2/5 Sep 5, 2005 23:08 Send this review to a friend
Very disapointed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Tuned on the US bands , SWR not in an acceptable level on 144.100MHZ. Bought this antenna to use on vertical polarisation accessing distant repeaters , but generaly im disapointed on performance , swr patern.

5B4AFQ

K7MBL Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2005 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for nearly four years, mounted at two different QTH's. We live in the desert southwest and get some really nasty winds/thunderstorms. It has survived without an issue and still tunes flat across the band. I have it mounted on a tripod on the roof of my house exclusively for SSB. Never ran it vertically so can't comment on that. If I can hear it, most often I can work it. I would only trade it for a 14820T to work some of the long distance repeaters in my area (and to keep from running 2, well, 3 antennas for the same band - my farm is getting waaay to big!). This is the only 2m beam I've owned. Works great for me, why leave gold to go find it?

Mike

ZS5J Rating: 4/5 Feb 25, 2005 10:45 Send this review to a friend
not too bad  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a new 13B2 from AES in Las Vegas while on vacation a month ago. To make the package smaller to take on the plane back home, I took it out the box, stuffed all the elements into the boom, and put the driven element and other hardware in my baggage. I installed it here 3 weeks ago. It goes together very easily, swr was great at 147.000 mhz - but.....our 2 meter band here is from 144 - 146 mhz, so the swr was 2:1 in the middle of our band. No problem, I threw out the driven element, and replaced it with the same tubing but 3/4 of an inch longer on each side. The swr is now perfect on 145 mhz (I hope it hasn't screwed up the pattern or gain - it doesn't appear to have).
Performance is good, not excellent, but good for the price. There are repeaters 150 miles away that I can access any time, regardless of band conditions. And, 2 weeks ago we had excellent ducting down the coast, and was able to work several repeaters more than 400 miles away.
Negatives - it's a bit flimsy, and performance is good, but not quite as good as my M2.
73, John ZS5J
Richards Bay, South Africa

KK6SM Rating: 1/5 Feb 24, 2005 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Poor Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had mine up for a week and found it didn't work any better than my Diamond X-510MA. It also seemed to be flimsy in construction. So I took it down, disassembled it, put it back in its box and put the Diamond back up. I also have a Cushcraft HF beam that works well. I'm disappointed that Cushcraft would make a 2 meter antenna with such poor performance!