Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | CT Ham Iambic Lever Paddle (CT22) Help

Reviews Summary for CT Ham Iambic Lever Paddle (CT22)
CT Ham Iambic Lever Paddle (CT22) Reviews: 16 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: CT-22 dual lever paddle has matte-black base that measures 3-1/8" square and the paddle stands 2-1/8" tall to the tip of the fingerpieces, and the total weight of the paddle is 1 Lb 6-1/4 Oz. The paddle combines a double-polished natural brass, clear plexiglass fingerpieces, matte-black steel base, SILVER CONTACTS. Spring and bearing tension are easily adjusted on each side, and the contacts can be set for very narrow spacing. Each paddle has a brass plaque stamped with the serial number and year of manufacture. Each paddle is supplied with pre-connected shielded cable and both a gold 1/8" plug and a 1/8 to 1/4" adapter.
More info: http://www.ur5cdx.com/index.php?currency=USD&language=en

You can write your own review of the CT Ham Iambic Lever Paddle (CT22).

WW3K Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2012 15:56 Send this review to a friend
Sweet Paddles  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had mine (S/N 041) since new in 2002, so it's over 10 years old now.

Having previously used nothing but Heathkit keyers (both the HD-10 and HD-1410) with their particular paddle arrangements, the prevalent 'entry-level' paddle back in 2002 was the Bencher. Having used a Bencher, I wasn't too impressed, as I thought its chrome plating would eventually pit over time. Therefore, I chose to import this CT HAM IAMBIC, which is all brass (or bronze?), and I am oh so glad I did. Although it has faded somewhat (easily polished if desired) during its usage over 10+ years, it has never pitted or rusted. Therefore, it is destined to become an heirloom that I will never part with. Has the same weight and feel of a Bencher, and works FB with modern solid state rigs which have their own internal keyers.

Dunno if this particular model is still made, but if it is, I'd recommend you get one for yourself.

N3WXW Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2008 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Good low price key  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my key for just a little over a year. I am not a cw only operator. I will do at least one cw contact a day. I am not a fast sender. I do not squeeze the paddles for every character. I have a few different keys in my collection. Once I get a key I keep it. I like them all !
When I first got this key, I knew right away that I could improve it. It was quite simple to do so. All I did to my key, was I moved one of the plastic finger pieces to the inside of the action beam which made the gap in-between the finger piece smaller by about 3/16". . While I had the key apart . I lubricated all parts with good old 3-in-1 oil. I carefully adjusted the key for a good free action. I also cut a little off of the return springs. the key works great and is my primary key in the home station now .
In the mobile and portable I use my nye paddle.

73 de Ed

UT4UT Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2007 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent one for its price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using the paddle for nearly 3 month. Double lever paddle was my long time dream. Before I have obtained this one I used only a single liver one and my first experience of keying with this double liver one was not very good. It appears that transition period from single to double liver paddle requires some skills and hand “taming”. However, when I’ve gained some experience of keying and achieved proper adjustment I become really enjoy the keying. Excellent paddle with various adjustment of gaps and tensions of livers.
The paddle is made of polished Brass; it looks elegantly near my rig and is worth-while item of my shack. Besides, it is not very heavy and this made it possible to use it in field conditions if necessary.
The disadvantage of the item lays in some complicated way of fixing set gap and tensions.
Excellent paddle for its price!

KY4Z Rating: 4/5 Jul 28, 2006 21:34 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad key once you get the hang of adjusting it ...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I wanted one of these keys for a long time, but was wary of buying one after reading the reviews. I got a good deal on a used one and couldn't resist it.

The key is smaller than you might think, but holds its place on the desk well. As with many other reviewers, I found the adjustments to be rather coarse and difficult to fine tune. It was difficult to get the keying lever's pivot adjustments loose enough to move freely without introducing a great deal of vertical play in the levers. I found that each time I tightened the set screw for the pivot adjustments, the pivot adjustment would change. I learned that to properly set the pivot adjustments it is necessary to allow for this "shift".

I found the spring tension adjustments on the keying levers had too much tension when set at their weakest tension setting. In order to reduce the tension on the keying levers, I trimmed off a turn or two off the tension adjustment springs.

After using the key for several months, I now prefer it to my Bencher BY-1 or Brown Bros paddles. I really like the smaller size, the feel (now), and the clean appearance. I keep the others in the shack, but the Ham Iambic is my only paddle that's always at the operating postion.

I would recommend the key -- just be sure to remember that depending on your preferences, you may need to spend a little time "dialing-in" your Ham Iambic.

K0KES Rating: 1/5 Sep 1, 2005 08:13 Send this review to a friend
not very good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Got this paddle from Anthony Welch on EBay was shipped and very well packed Looks great but not that great to use.Hard to keep in one place on the desk when your sending with it.Adjustments needed to be redone then it would work just ok.I have gone back to my old reliable Brown Bros CTL-B that I have had for years much better quality.Save your money and find a good Brown Bros CTL or BTL much much Better!!!!JOE K0KES

DL6XAZ Rating: 2/5 Jun 27, 2004 04:54 Send this review to a friend
lacking quality  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Hi folks, - cannot but agree with W3DCG in all details. I was expecting better finishing and reliability. I have been prof. mil. sparks and do cw for 4 decades now so I know what to expect from a key or iambic; the good old ETM-4, the tiny Palm Paddle for the FT-817 performed much better than this one esp. what refers to reliable adjustments for speed exceeding 30 wpm. Summarizing: I gave it away and am presently intending to get a Begali or Kent instead.
vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

K4VIZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2004 23:49 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful to behold and sweet to use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Securely packed. Fit and finish on the one I got is perfect and it even came in adjusted correctly.
The polished brass is really pretty and the "feel" is great. It has good stops for the levers, so the neutral position feels good. Spring tension is about right.
Both the CT keys I got have the wiring backwards to convention. The tip of the plug should be for the dits.

HB9TBV Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2004 15:13 Send this review to a friend
a piece of art  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First the key is so well packed and shipped, rating is 6, not only five. Second the key is a real gem. Use it or put it in a collection, you will be happy in both ways. How can the ham in Ukraine do it for this price?

KE3JH Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2004 17:23 Send this review to a friend
great key and price !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
got the ct22 key last xmas and love it ! got it for a great price compared to my vibraplex and my bencher. i do speeds around 13 to 20 wpm with no problems. got the key in a short time. looking to buy another single paddle from the same place. i made a wooden tray and screwed the key onto it so solid as a rock. im happy with it. tnx de jim.

AA6CC Rating: 2/5 Jan 23, 2004 11:20 Send this review to a friend
Marginal  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Looks better in the ad picture than when you get it. Marginal quality, adjustment screws wobble, hard to adjust spacing and tension. requires shim under one of the 4 rubber feet, slop in vertical bearing...right paddle has too much up and down movement. Adjustment screw does not turn...appears to be stuck or frozen with Locktite. Piviot points apear to be metal to metal bearing surfaces. Small size, has an inexpensive look to it. Considering other keys you can get in the $100 price range, this one should sell for $45.00 max new.