Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-208H Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-208H
Icom IC-208H Reviews: 136 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $319.95
Description: 2M / 70cm mobile with 55 watt VHF and 50 watt UHF xmtr. CTCSS/DCS encode and decode, tone scan, detachable and remotable control head, 500 ALPHA-NUMERIC memories, etc

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-208H.

WB4COJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2014 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Great mobile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2. One was bought new in '03, the other used from a friend getting out of Ham Radio 2 years ago.
When I buy a new radio, I download manuals and play "what if". Example: what if there is a repeater on the same frequency in another area, but on a different CTCSS. How does the radio detect this and load into a memory? The radio with the least keystrokes wins.
I was a professional radio technician and had access to test gear.
The receiver in this radio is hot. Broke squelch at .1 uv, 20 Db at .18.
The transmitters get their rated power. If tested with more than a 1:1 SWR, the radio will lower its power to avoid frying a final. Mine are mounted under the passenger seat and the display where it can be read easily. This is important with today's smaller cars. Separation cable comes with it.
The fan running is not an issue.
Also likes is the computer program to load frequencies, power, CTCSS etc.
Problems: I wore out a PTT switch.
The radio has a tendency to wipe out memories when subjected to starter spikes. Mine are powered thru a relay to the battery, which is keyed by the "accessory" line in the cars.

W9OS Rating: 4/5 Jul 1, 2014 19:09 Send this review to a friend
Worked great for a few years.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had the radio for a few years now. Mobile for local repeaters.Has worked great.
It now draws 1 amp when off.
1.35 amps on in receive only.
It only puts out 25 watts VHF
It has trashed my car battery few times now.
It sounds like the VHF Mitsubishi power module is the cause. $37 RF Parts
I'll let you know the outcome
Has anyone else seen this?

KC4BTU Rating: 4/5 May 14, 2014 10:46 Send this review to a friend
Keying issue  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased an ICOM 208 in 2009 and am extremely pleased with it. I must use it on low power if I am within 30-40 miles of a repeater. I like the fact that I can set a call freq. with the mic. either by up-down scan buttons while driving, imputing via the mic. or using the tuning knob. All useful mobile functions are on the mic. I also receive public service freq.
The only issue it has developed is an intermittent tendency to not release the transmitter when I release the mic. PTT key. I have replaced the mic. and cord. It worked ok for a few weeks, then the same issue arose again. Has anyone else had this issue?

WA0ZZG Rating: 3/5 Apr 24, 2014 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Built like an Avonics Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got one of these at an estate sale about a year ago. It does a great job except for one quirk. This radio looks to have been designed by an avionics engineer in that there is not one single internal adjustment for alignment. Everything is done via the computer from the front panel, EVERYTHING. The quirk is that for no particular reason, an alignment point 'hops'. It changes value on its own.
Otherwise, this radio is exceptional.
It appears that frequency alignment is the most noted but there are others. The AM detector is only something an Avionics engineer would come up with but is does great. It has active temperature compensation in that the CPU monitors the case temperature and alters alignment values to compensate. It has four front ends. All are well designed and tracked tuned by the computer. The 800MHz is not so hot.
Synthizer alignment won't put it right on frequency because the computer moves it in defined steps but it's still possible to get it within 100Hz at 450MHz.
An alignment jig is needed but can be made by cutting a short data network cable in half, stripping the wires and doing a little soldering. The schematic is in the service manual. If ICOM ever figures out why the alignment points hop, this will be an exceptional radio. Dave...

SA3AYF Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2014 01:31 Send this review to a friend
Great rig !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Never mind the so called wobbly knobs (I have not had any problems with this), this is a fantastic radio.

Small in size but packs a lot of punch !

Also, as all Icom, modulation is crisp and sharp.

Since I have had the opportunity to do an A/B -test I can safely say that the front-end of
this radio is MUCH better than the newer and bigger IC-2820 in all aspects,
especially selectivity.

For the prices these radios are currently selling,
buy one ! Forget about FT-7900 etc, this is a far better rig.

Me very happily ;)

NW0LF Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2013 19:32 Send this review to a friend
After 13 years, still strong.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a long overdue follow up. I bought this radio back in 2000 or 2001. Most of it's life it has been mobile. It has been in and out of at least 6 vehicles. It looks a little worse for wear and the mic is a bit sun faded but it is still as strong and awesome sounding as when I bought it. It has always been remote mounted and I am still using the original remote cable. I finally replaced the mic cord as I couldn't get a new RJ-45 connector on that soft cloth like wire. I have no plans on replacing it. Actually, I did replace it--with a Kenwood TM-281 in the house so it could go back in the car.

Tom, NW0LF

K9IKE Rating: 4/5 Dec 9, 2013 15:13 Send this review to a friend
Get One!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've owned both the Icom 207 and the 208. The
Icom 208 is by far the better radio. When used
in a hi rf area the 207 was rendered totally un-
usable. The intermod on 2m was so bad that a very
strong machine was not copyable. That very same
repeater was received with no problem with the
Icom 208. I was also able to test other machines
with no problem whatever using the 208. Also the
distant repeaters in my area that I can keyup
with my Icom 706 ( but cannot hear ) I have no
problem at all hearing with the 208. Programing,
no problem. With great ears, great rejection,
and a very readable display... why not??

WZ3O Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2013 11:10 Send this review to a friend
Nice Dual Band single receive..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Could be a 4.7 so I'll round up...

Just got one used for a good price in very good condition, functionally and cosmetically..

Good size display, love the extra wattage, does what I need without spending hundreds more. Easily programmed with cable that came with, and Chirp, it's free and very functional, use it for my other Icom rigs as well. Need to relearn how to do memory channels from the rig/mic, just in case Hi...

Frequency receive range is quite impressive, as to the Intermod mentioned, I've not experienced it, however not living in a densely populated area, probably get a pass on that.

So as time goes by hopefully I still feel this way...I expect to.

W0FEN Rating: 4/5 Oct 18, 2013 09:50 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 of these radios. I have replaced the Mic cord on both. That is the main reason for the 4 instead of a FIVE. The squelch is designed with a strange behavior. Why reduce the RF gain?? This radio is more susceptible to front end intermod in high RF environments. The radios were bought about 2005. They both are still going strong as I write this. The nitpick is that both only put out 50 Watts on 2M instead of the rated 55 Watts.

WA0ZZG Rating: 4/5 Jul 26, 2013 09:30 Send this review to a friend
Great find  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found one, still in the box, at an estate sale. It appears the original owner checked it out then put it back in the box. The filled out warranty card was still with it. Sensitivity is very good, almost too much. Power out is as stated. Reported xmit audio is good. The PC software CD was in the box but no cable. Good thing I already have an ICOM cable. Used the software to load up about the first 120 memory locations. My intent is to use it mobile along with an old Motorola speaker but right now this combination sounds great on my bench. It has really good AM aircraft audio. I haven't found anything wobbly or feels loose yet. Hoping it does just as good in the mobile environment.
Dave WA0ZZG