Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | CT Europe Iambic Lever Paddle Help

Reviews Summary for CT Europe Iambic Lever Paddle
CT Europe Iambic Lever Paddle Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $119.95
Description: The CT Europe dual paddle has a very unusual design - three hoops on a classic pillbox base. The spring tension and contact spacing for each lever can be adjusted individually with the knurled screws. Bearing tension is adjustable but won't normally need it. The feel of this paddle is extremely crisp and precise. The CT Europe dual paddle has machined coin silver contacts, plexiglass fingerpieces, and an attached cable with 1/8" plug and 1/8" to 1/4" adaptor. Do not forget the double silver contacts, solid silver !

More info: http://www.ur5cdx.com/index.php?currency=USD&language=en

You can write your own review of the CT Europe Iambic Lever Paddle.

K0RS Rating: 2/5 May 14, 2010 20:38 Send this review to a friend
Economy class key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First, a caveat. I puchased a CT Europe used from eBay. Mine is an early serial number, 126, so my experience may not be applicable to later models.

My key showed rather poor chroming. The base was OK, other than the fact the bottom was covered with a "chrome-like" contact paper. However the upper rings were thinly plated and dull at the top of the arc, right where it was the most obvious.

This key is an interesting design and looks far more sophisticated than it really is. The middle ring bears simple trunion bearings while the one furthest from the fingerpieces carries the contact points. The ring closest to the operator's hand, while appearing to set spring tension, does nothing of the kind. It carries only adjustable lever stops. Spring tension is determined by a simple coil spring placed between the levers. Not only is tension not individually adjustable for each lever, it's not adjustable at all, save replacing the entire spring with a lighter or (highly unlikely) a heavier one. The adjustment screws have knurled locking nuts, but inconviently require a screwdriver for actual adjustment.

My key arrived horribly out of adjustment. I ended up going through the disassembly drill to get the key to operate correctly. The secret to an acceptable level of performance is to get the vertical movement of the levers under control. The contact points on my key were irregularly shaped and this percluded any precise adjustment. When using a narrow contact gap one lever would unexpectedly displace in the vertical plane. This would cause a jam against a high spot on the contact points with a resulting string of unintended dots or dashes. Yikes. Complicating all this is the fact that all the adjustment screws use coarse threads.

I was able to resolve this issue by careful adjustment of the trunion bearings. You really have to be careful setting the bearing clearance as a bit too tight and the levers jam and drag or a bit too loose and you have vertical movement in the levers. It does require removing the fingerpieces and lever stop ring to get to the set screws on the second ring that hold the trunion adjustment. It is a fairly involved procedure, and definitely not something that you could do on the fly. Fortunately it isn't likely to be repeated often once they're set propely.

After all this fiddling, what do you get? A key that performs better than a Bencher, IMO. It doesn't fall apart unexpectedly nor does it have the vague, rubbery feeling of the ubitquitous Bencher. But I hope your happy with the spring tension, or you may be down at your local hardware store pawing through their selection of shorter or lighter springs. FWIW, spring tension on the Bencher is non-adjustable as well.

This key is an attractive design and I think the chrome plating is improved in later models. It offers a level of performance commensurate with its price, which is to say, "Economy." It is definitely a interesting conversation piece. The maker, Yury, UR5CDX has an impeccable reputation and deals direct via eBay or his website. If you aren't a demanding QRQ operator that requires the level of precision and performance found in $300 plus keys perhaps a CT Europe can find a happy home in your shack.

LA5ZO Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2008 00:46 Send this review to a friend
Geat paddle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice and steady base. Good feel to paddles.
Spring tention and movement perfect right out of the box. I purchased this key from the manufacturer on ebay and it was delivered in less than a week from the Ukraine. Very good finnish.
73's Geir/LA5ZO

W4RIG Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2007 14:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can't understand some of the complaint that downgraded this product. It works very well as received and looks great. I am so pleased that I ordered another product from this same seller and expcect it to be just as fine as the last one. The product seems to ship from the Ukraine even though the address given in the seller's information is in the UK (perhaps the UK in this case is a different shorthand for the Ukraine rather than the normal abbreviation for the United Kingdom). The product arrived in less than 10 days from the Ukraine to the US.

WU2X Rating: 2/5 Jan 30, 2007 22:08 Send this review to a friend
Could be better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a bit surprised by the other reviews here. A couple of level sets - one I am new to CW and two, I have seen two of these paddles in person, including the one I own. I compared this paddle to a Bencher. I was attracted to the styling of this paddle first and foremost. Second, it can be had for a decent price on eBay.

Upon receiving it, I noticed the chrome is nice and heavy on all the parts - but only the sides of the parts you can see have the full chrome on them - not really a big deal. Meaning the bottom is not fully chromed and neither are the inside of the "hoops". Second, the final polishing of the chrome looks like they used too much abrasive and didn't step down to a finer grain for a final polish. End result is that there are visible polishing scratches all over this thing if the light hits it just right. The seller told me to ship it back at my cost for a replacement, but I am no where convinced that another would be different and I didn't want to waste my shipping money. Keep in mind I saw this on two of them ordered a month apart.

Next, it was wired backwards. Again, both models that I saw. Quickly fixed - but seriously - did they even test it? It obviously required some adjusting. The lock nuts that hold the set screws wouldn't turn easily - I had to take them all off and work them up and down and put some light oil on them. They still don't turn freely. After using the paddle for awhile, I started to really try to dial it in. I had some inconsistency with the keying compared to the Bencher. I never could dial in a comparable feel to the Bencher - that would be a light, positive snap, with short throw. And I spent hours and hours working on it.

I finally decided there was too much vertical play in the paddles and they each could not be adjusted to have the same "feel". One would click nicely and the other would just wobble its way "in" without a positive click. This makes it hard to send cleanly.

So I finally dismantled it completely and lubed and adjusted the pivot points tighter, and put some ProGold contact conditioner on the contacts. Note you can't adjust the pivot point tension without major disassembly it because the set screws that hold the pivot screws aren't accessible with the paddle assembled.

After I did all this, I got it to an acceptable level. And really, it was a bit a fun to tinker with. I like that kind of small detailed work. But ultimately this design isn't mechanically the best and the fit of the parts are mediocre. This adds up to a key that I will probably replace at some point.

G0DJE Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2006 05:13 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
You need to spend a few minutes adjusting this...would have been quicker to find all the adjustments available if there had been instructions...but once set up it's a lovely key to use...and it stays adjusted!

Recommended.

KI1U Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2006 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Great key  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have been using this key for about a year and a half now and it is a solid performer. I've used Bencher, Vibroplex, and others this one is first class!
Great for contests, dxing, and casual qso's

W8AIR Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2004 13:06 Send this review to a friend
Feels Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've used many keys over the years (first licensed in 1966) and this one I like! Very crisp and clean. Stays put and looks good, and best of all it's priced right.

K6MGO Rating: 4/5 Apr 25, 2004 13:34 Send this review to a friend
All in all, worth the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got my CT-Eur about three days ago. Looks good, although the finish shows minor scratches under the shinny chrome plating. No information came with unit, but, easy to figure out how to adjust the gap on contacts. Has a nice feel and stays put on the desk when using. This is my first high-end paddle, so can't compare it to any others. My other dual lever paddle is the NorCal Kit. I also have a Kitano key, that is like a piano with dual vertical keys. Really best way to key. don't know why more keys are made this way.

G4OFV Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2003 12:17 Send this review to a friend
Top Key  Time owned: more than 12 months

This key is tops, takes a bit to adjust but when it done its is really smooth one of the best I had the pleasure to own / use and at a very reasonable price.
The finger pieces may look strange took no time to get used to them and they give a very comfortable sending position.
Nice and heavy wont budge when putting though itís paces.
Just be carefully cleaning / dusting this beauty as it is very very easy to scratch the mirror finish.
This is a must if in the market for a new key.